Joy of Driving: The F40 & 675LT Spider

SSO

Joy of Driving: The F40 & 675LT Spider

Post by SSO »

Spent a wonderful day last weekend just driving the Ferrari F40 and McLaren 675LT Spider. Here's the write up on it:

https://karenable.com/joy-of-driving-th ... lt-spider/

Thoughts and comments?

What car do you most enjoy driving?
RobYob

Re: Joy of Driving: The F40 & 675LT Spider

Post by RobYob »

SSO wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:40 pm "I do believe that fitting ceramic brakes and a modern low lag turbo set up on the F40 would utterly ruin it. "
Character is a damn obtuse thing isn't it. Making an icon like the F40 objectively better, would unmake it's Effortiness. Although I imagine that feeling isn't universal. In one of your older articles I think you talked about how the attributes of the Daytona are no longer elliciting so much affection as times and tastes change.

I spend a lot of time at work thinking about human perceptions of linearity and in the pursuit of "perfection" linearity of response in general is something to aspire to. However, turbo lag might be the exception that proves the rule, the introduction of a little bit of chaos and danger makes the experience better, albeit, less than perfect.

Case in point, one of my most enjoyable/exciting/memorable drives was getting hopelessly lost, misguided, back when Satnav wasn't Google's all seeing eye, on route to somewhere and spending hours driving my little MR2 across sand and gravel. loss of traction everywhere, a cavalier disregard for stone chips, utterly bemused four wheel drivers' and a hell of a chaotic good time was had.