Busted

DaveE

Busted

Post by DaveE »

Got an intent to prosecute letter for 67 in 50 section of (normally 70mph) dual carriageway.

This puts me into Band B (by a rather annoying 2mph).

Band B could be a pretty stiff penalty:

"Disqualification for 7-28 days or 4-6 points on your licence"

There's a possible fine too (up to 100% of weekly income)

It's a section I know well, and have driven 100s of times - got done by a camera van - they must have made a fortune on that day!

Just got to wait now and see what happens next.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Busted

Post by Rich B »

I didn't even know there were bands!
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Rich B wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:54 pm I didn't even know there were bands!
Me neither...

Band B (in a 50mph limit) goes from 66-75mph (inclusive) - so at the top end of Band B you could be doing +50% of the limit.

Somewhat oddly (IMO) Band B extends to 40mph, in a 20mph zone - i.e. double the limit.

And arguably, 40 in a 20 is likely more dangerous than 75mph in a 50 (especially on a dual carriageway)

Not sour grapes, I was speeding after all! :)
mik

Post by mik »

Really? I’ve even heard some of their numbers from the hit parade - on my wireless.

Bad news Dave :( when you say it is usually a 70 - were there roadworks or something? :?
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

It's a section of 50mph on the approach to a roundabout.

Everyone just uses that section to coast down from 70 for the roundabout.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

ironically, on such roads I tend to drive the M140i slower than I used to the C250D - it's more noisy, uses far more fuel.

The BMW feels faster, so I actually end up driving more slowly on motorways etc
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just a warning that the M20 contra flow average speed cameras are operational as of the beginning of Feb. Can also confirm that they’re on both ways.

I’ve also noticed that the smart gantries above the M20 used to only take pics when they were illuminated with a speed less than the NSL previously but I’ve recently seen cars go through them at 80 and get flashed even though the displays on the gantry are off.

Councils are desperate for money but that’s expected.
How about not having a sig at all?
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:03 pm Just a warning that the M20 contra flow average speed cameras are operational as of the beginning of Feb. Can also confirm that they’re on both ways.

I’ve also noticed that the smart gantries above the M20 used to only take pics when they were illuminated with a speed less than the NSL previously but I’ve recently seen cars go through them at 80 and get flashed even though the displays on the gantry are off.

Councils are desperate for money but that’s expected.
I've seen a few random flashes from the cameras that are by the sides of gantries.

A few weekends ago, I was going around the M25, and passed a VW van - I was doing high 70s, he must have been doing about 10mph less than me.

I didn't get flashed, and he did.

Odd.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yes if the signs were off I used to happily go through at 85 with those gantries on the M25/26/20 but seen so many cars flashed at 80 that I don't bother now. They must have brought down the tolerance to catch more drivers.
How about not having a sig at all?
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

DaveE wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:58 pm And arguably, 40 in a 20 is likely more dangerous than 75mph in a 50 (especially on a dual carriageway)

Arguably?? Definitely IMO.

Had luck mate - hope you get a sensible outcome...
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Bad luck Dave. I got done for 67 at the beginning of lockdown, but in a 60 limit. I drove that same road yesterday and since I could see no camera van I went a bit more quickly. Seems a speed awareness course only slows you down for a while :lol:

Do you have Carplay in your M140i, or can you enable it? Waze is very good for warnings of camera vans etc.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:18 pm Bad luck Dave. I got done for 67 at the beginning of lockdown, but in a 60 limit. I drove that same road yesterday and since I could see no camera van I went a bit more quickly. Seems a speed awareness course only slows you down for a while :lol:

Do you have Carplay in your M140i, or can you enable it? Waze is very good for warnings of camera vans etc.
I can use Waze on my phone.

One of those things when you're doing a journey you've done a 1000 times, you just don't put a sat nav on.

I've never seen a camera van in this location either.

Just "bad luck" - although as I said, I know what the limit is etc.

It's a bit annoying having had a clean licence for so long
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:59 pm
Really? I’ve even heard some of their numbers from the hit parade - on my wireless.

Well you learn something new everyday, it's what I go to school for.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

DaveE wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:34 pm
Jobbo wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:18 pm Bad luck Dave. I got done for 67 at the beginning of lockdown, but in a 60 limit. I drove that same road yesterday and since I could see no camera van I went a bit more quickly. Seems a speed awareness course only slows you down for a while :lol:

One of those things when you're doing a journey you've done a 1000 times, you just don't put a sat nav on.

You don't need to put a destination into Waze for it to announce camera vans, hence its utility. Particularly with Carplay.

Of course, I say this but don't use it myself, preferring Google Maps anyway. But then most of the time I'm sitting on the motorway at 70 anyway.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:13 pm
DaveE wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:34 pm

You don't need to put a destination into Waze for it to announce camera vans, hence its utility. Particularly with Carplay.

Of course, I say this but don't use it myself, preferring Google Maps anyway. But then most of the time I'm sitting on the motorway at 70 anyway.
Yeah, appreciate you don't need to use it as a sat nav to get the warnings.

What I meant was that I'd never consider opening a sat nav app when doing a journey like this.

I didn't need navigation, and I guess I've always lived on my wits and not speeding (too much) to avoid prosecution before.

Maybe this will change my habits, so I do start using an app like this on every journey, purely for speed cameras/vans
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

I make sure I've got Waze on all the time now after getting caught for the first time in January.

I honestly thought I'd been caught at 120+ so I was very relived when the letter came and it had got me at 69 in a 60.

One online speed awareness course later and 85 quid worse off, and I can say it has made me do one further check when I'm overtaking other traffic now, look for the camera van before engaging warp drive 😂
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I few years ago I got done for 80 in a 60 and got 3 points, no safety awareness course offer ( unsurprisingly )
Cheers, Harry
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

I was going to resurrect my done for speeding in my beach buggy when the wheels weren't even rotating story, but I won't bore you... ;)
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

A guy I know got done for drink driving while repositioning his car in the parking space. His girlfriend had parked to too close to the wall so he went outside, backed it out a few feet (front wheels didn’t leave the space), repositioned it and when he got out plod we’re waiting.

This was in Sydney.

He need to drive for work so had to hire his mother in law to drive him round for the next year
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Ended up with 3 points and a £100 fine.

I think that's a good result considering what it could have been.

I guess having had a clean driving licence for years helped towards that.

It sucks having points again after so long...