The Exige is Dead

Maurice

The Exige is Dead

Post by Maurice »

I've had the Exige for approaching 5.5 years now, in which time I've managed to put just over 25 thousand miles on it. With just under 35k on the clock, it was becoming increasingly difficult to ignore that it would likely need some work doing to it for it to remain fresh and any increase in performance was going to cost a significant amount, of which I'd see very little back. With that in mind, the Exige is dead...

...long live the Exige.

I started looking at replacements around the turn of the year and all of the usual suspects entered my mind. Having driven various GT3s over the years, they are undoubtedly very impressive bits of kit, but they just seemed to lack a little bit of intensity of the Lotus to my mind. I did consider a GT4, but again thought they may be just a little bit too polished for my tastes. I was also mindful that I'd be terrified of putting too many miles on either given my budget, and also the spectre of big bills should something go wrong. A certain secret agent from around these parts had to put up with several weeks of my indecisiveness around what to opt for, but in the end however and, in an amazing display of a complete lack of imagination, this Cup 430 has just turned up.

It's the first one off the production line having been owned by the previous owner since new. Metallic black with black alcantara/carbon interor. It's also had 4 point Schroth harnesses fitted, together with a speaker upgrade and slimline sub in the footwell (lightweight of course). Most importantly, it's somewhat unique in that I'm fairly confident it's the only Cup 430 with a cupholder. A Cup 430 Cup, if you will.

The spec and various additions over the years are as I would have ordered/done to the car, even down to little details like the painting of the carbon roof (as I think it looks fairly disjointed if left naked), the removal of the matt black transfer surround of the carbon engine cover that they normally have fitted (which I think looks pretty cheap) and the gloss black Lotus lettering against the matt black rear section. The previous owner had first class taste to my eyes.

I've only had it out briefly, but on first impressions it's a world apart from the old Exige. My old car was putting out in the region of 370bhp and 295lb ft as it had been fettled slightly. This has closer to 440bhp and 325lb ft of torque (they're reportedly a little healthier than official figures suggest). It also weighs almost 100kg lighter. As such, when punching it in second, it's completely breath-taking. You can really feel the difference in weight too as, when combined with the 3-way Nitrons and the forged wheels or Cup 2s, it's got a simply astonishing front end. It makes the older car feel resolutely flat footed in comparison. The Nitrons are amazing too, as it feels well controlled but not fidgety or crashy. Undoubtedly more focussed, but not at all tiresome.

It's fair to say I absolutely love it already and cannot wait to be able to use it properly.

8-)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: The Exige is Dead

Post by Rich B »

It's alright I suppose...

....😀 serious bit of kit - like it!
mik

Post by mik »

:lol: Love the photo comparison. Hadn’t appreciated how much further the diffuser in the 430Cup extends til I saw that.

Interior looks classy, but mate - I can see your linkage! :o

Need to get Marty to capture another couple of images of the new one Up North when it is allowed. 8-)

Spec is very tasty - keen for a p-ride.
Last edited by mik on Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Tre-fucking-mendous. What a fabulous machine!!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-) 8-) 8-)

It's a thing of beauty, joy and wonder. I absolutely love it.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Looks shit. 8-)
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Nice one mudge :D
Marv

Post by Marv »

Ooof, what a weapon. Looks superb mate, enjoy 😁👍
Oui, je suis un motard.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Meh ;)
The artist formerly known as _Who_
GG.

Post by GG. »

Looks awesome - it must be seriously rapid with 440hp!

p.s. someone has stolen your garden chairs ;)
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Tasty that is 8-)
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

That is lovely 😎

Cold start video ASAP!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

That is magnificent 8-)
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

That is nice, also slatted rear window 8-)
How about not having a sig at all?
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Awesome 8-)
John

Post by John »

Very nice 8-)

Must go like the clappers!
dan

Post by dan »

That is tremendous 8-)
Beany

Post by Beany »

Looks shit.

Wait, that other one - nicely done.
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:19 pm That is nice, also slatted rear window 8-)
You can barely see out the back, but instead allows you to focus on one of the great little details on it. The throttle butterfly valve sits on the back side of the chargecooler, meaning that when you heel and toe you can see it dance back and forth in the rear view mirror.

That is, when you’re not holding on for dear life, of course. As you’ve all mentioned, it’s rabid in a straight line.
tim

Post by tim »

APPROVED!!