TVR Chimaera Thread

Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Re: TVR Chimaera Thread

Post by Delphi »

Nice work, Carlos! Maybe we should start a cold start video thread! V8s only, none of these tree-hugging 6 or 4 cylinder toys!
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
mik

Post by mik »

Nice 8-)

I suspect the stereo will remain firmly OFF for most of the time, but it’s nice to have for steady-speed cruising.

I look forward to you getting to know it a bit better and wanting that extra 30-odd bhp. :D
mik

Post by mik »

Delphi wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:33 am Nice work, Carlos! Maybe we should start a cold start video thread! V8s only, none of these tree-hugging 6 or 4 cylinder toys!
Can we add previously-owned cars with proper engine configurations? :?

Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Proper location for the battery is in the passenger footwell ! I wonder why they moved it to the boot.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:54 am Proper location for the battery is in the passenger footwell ! I wonder why they moved it to the boot.
Seems to thing to move them to aid access to fusebox (mines been lowered and bolted onto the bulkhead) and give a bit more passenger legroom. I’m torn on whether it’s a good thing as the battery is in an electrically opening boot.....
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

mik wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:49 am Nice 8-)

I suspect the stereo will remain firmly OFF for most of the time, but it’s nice to have for steady-speed cruising.

I look forward to you getting to know it a bit better and wanting that extra 30-odd bhp. :D
That’s exactly what it’s for (the headunit is a flip out screen pioneer with CarPlay/android auto so it can do nav duties on the planned tours too) but the right music also enhance a fun drive for me too. I think it goes back to the beginning of the Italian job, the car, the sound, the scenery and music all create the right setting for the experience.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

drcarlos wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:33 am I’m torn on whether it’s a good thing as the battery is in an electrically opening boot.....
... sat right on top of the fuel tank...
Delphi

Post by Delphi »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:54 am Proper location for the battery is in the passenger footwell ! I wonder why they moved it to the boot.
Weight distribution?
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
mik

Post by mik »

Delphi

Post by Delphi »

Here's mine

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

I’m amused by his quibbling of 7kg either way affecting the weight distribution :lol:

He’ll need to fit a second steering column now, and only drive the car whilst sat astride the transmission tunnel with one hand on each steering wheel :lol: :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

I’d love to see him packing the shopping in his boot in Adsa carpark, arguing with his missus “no no NO - open the pack - three tins of beans on each side goddamit” :D

@Delphi that seems like it is pretty loud too...
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:30 am
I’m amused by his quibbling of 7kg either way affecting the weight distribution :lol:

He’ll need to fit a second steering column now, and only drive the car whilst sat astride the transmission tunnel with one hand on each steering wheel :lol: :lol:

There seems to a a weird obsession with weight and distribution in the community (we all know about single marque forums don’t we?) and I had a somewhat weird chat with a parts supplier this morning. I’d ordered a cover for the targa as mine was missing and the supplier called me to say the lightweight version I’d ordered wasn’t available but did I want the heavy one instead? He told me he could just swap it out as some people are very, very anal about the extra 1kg the heavy covers adds! I told him I didn’t give a shit I just wanted to ensure that the mohair didn’t get damaged and to send whatever cover he had.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I’ve got a friend at work who just got a vxr8 and he also has the magnaflow exhaust too, I can see why they are loved.

The 928 though, never heard one like that, they’ve always been a bit muted, that one sound sweet though.

Cant beat a good v engine though and some of the sixes (370z) sound great too.
Delphi

Post by Delphi »

mik wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:55 am
@Delphi that seems like it is pretty loud too...
It is. Too loud. I'm having a custom stainless steel back box fitted in a few weeks. Hopefully that'll quieten it down. It just doesn't suit the car being that loud.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Delphi wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:00 am Here's mine

Mmm... Farty. 8-)

Although some warning about the ending would be appreciated. I'm trying to eat some Frazzles. :evil:
Banal Vapid Platitudes
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Been busy ordering/sorting stuff over the past few days.

Paint is matched (of course I had to drive to the suppliers yesterday to ensure a correct match, such a bummer on a nice day with the roof down!) and I just need a list from my neighbour to get ordering the paint, hardener and clear coat.
Ordered the replacement cover for the rear light.
Ordered a replacement cooling fan as one is ceased.
Extender for the aerial cable (not that I’ll use the radio much but it might be useful to have).

After driving along several times for miles with the indicator on (seems a common issue as the tell tale is way over to the left of the dash out of line of sight) I’ve ordered the parts to retro fit a warning beeper.
Also figured I’d order the parts to do the same with the headlights as the tell tale is not that bright.

There are useful guides on how to add the beepers for both lights and indicators so it seemed silly not to do the jobs for the cost of about £10 in bits.

I seem to be adding jobs at the moment without ticking any off, but the paint is definitely my priority now.

Will drive it for the last time on Friday before it gets stripped on Saturday for prep.
Delphi

Post by Delphi »

drcarlos wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:47 am
I seem to be adding jobs at the moment without ticking any off,
Welcome to classic car ownership! :lol:

I had about 10 jobs to do when I first got the 928 - My list currently stands at 16 and I've done 5 off the original list!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

So I've done a few more jobs over the past week or so.
The biggest has been to sand the entire front of the car to make it ready for final priming and top coat, must have put in at least 10 hours with the block and have also done the stoppering and re-sanding.
I've fixed the small piece of damage next to the rear light and sanded the new cover to fit the hole (plus hand painted the inside black band inside the cover to match the old one as it hides the adhesive) so that can be painted to match now.
The new bits of glasswork (the joins of my original body to the front cut, plus my repair at the rear light area) will get localised drying before painting to minimise chances of micro blistering however my painter (who runs the production paint shop at a Woking based manufacturer, who makes some very nice composite cars) tells me microblistering is more down to water in the lines contaminating paint on the spray itself or incorrectly stored (i.e. covered) composite cars and I'd be inclined to listen to him. The rest of the front is still all sealed with original paint from my car and the front cut as they only keyed and primed the majority.
I've also added some small brackets to the seatbelt mounts to move them out from under the roof when folded as they get stuck, I could have bought some for £20 but I had the metal and tools to do it kicking around so it made a nice Sunday job, I will be buying the seatbelt headrest retainers though as they look nice in polished stainless.
I discovered a leak in the boot too and traced it to a numberplate light which was mounted with white silicone I'll be cleaning this off and re-doing it with black Sikaflex when I do the rest of the adhesive work.
I discovered the secret emergency door release was broken as the plastic cam that pulls the cable was missing so I made a new cam from aluminium and connected the cable.
Ordered the replacement indicators in clear as I think they look better (will store the amber stuff in case I feel I want to go back at a later date). The wing repeaters were common mk4 fiesta parts and easy to source, the fronts were military landrover units and are rare in clear (actually sidelights), so rare that they are £50 each new and used, well I got the only 2 for sale in the country but for £45 for the pair, so a decent saving.
Also have made a Jag type front grill (stainless mesh type) to replace the restrictive and damaged original that I have. I haven't decided if I'll keep it stainless or paint it (a bit of etch prime and some satin black is something I can do later easily) yet but it felt like a waste to paint the front end and put the scabby old one back on.
Paint begins this weekend with the bonnet I hope.
Getting fairly itchy feet about getting out in it more, but I must be patient and get this paint, tyres and lambda sensor done first.
I'll also be helping my brother move his VFR400 NC30 Mk1 barnfind rescue project out of my inclement weather storage too.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Its been a couple of weeks since I last updated this now so time for a further installment.
The bonnet is now painted and has had its first sand and polish (a further one to be done on the car with the painted front).

A bit of paint and polish

It was only resting there for a few mins while we were sorting the prep area and is now in my garage on a workmate.

The front end is also now painted but not polished and the headlight cowls also done too. We should get the polishing on those done next weekend. During the week I hope to get the engine bay painting done so I can also refit the cooling system (it can then move again under its own power).
I've got all the service parts ordered too. New oil and ramair filter, some 15/50 race oil, coolant and a set of night breaker bulbs to improve the headlights.
The front end getting paint felt like a big leap towards getting it finished and the only places that need colour coat now are the rear quarter and mirror casing.