Why I won’t be buying an EV anytime soon...

DeskJockey

Re: Why I won’t be buying an EV anytime soon...

Post by DeskJockey »

Odd. I've only just installed the Zap Map app (alliteration, always a joy), but not created a profile. Wonder if it is a TomTom thing then. Car reports it is plugged in and that gets added to the map.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Simon

Post by Simon »

This is the BS around councils and EV nerds claiming that 'x many charging points are installed', whilst omitting to mention that a lot are private chargers and therefore don't count for public use.

Out of interest EV owners, what would happen if you were out? Is there anything physically stopping me pulling up in an EV car and using your charger?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

No, if you can plug in you can charge. I'm looking at options for controlling it. Whether a code or some kind of lock.
---
Barry

Post by Barry »

Simon wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:09 pm This is the BS around councils and EV nerds claiming that 'x many charging points are installed', whilst omitting to mention that a lot are private chargers and therefore don't count for public use.

Out of interest EV owners, what would happen if you were out? Is there anything physically stopping me pulling up in an EV car and using your charger?
Pretty sure they say "commercially available" when they state charging points, otherwise every single plug outlet could technically be included.

My charger is in the garage, so they'd have to break in to charge 👍
Simon

Post by Simon »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:24 pm No, if you can plug in you can charge. I'm looking at options for controlling it. Whether a code or some kind of lock.
:shock:
Barry wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:27 pm
My charger is in the garage, so they'd have to break in to charge 👍
Challenge accepted.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Barry

Post by Barry »

I think these smart chargers can be set to alert you when charging is initiated, so you'd be able to cancel it if someone rogue tries to steal your power. That said, they'd be there hours to get anything worth worrying about 😂
mik

Post by mik »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:24 pm No, if you can plug in you can charge. I'm looking at options for controlling it. Whether a code or some kind of lock.
You could always set it to “STOP” via the app? :D
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

You can set a pin on ours that restricts charging. Problem is that if I program the car to charge overnight, at some point before that time I then need to enter the pin on the unit.

Only one more step with I'm plugging the car in, but a bit annoying anyway
---
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Just to add onto the charging points and charging at other people’s chargers.

What’s the etiquette on charging when visiting, I’d tell someone to piss off if they wanted a top up. It’s akin to asking someone for a tenner for petrol at a petrol station?

Or in the community is it a bit of a given that this is the norm?

This isn’t anti EV in any way, if any of you chaps popped over you’d get well fed and watered and I’d even let you have a shit, charge your car though, piss off :lol:

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

If someone runs out of range and kills their car then that’s Darwinism. I want to watch them piss themselves, starve to death and suffer whilst waiting 6 hours for a recovery truck to arrive :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Not had the opportunity to find out yet. If our guests wouldn't have enough charge to make it home/to their next destination, I wouldn't mind them charging. But I'd also expect them to offer paying for what they're using.
---
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:49 pm If someone runs out of range and kills their car then that’s Darwinism. I want to watch them piss themselves, starve to death and suffer whilst waiting 6 hours for a recovery truck to arrive :lol:
All while they’re at your house - probably better to let them have 10p of precious electricity really 😂
mik

Post by mik »

I’d expect people coming round to know in advance and either plan to avoid needing a charge or to ask, but if they were 200miles away and planned to top up at Sparkies before they arrived only to find all the Sparkiesuperjoules were broken, then yeah I’m going to let them use our charger. I have even checked how long the cable is on ours so I know I can close the garage door and still have plenty cable for someone to pull up in the driveway and use it.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I thought we’re mostly on about random people though. It would be pretty annoying to be listed on Zap-Map and have a few random visitors every week asking if they can have a top up.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I never even thought about it before, I presumed there would be some kind of lock or you would have to hit yes on a phone app etc.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I assumed they locked as standard but clearly not. Used to use a Chargemaster one at my flat and it had a key to turn it on. The BMW one at my parents is the same.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

On the Zappi you can set a five digit code (but only using 1-4, because why?).

But yes, to avoid strangers trying to take advantage although I think it would be rather unlikely where we live.
---
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:40 pm On the Zappi you can set a five digit code (but only using 1-4, because why?).
It’s either a code or a sniper tower!!!

Dave!
Barry

Post by Barry »

The lack of obvious security, and planned EV motorcycle down the line, were part of the reason I had mine fitted inside the garage.

That said, a visitor would need hours to gain any range/costs from a 7kw charger, not worth worrying about.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

V8Granite wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:44 pm What’s the etiquette on charging when visiting, I’d tell someone to piss off if they wanted a top up. It’s akin to asking someone for a tenner for petrol at a petrol station?
I'd offer / insist that they top up. I don't know what kind of hosts you lot are! :lol: