McLaren 600LT - In sickness and in health

mik

Re: McLaren 600LT - In sickness and in health

Post by mik »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:45 am
I question the aerodynamics of Super Pursuit Mode.
How DARE you? :evil:

When one of the front wing... erm... winglets pops out it shows some awful paint masking :geek:
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:36 pm The video is like Super Pursuit Mode :lol:

Also, did they just pick long words for "Passive Laser Restraint System"?
You know LITERALLY NOTHING!!! The super pursuit mode aero was to help stability at the 420mph Max speed. :roll:
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

scotta wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:54 pm
mik wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:36 pm The video is like Super Pursuit Mode :lol:

You know LITERALLY NOTHING!!! The super pursuit mode aero was to help stability at the 420mph Max speed. :roll:
It that were true, @Nefarious would have put Super Pursuit Mode on the Westfield already. Quod erat demonstrandum, YC. 8-)

Can anyone confirm if Dave! has Super Hirsute Mode on any of his vehicles?
Banal Vapid Platitudes
scotta

Post by scotta »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:49 pm

It that were true, @Nefarious would have put Super Pursuit Mode on the Westfield already. Quod erat demonstrandum, YC. 8-)

Im still waiting on him fitting the nitrous kit i helped him fit the ITB trumpet extensions for.
Nefarious

Post by Nefarious »

scotta wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:14 pm
Jimmy Choo wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:49 pm

Im still waiting on him fitting the nitrous kit i helped him fit the ITB trumpet extensions for.
It's on the list ;)
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
revsRus
Currently Driving: Mclaren 600LT
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

I’m gonna pick this back up since many months and miles have passed since I started having teething issues.

Today the car is on 8,300 miles having started on 1130 when i bought it. God only knows why the first owner drove so few miles in over 2 years. I’ve done 7,200 in a little under 8 months.

To pick up where i left off with the thread title I’d had some alarming issues to begin with that manifested in the first couple of weeks. I’ll describe them now.

1. Oil leaking onto garage floor after every drive, evidently running out from, intermittently, passenger or drivers side rear wheel
2. Blue smoke chuffing visibly from right bank exhaust outlet when idling, especially after hard driving
3. Continual frustration at “key not found” message resulting in engine not starting, roughly every 1 out of 3 times I went to start the car

I had the car aligned at a reputable indie garage in East Kilbride and they advised me that the blue smoke would be turbo related or valve stem seals. Happily, being under warranty, I booked the car into Mclaren Hamilton and they identified the problem to be an oft-seen faulty “V module” [still absolutely no clue what this is] and they rectified it quickly with zero cost to me. Happy days - I was impressed/relieved with how quickly and comprehensively it sorted all oil/blue smoke issues.

With regards to the “key not found” issue I’ve realised the programming assumes that the car will be locked and subsequently unlocked before the engine is asked to be started again. So if you leave the key in the car to nip into the shop or whatever you’re going to have issues restarting it, whereas if you execute the sequence a programmer (at a keyboard in laboratory conditions) would expect you to make the car will be happy to allow the engine to restart. A bit shite yes but easy to accommodate if you adopt a sympathetic mindset.

Zap to here and now, I’m currently at the nurburgring!! 🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻. Actually my 2nd outing here since I bought the car in January but the first time was during the dreadful floods a few weeks ago so the nordschleife was closed due to staff being tied up volunteering with the relief effort. A very sobering atmosphere.

Since the hurdles described above I’m happy to report that the car has been nothing but astonishing and now that I’ve driven the last 3 days on the track I’m struggling to find the words to describe how competent and thrilling it is. My previous best lap with the GT4 was 7:46.2 and this evening i managed 7:45.6 with traffic hold ups at several key points during that lap, so I’m hoping to get into the low 7:30s before I leave next week. I’ll certainly post here if anything particularly interesting/disastrous happens or if I manage to get into the 7:30s or faster :)

Peter “mad Pete’
revsRus
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

Oh - summary of costs

2 new trofeo R tyres - €900
New front brake pads - €815
Annual insurance - £4200
Fuel, 7,200 miles @ estimated 12mpg - £4500 ish

Not bad at all I reckon. Although rear brakes will need changed by the time I leave next week and front tyres probably too.

New rear brake pads - €700
Front Trofeo R tyres (225😳/35/19) - €650 at a guess
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Great update
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Glad to see you’re enjoying it and using it as intended. Would be nice to see some more pics
revsRus
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

My old man unexpectedly being able to sliver into the passenger seat for a reluctant shot

“Carpark in the sky” near loch lomond sort of

On the channel tunnel in July with the trucks/freight due to wideness

Me (left) and Belgian friend Maarten (flatmate from Uni in Glasgow) at Spa in July - a life memorable day

The car’s home now on display (apart from when i visit to drive it) at ring garage at the nurburgring

Obligatory nurburgring sticker application

A wee drive i had today waiting for the track to open at 5.30pm. When I subsequently recorded a new PB of 7:45.6
mik

Post by mik »

revsRus wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:48 pm Image
Oil leak after every morning after driving
FTFY
Last edited by mik on Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mik

Post by mik »

revsRus wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:48 pm

My old man unexpectedly being able to sliver into the passenger seat for a reluctant shot
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Amazing stuff 8-)

How on earth do passengers react to something that quick on track... I'm thinking vomit could be a factor :? :lol:
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

8-)
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Living the end of petrol dream!

Costs surprise me, in my brain hmmm tyres surprisingly cheap, brake pads, wtf! I realise ADL probably don't do OE equivalents :lol:
revsRus
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

speedingfine wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:30 am Amazing stuff 8-)

How on earth do passengers react to something that quick on track... I'm thinking vomit could be a factor :? :lol:
I sat in my mate’s gt3 last year when he went round at approx 7:55 pace and it was really quite unpleasant. The grip these sort of cars generate is beyond what the mind thinks is possible when turning through high speed corners. Pretty terrifying as a passenger
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

The car’s home now on display (apart from when i visit to drive it) at ring garage at the nurburgring
It is living there permanently now?
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

jamcg wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:25 pm Glad to see you’re enjoying it and using it as intended.
+1 great stuff 8-)
revsRus
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:26 am
It is living there permanently now?
It makes great sense to leave it at the nurburgring to be able to drive it on the track any time with just a short flight away. Couple of problems with that though.

A. It’s just as brilliant on the road so I really miss having it for Friday night/weekend fun in Glasgow
B. It’s due a service in December and I suspect having a ‘local to the nurburgring mclaren dealer” stamp somewhat gives away the car’s use history and could potentially devalue it massively

So the balance is prob to drive it home in November then bring it back to the Nurburgring in March/April. Which is exactly what I did with the GT4
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

revsRus wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:29 amSo the balance is prob to drive it home in November then bring it back to the Nurburgring in March/April. Which is exactly what I did with the GT4
ROAD-TRIP!!! I call shotgun!!! :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…