Why I won’t be buying an EV anytime soon...

ZedLeg

Re: Why I won’t be buying an EV anytime soon...

Post by ZedLeg »

GG. wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:24 am
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:19 am Your Green Party membership is in the post btw ;)
Is the Green party sponsored by Albemarle these days?
Never let a little joke get in the way of trying to gotcha someone over politics GG :lol:
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:56 am I insist on a review on the mirrors.
May try and do something for you n Rich, but in the interim - here is one I didn’t make earlier.

Edit: this car also has the 5-spoke “blade” alloys that really don’t work for me - the look visually heavy (man).

Last edited by mik on Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

mik wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:35 pm Image
The reflections in that picture make it look like it's got a trafficator. 8-)

Nice motor(s).
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I must have been drinking too much again but I’m certain there’s an etron in my flat parking with normal mirrors.

Are the larger cities in Scotland becoming anti-ice-car too then?
How about not having a sig at all?
GG.

Post by GG. »

ZedLeg wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:38 am
GG. wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:24 am
ZedLeg wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:19 am Your Green Party membership is in the post btw ;)
Is the Green party sponsored by Albemarle these days?
Never let a little joke get in the way of trying to gotcha someone over politics GG :lol:
🎣
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:55 am I must have been drinking too much again but I’m certain there’s an etron in my flat parking with normal mirrors.

theyre an option!
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:59 am
Mito Man wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:55 am I must have been drinking too much again but I’m certain there’s an etron in my flat parking with normal mirrors.

theyre an option!
Correct. Part of std spec for the Launch Edition.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Hang on a minute. The etron has been out over a year hasn’t it? I thought the Honda E was the first car with camera wingless wing mirrors virtual mirror no mirrors mirrors :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

I declare your babbling to be accurate
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Very nice. I can see the appeal and cost case for a family SUV that gets a lot of use, rather than say a small city car where you're paying a big premium for it and not doing the miles to benefit. Having a quiet refined ride with an awesome stereo sounds spot on - and not a little unlike my experience with my £1100 A8 4.2 :)

Some friends have an I-Pace (previously, a Galaxy) and a Boxster, so a similar pairing to your good self.
Left over crest; tightens.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Nice car.

There's plenty of non-Tesla 100+kW chargers now (lots of new BP Chargemaster, Shell and Instavolt ones are) south of the border and absolutely loads coming in the next year. Much better situation than when the etron was launched. The Tesla advantage is nice but eroding away these days.

(Honda E is the first car with camera mirrors as standard on all levels - etron they're an option)
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Very nice indeed.

I thought virtual mirrors would let them get rid of anything protruding from the door and there would instead be some clever wide-angle lenses secreted somewhere. What else is housed in those protuberances?
Cheers,

Mike.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Ascender wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:40 pm Very nice indeed.

I thought virtual mirrors would let them get rid of anything protruding from the door and there would instead be some clever wide-angle lenses secreted somewhere. What else is housed in those protuberances?
I've wondered this as well, given how much smaller the Honda e jobbies are.
mik

Post by mik »

Just the camera plus an indicator as far as I know. I think the problem with wide angle lens mounted inboard is the users ability to judge distances to what you see in the mirror - would be like looking into a big convex conventional mirror. :?:

Edit: Honda gain some distance from the driver by mounting on the door itself. They do still look further inboard than the Audi ones though.
Barry

Post by Barry »

mik wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:58 pm
Barry wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:17 pm
I assume you're au fait with Fully Charged on YT, loads of useful info on their library of vids, including a test of your lovely new motta.
I wasn’t really until recently. Jonny is absolutely convinced EV are the future eh? I was absolutely aligned with his comments on the level of refinement.
He is for mainstream use, but he still says there's a place for ICE fun cars, offset by the wider EV use. Bobby L is quite balanced in his approach too, EV certainly plays a part in the near future of travel and reducing emissions in cities, but they aren't the "fix the world" solution some fanatics seem to think. It's an ongoing discussion.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Barry wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:00 pm
I assume you're au fait with Fully Charged on YT, loads of useful info on their library of vids, including a test of your lovely new motta.
I wasn’t really until recently. Jonny is absolutely convinced EV are the future eh? I was absolutely aligned with his comments on the level of refinement.
He is for mainstream use, but he still says there's a place for ICE fun cars, offset by the wider EV use. Bobby L is quite balanced in his approach too, EV certainly plays a part in the near future of travel and reducing emissions in cities, but they aren't the "fix the world" solution some fanatics seem to think. It's an ongoing discussion.
I just can't get on watching RL's videos. He comes across as far too EVangelistic about it. I realised the other day I don't think I've watched any FC vids since Johnny left apart from maybe some of the tech ones presented by others.
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

Where's the cold start video, thats what we're all waiting for!
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Yep, I dip in and out of FC these days. The recent interview with the guy who had his Ferrari 308 converted was good and that's where they do well IMO. Plenty of others are doing good coherent coverage of new electric cars now and RL is not (by his own admission) a good car reviewer. It's a shame Rory Reid hasn't done more for them, Autotrader seem to be keeping him busy.

I like Jonny Smith's whole approach to cars. EVs are brilliant for everyday mundane stuff and will mean there's enough petrol left to keep interesting old things going to enjoy.
scotta

Post by scotta »

You seem to have glossed over the part where I helped you go over budget by approximately 45.83% #evonomics
Simon

Post by Simon »

Barry wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:00 pm
I had a quick chat with Bobby L on Twatter when I took him to task about cost savings, and his claim that EV wascheaper to run on when looking at total cost. I said it was disproportionate when ICE fuel has duty then VAT at 20% and leccy has 5% VAT and that's it, and that road charging would change this. He countered saying that 'the ICE is expensive to maintain, unreliable and that's bad for poor people'. I thought later that I should've countered that his recently departed £80k Model S is the most unreliable car on the roads according to consumer reports, has no ICE at all, so what's his excuse for that? Neither cheap nor reliable.
The artist formerly known as _Who_