Wheel alignment

Nathan

Wheel alignment

Post by Nathan »

I just replaced the outer track rod ends on my sisters Mk3 Megane and sent her away to get the wheels aligned.

When doing so, the left was removed and replaced with 20x rotations and the right 18x. Bolt lined up etc.

The guy said they couldn't do much with the camber (?!!) Are the uneven numbers due to the uneven rotations when refitting ?

Results below.

Real-life Females
mik

Re: Wheel alignment

Post by mik »

Shouldn’t affect it.

I have tried the “count the rotations off and replicate with the new one” before. It only works if the new track rod ends is exactly the same length as the old one - which was something I never experienced. (Maybe buying genuine oem parts does give you this?).

Anyway - it won’t affect the camber. The before and after numbers look close enough to just be measurement variation - and if there is no camber adjustment on the front of a Megane (?) then I guess what he says is true.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

There generally isn't any camber adjustment on French tat. And as an aside there's often no adjustment of any geometry on the back :lol:
Last edited by Swervin_Mervin on Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NGRhodes

Post by NGRhodes »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:30 pm And ad am aside there's often no adjustment of any geometry on the back :lol:
There is often plenty from wear and flexing :D
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Yes replaced with OEM parts, whilst it may not have camber adjustment surely the unequal lengths would contribute to the camber?
mik wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:23 pm Shouldn’t affect it.

I have tried the “count the rotations off and replicate with the new one” before. It only works if the new track rod ends is exactly the same length as the old one - which was something I never experienced. (Maybe buying genuine oem parts does give you this?).

Anyway - it won’t affect the camber. The before and after numbers look close enough to just be measurement variation - and if there is no camber adjustment on the front of a Megane (?) then I guess what he says is true.
Real-life Females
mik

Post by mik »

It just dictates where the actual centre of your steering rack is when your steering is pointing straight ahead.

Camber is dictated by the upper mount and lower arm. If it changes during suspension travel (which it will) then ride height will affect it.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

There was no camber adjustment on my C Class.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

👍👍
mik wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:57 pm It just dictates where the actual centre of your steering rack is when your steering is pointing straight ahead.

Camber is dictated by the upper mount and lower arm. If it changes during suspension travel (which it will) then ride height will affect it.
Real-life Females
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The castor angle means a wheels camber angle changes as it’s turned. If the tracking was out and the wheel was pointing one way then you’d expect the camber to change once it was pointing where it was supposed to.
Cheers, Harry