TVR Chimaera Thread

drcarlos

Re: TVR Chimaera Thread

Post by drcarlos »

duncs500 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:24 pm
Did he expand on what happened in terms of the damage.
He told me he hit the armco at about 40mph. I think it did pretty well.
mik

Post by mik »

Most excellent news about the engine. 8-)
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

That is great colourful history :)
Think I would prefer a nicely tuned engine and some bodywork needing doing rather than otherway round.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Well it arrived today. I've booked a couple of days off to get some jobs done.

I did take it for a quick drive to see what needed doing. Didn't last long as they'd only filled the cooling system about halfway so the temperature gauge got quite toasty. I stopped let it cool and came home.
I discovered the oil pressure gauge wasn't working
Sterring wheel pissed
The alarm wasn't doing anything
The fans are not working
It does need a small repair at the rear light and a new cover for the light.

The gauge was easily fixed once I found a wire in the nose cone that wasn't connected and determine that the colour was oil pressure. Connected up and it's was all good.
Steering wheel was easy too as it's 6 allen bolts and straighten. THe reason it wasn't straight is not a concern as I know after the accident the previous owner took off a PAS conversion and put it back to manual (I'm pretty sure i'll convert it back) and probably just got the splines out in haste.
Filled up the cooling and fan it up, much better. Still no fans, a job for tomorrow.
The alarm controls everything and the immobiliser wasn't kicking in nor would the alarm set or doors lock. Dash apart, the monkeys had bypassed everything after the ECU issue so I worked out that the ignition live wasn't connected and neither were the 2 immobiliser circuits all usefully black wires.
I managed to identify them all after I downloaded a manual and once they were all connected correctly it's all come to life.
My quick drive revealed it's like driving a thunderstorm. Seems to have plenty of go but I've hardly even stretched it's legs.
The obligatory video's will follow once I get chance over my long weekend. Hopefully having it driving by Monday.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-) Great work so far, don't be shy with pics of the various bits and bobs you are doing!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:34 pm 8-) Great work so far, don't be shy with pics of the various bits and bobs you are doing!
this!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

As the dash is still all in bits I’ll take some pics tomorrow. It’s not what you’d call pretty though, definitely had made in a shed written all over it!
Just ordered a new set of rain sport 5’s as the old set are rain sport 2’s and must be about 10 years old.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Yes, keep up with the pics. And give me a shout if you need anything 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

drcarlos wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:04 pm Blah de blah blah
Yeah yeah - but how did it sound ? 8-)

;)
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Birds nest

That's what I had to decipher yesterday. Now onto the fans and when its a bit later I'll do a cold start video.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Found the source of the fan troubles. When I was looking in the dash yesterday a wire popped out the stereo aperture with a bare end. I taped it over just in case. This morning I pulled out the fan override switch to find it only had one wire connected with a terminal with no wire attached.
A quick test with a multimeter confirmed it was indeed the wire I found should be connected to the switch. So a new crimp fitted and were in business.

Fan switch broken

Spent the rest of the day running cables fitting the front speakers and cutting the bulkhead to fit the 6x9s i bought.
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Here we go, the requested cold start video.

Cold start video
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-)
mik

Post by mik »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 8-)

16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

8-)
Beany

Post by Beany »

That sounds like absolute filth.

Your purchase has my approval. ;)
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

I tell you though the camera nowhere near does it any justice. Maybe I'll try with the dslr and shotgun mic.
Need to get out it in now I've fixed the glitches.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

drcarlos wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:00 pm Here we go, the requested cold start video.

Cold start video
Su-bloody-perb.

The bravery, the spend and the work all paying off.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

mik wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:47 pm Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 8-)

You're looking good, mik. That bow really suits you.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I just need to go and change my trousers after listening to the TVR start.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Kept myself busy this weekend sorting out the holes in the interior and fitting the amps i had left from the scooby along with the battery conditioner and finding a proper location for the battery that was previously just sat on the boot floor.

Weekends work

I then actually took it for a test drive. Which was an experience. I've waited a long time to drive one and it didn't disappoint. Its not a car that you can totally relax in. It's alive with smell and noise, I kept a feverish eye on the engine temps but they held between 80 and 90 (having enough water certainly helps) one fan works but I think the second is dead so I'll order a new one once I've tested it today. It's definitely over fuelling so fitting the o2 sensor is a priority.
Speed wise it does certainly go and seems to come on cam at about 3500rpm and steps up quite rapidly wanting to break traction in second when it hits. It's going to be something I'm going to take time to get to know and I'll leave the current map in place for a while as adding another 30 or so bhp isn't needed yet.
Anyway I'll use it this week and next weekend the prep for paint starts, my neighbour is going to show me the ropes and pass on some of his 25 years of experience (he's a painter at mclaren).
Today I'm going to give my back a bit of a rest and enjoy the sunshine.