Why I won’t be buying an EV anytime soon...

V8Granite

Re: Why I won’t be buying an EV anytime soon...

Post by V8Granite »

Bit of electrical tape and my cars will be saving the planet 😎

Dave!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yep, have another slab of nice eco friendly plastic made so you can show the world how in touch with the environment you are 8-)
Cheers, Harry
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

V8Granite wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:55 am Bit of electrical tape and my cars will be saving the planet 😎

Dave!
How much charge does the tape hold?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
mik

Post by mik »

jamcg wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:57 pm Anyone already with an ev planning on fitting one of the new green number plates? They launched today

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/road ... n-uk-roads
I checked with Mrs mik last night.

She be like....
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:25 am
V8Granite wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:55 am Bit of electrical tape and my cars will be saving the planet 😎

Dave!
How much charge does the tape hold?
This cat is a 100% powered by renewable energy tape.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug5UeeV2Nj0

The world of tomorrow, today!!!

Dave!
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Loving the Citroen Ami concept. Shame it's limited to 26mph but that's probably a safety thing, you wouldn't want to crash it at any more than that.
Left over crest; tightens.
mik

Post by mik »

Since we are enjoying full covid confinement for another few days, I decided to wash and dry the cars in preparation for a coat of wax.

As it was an ex-demo I’d already decided I wasn’t going to rush the E-Tron off for PPF, but I did want to get a coat of half-decent (R222) wax on it rather than whatever “quick detailer” the dealership would have undoubtedly used to prep it for us. One item they missed was the myriad of tar spots on lower wings and front door sections, so that had to be cleaned off first with some parafin.

It’s far from a perfect mirror - there is visible light orange-peel effect on the surface, but even though it is new paint, the shine is pretty deep for a quick single-coat of wax imho.

All the little ridges and strakes on are a PITA to clean btw. :evil:

Have ordered some more G-Techniq G5 for the wheels as it has been superb on the Evora alloys. Probably due another coat on them now I think about it as it has been about 4yrs....

Foz

Post by Foz »

How’s it going then?

The corporation tax write down for me is too tempting, and I have enough ICE cars to be fair :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Going just fine. She loves it.

Have been able to keep charge topped up at home - often for free via the solar panels on our roof. Proper 7kw charger being fitted right now as we speak though in case we need a bigger charge - taking advantage of the £650 installation rebate currently (haha) available.

Still v impressed with its refinement. And with 60% rear bias it drifts great in teh snow.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Beardy weirdys next door have replaced their ageing Picasso with an all electric Renault van. The garage was converted into a bedroom before they moved in so to charge it they are running the cable out of the bedroom window. I’m curious to see how they get on with it seeing as pre COVID she was up and down to London for XR protests.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Zonda_ wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:19 pm Beardy weirdys next door have replaced their ageing Picasso with an all electric Renault van. The garage was converted into a bedroom before they moved in so to charge it they are running the cable out of the bedroom window. I’m curious to see how they get on with it seeing as pre COVID she was up and down to London for XR protests.
She will be leaving earlier....

Dave!
mik

Post by mik »

7kw charger now installed.

Trickle charger was adding 4miles range per hour - now able to add 17miles range per hour, so about 12hrs overnight for a full charge. Which is a situation it is unlikely to face regularly at home....
Foz

Post by Foz »

What’s the real world winter range?

A mate with a model 3 performance reckons its gone from
250-200.
mik

Post by mik »

Depends on use profile. Doing reasonable distances it seems to be 180 odds.
If you just jump in an do a mile to the shops then it has to heat up and condition batteries n shizzle so probably 100 if that’s all you did!
Foz

Post by Foz »

Tesla model 3 performance 2 hour test drive on Saturday..
mik

Post by mik »

Have fun
scotta

Post by scotta »

Foz wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:55 pm Tesla model 3 performance 2 hour test drive on Saturday..
They are great. I really liked it.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Very very interesting, had the Model 3 Performance for 2 hours yesterday.

Everyone’s read about them already, full of toys, kids love it, ridiculous performance, especially roll on real world 30 to above the NSL, no one needs more.. TLGP king as well 😂

Slightly iffy interior, lovely and airy though, good toys, decent sound system..

The futures here, and with a genuine 200 mile range, I think it’s a great daily, my accountant is getting called Monday to go through the numbers in detail..
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

With the thought of an EV in mind, and having an Economy 7 meter on my electricity supply, I thought I'd check what the hours of cheap electricity are. Turns out that Bulb is absolutely useless at telling you. After going round in circles with them cutting and pasting the info on their help page - including the line about contacting them, which was the whole reason I had contacted them - they have given me some clearly duff info now so I am still trying to find out.

This sort of info should be easily available. If you're going to charge your electric car overnight you will want to make sure it's charging on the cheap rate.

Does anyone actually know the hours their Economy 7 cheap rate operates?
mik

Post by mik »

Usually midnight til 7.

Might get some variation across providers by 30mins?