Busted

16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Re: Busted

Post by 16vCento »

That's good news, I wonder if they actually use these bands or not?
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

DaveE wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:50 pm Ended up with 3 points and a £100 fine.

I think that's a good result considering what it could have been.

I guess having had a clean driving licence for years helped towards that.

It sucks having points again after so long...
Did you get that by a fixed penalty in the post? Good result.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

It was a very odd process...

I had a letter that basically said "Pay £100 online here, then send us your licence. We'll take a look and either add three points, or refund you, return your licence, and take further action"

It was unclear today when I got my licence and that letter back again whether I'd actually got points, or if it was going on to something worse.

It was just stamped "Processed"

I had to log on to DVLA to actually confirm that I had been given three points.

But I'll take three, compared to what it could have been...
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I did a speed awareness course online this morning - they have dumbed down a LOT! I did one about 10 years ago, and it was a 4 hour slog in a shitty room at the TRL. The one I did today was done in 2 hours, with a 15 minute break in the middle!

If you know how to tell what the speed limit is on a road, and a few other basics we should all know anyway, then you're pretty much able to chip in with answers quickly (I hate awkward silences on courses) and keep it moving!

Painless punishment/rehabilitation (apart from the £90 cost!)
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Sorry to bring the memories back Dave! But did you have to provide any mitigating circumstances to help with 'only' getting the £100 fine and three points?

Had a notice through earlier for 48 in a 30. Camera van parked on the central reservation of a two-lane dual carriageway and thought they only get the cars coming towards them. Obviously not! I'd seen it ages back but thought I'd be absolutely fine.
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

KevH18 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:29 pm

Sorry to bring the memories back Dave! But did you have to provide any mitigating circumstances to help with 'only' getting the £100 fine and three points?

Had a notice through earlier for 48 in a 30. Camera van parked on the central reservation of a two-lane dual carriageway and thought they only get the cars coming towards them. Obviously not! I'd seen it ages back but thought I'd be absolutely fine.
Hi, no I just filled in the form and sent it off.

I'm not sure there really are 'mitigating circumstances' when it comes to speeding? (In terms of how you'd be viewed)
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

You'd have to go to court (which means you're already onto a loser) for the mitigation to become relevant. And it's not mitigating circumstances to get off the charge, it's mitigation to limit the impact if you'd suffer undue hardship (for example, a larger fine and a shorter ban if that may affect your infirm family members who you drive round...)
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

DaveE wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:39 am
KevH18 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:29 pm

Hi, no I just filled in the form and sent it off.

I'm not sure there really are 'mitigating circumstances' when it comes to speeding? (In terms of how you'd be viewed)
Thanks Dave. I can't say there were any circumstances which would made me speed like that, other than me being an utter tool.

I'm the upper end of the band b whereas yours was lower end but had a clean licence for 13 years so hopefully that will be taken into account.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:23 am You'd have to go to court (which means you're already onto a loser) for the mitigation to become relevant. And it's not mitigating circumstances to get off the charge, it's mitigation to limit the impact if you'd suffer undue hardship (for example, a larger fine and a shorter ban if that may affect your infirm family members who you drive round...)
I'd read on an article they send a different type of form back when you've confirmed you were driving but maybe not then. I don't want to dispute it but thought if there was something you could put on the form about clean licence etc. it would mean it's a standard fine/points rather than percentage of wages and at least four points.
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

I have a conditional offer of 3 points and £100 so looks like I've got off lightly! I'll be sending it back very quickly!