Why I won’t be buying an EV anytime soon...

Mito Man

Re: Why I won’t be buying an EV anytime soon...

Post by Mito Man »

The stupid thing about forcing EVs on everyone is that as it is, one can purchase a Kia Picanto for however much it costs per month or £10k and have a car which is capable of driving anywhere and doing over 400 miles to a tank. I would like to see how long it will take for an EV which costs the same and does 400 miles to a tank.
How about not having a sig at all?
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

An EV makes perfect sense for us as the only driving that gets done is short trips of < 10 miles. We've had the V60 for just over 3 years and the Mrs started to idly browse cars. I suggested an EV and she flat out refused the idea. Not even a hybrid. She wanted a Porsche Macan until she saw how much they were, she seemed to think paying more than £200 per month for a car is a lot! :roll:

I think we'll wait until next year and see if I can change her mind. Quite fancy a Polestar 2, but because I've got the 928 we agreed she gets to pick the next family car.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Looks nice mik.

EV might feature in my next fleet decision, but it really depends on life choices I guess. If we go to a three car fleet, then one ICE (or PHEV) family car, and one full EV city car would probably be ideal, but £££.

If the wife can cope without a car then ICE/PHEV would be the choice. I need to replace the Focus next summer, but TBH I can't see anything remotely EV being able to compete on cost, which will really be my only consideration (I only do significant mileage through work, and that's all covered by them).
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

EV's are brill, I just wouldn't want to do a Cornwall 350 mile trip in one....just yet. I think the 2030 date is fantastic news and can really drive the green economy. I just have to find some sort of killer business angle on that!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I wouldn’t buy a mundane petrol engined car and that’s what’s keeping me away from an EV.

The Renault Zoe was a plan but now the TT is proving cheaper than any electric car. That’s not a like for like though and my maintenance labour is free.

It will happen but even a fast Tesla I was bored of after a few runs.

It’ll be really interesting to see where it goes though, there is a lot of fanciful nonsense but also a lot of room for improvement.

Dave!
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Very nice Mik 8-)

I must be getting old, though - as my first thoughts on cars like this, especially with those mirrors are "I bet they're expensive to fix/replace"
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Same :lol:

Surely there’s a way to use a funky wide angle camera in a mount tucked much closer to the body and use some sort of distortion correction filter to bring it back to a normal flat image for the internal screens?
Cheers, Harry
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

My only thinking is that as it’s an SUV you want wider “mirrors” in case you tow something - it’s not like you can strap on a mirror to that stub is it.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:15 am My only thinking is that as it’s an SUV you want wider “mirrors” in case you tow something - it’s not like you can strap on a mirror to that stub is it.
they wouldn't go to the expense/compromise of producing those for the 3 people who'll be towing a caravan. If you need long mirrors for that it's not beyond the realms of science to make a long set that stick on without the mirror stalk there.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Who's buying a £60k EV to tow a caravan :lol:

At least you'll have somewhere to stay while it's charging I guess.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

And it’s already pretty wide. I towed our van with our Disco3 & 4 without any mirror extensions, and it was a Euro spec van so 2.2m wide (ie more than UK vans). Never an issue.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:54 am Who's buying a £60k EV to tow a caravan :lol:

At least you'll have somewhere to stay while it's charging I guess.
Everyone from 2030 onwards is my guess.
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

I seem to remember that the outer tip of the door mirrors is required to be a little wider than the widest part of the car's bodywork. This being a safety factor for vulnerable rear wings on some cars when going for narrow gaps.

Apart from that I'd make the towing of caravans a criminal offence. ;)
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:15 am My only thinking is that as it’s an SUV you want wider “mirrors” in case you tow something - it’s not like you can strap on a mirror to that stub is it.
Standard mirrors are a no-cost option (on grades that have the virtual door mirrors as standard) for those people. Or I'm sure someone will work out how to clamp a towing mirror to the etron's stumps.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

PaulJ wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:17 pm I seem to remember that the outer tip of the door mirrors is required to be a little wider than the widest part of the car's bodywork. This being a safety factor for vulnerable rear wings on some cars when going for narrow gaps.

Apart from that I'd make the towing of caravans a criminal offence. ;)
I’m not a caravan lover but I’d say if we ban caravans we also need to ban race car trailers, horse trailers, anyone with a trailer Ofer 750kg basically :lol:

As much as I’m not a fan, I’d love to see a 300hp and gazillionty lbs/ft of torque electric car decimate all at the lights towing a caravan 8-)

Dave!
Last edited by V8Granite on Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I have 3 trailers but no caravans :lol:
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

The problem with going ballistic at the tlgp with the Van on the back is, if anything isn't fastened down or stored properly, it promptly fucks off out of the cupboard its stored in, and smashes on the worktop, and the smell of rhubarb gin doesn't half take some getting out 😂
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:57 pm

As much as I’m not a fan, I’d love to see a 300hp and gazillionty lbs/ft of torque electric car decimate all at the lights towing a caravan 8-)

Dave!
then spend the next two hours re-charging to do the rest of the journey!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Yeah, we're a long way from EVs being useful for that sort of thing.

If Saint Elon's electric lorries work out it'll probably be a good start.
An absolute unit
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

From a technical point of view evs would be perfect for towing.

However in the real world it ruins all the hard fought efficiency gains and absolutely destroys the range.

So yeah, unless they start making caravans with built in additional battery packs then a cross country caravan trip will take some planning.

Luckily you’ve got somewhere handy to sit and have a brew / watch tv / have a snooze while you wait for it to charge up again.
Cheers, Harry