Why I won’t be buying an EV anytime soon...

mr_jon

Re: Why I won’t be buying an EV anytime soon...

Post by mr_jon »

Word from.the wise on the battery lease, go for the lowest amount - 59 squid? - as rci never check usage. Worst case and they start checking it, the excess is exactly the same amount anyway.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Cheers, noted.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Simon

Post by Simon »

DeskJockey wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:44 pmMarsden.
Ah good darts. Good luck to Mrs Jockey.

My Mum did her whole career there as a radiologist. Long time ago now obvs. Very satisfying career though, for the most part. She worked under a pioneering doctor there was pretty famous back in the day.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Simon wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:41 pm

My Mum did her whole career there as a radiologist. Long time ago now obvs. Very satisfying career though, for the most part. She worked under a pioneering doctor there was pretty famous back in the day.
Dr Who??
Simon

Post by Simon »

McSwede wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:41 pm

Dr Who??
:lol: :lol:
The artist formerly known as _Who_
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

McSwede wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:41 pm

Dr Who??
Witch doctor?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Electrician rang me today, because in some system somewhere it is registered that our house has a 40A electric shower installed, and we therefore need the main fuse upgraded from the current (sorry) 60A to a 100A one.

It doesn't stop him doing what he needs to do, and as we removed that unit about five years ago, it makes no difference to us.

But, at some point in the next few weeks UKPN will come out and do whatever they need to do.

I had no idea that you had to register stuff like that anywhere. Makes you wonder! I assume it was registered when it was bought.

As the consumer unit is in the cupboard under the stairs, it has also prompted us to clean it out and decide on how to organise it better.
---
mik

Post by mik »

Will that delay the install Alex or just moh papahwerk?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Neither for me. The Zappi has a monitoring device built in, so if the total draw nears the limit of the fuse, it'll stop charging.

Electrician said he can still install on Tuesday, and it will be functional when he leaves.

So, just a curious tidbit (knock on wood, fingers crossed) that won't cause me any issues.
---
mik

Post by mik »

8-)
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:26 pm Yadda yadda, blah blah, SUV, just show us the virtual mirrors in action! 😎
I meant to answer this some time ago, but a tiny video example.

Image quality is great and now when I am in the car my eye goes straight to the screen when I want to see behind. Muscle memory.

This is my favourite view - fading light - you can see the camera adjusting exposure to provide a clear image without any glare. In full darkness they remain fully black so as not to distract. When you put an indicator on that side flips to a virtual-convex slightly wider image. If something is sensed in the blind spot the whole surround yellows as a warning.

We have had the mirrors mist up - so the screen goes fuzzy - cleared by heaters successfully so far but this does appear to be a problem with them.

DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Looks good.

Found another annoyance with the Zoe. There's a charge management function in the app that lets you set a schedule for the week. But, every time you disconnect the car from the charger it forgets the scheduling and starts charging as soon as it is plugged in again. It is apparently a "feature".

I can see the point in that if you're out and about and plug the car in, it'll charge rather than wait for the programmed times, but it isn't beyond the wit of man to have an "I'm home" setting so that it follows the programming unless overridden when it knows it is home. That could either be done using the Sat Nav or in the information exchange with the charger when connected.
---
mik

Post by mik »

That does seem silly. You can’t set up something via the Zappi?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

I think I can, but the Zappi app doesn't work for me, so I need to troubleshoot that first.
---
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Fixed the Zappi/MyEnergi app. Turns out I needed to update the firmware on the hub and the charger. After doing that I now get options to view data, manage charging etc. But unfortunately I can't set a charging schedule, only when it boosts, which is pointless as it always charges at the fastest speed.
---
mik

Post by mik »

You can set it to Eco+ mode, set it to use only 1% of available power, and then set the time it boosts to max?

I haven’t used this functionality but I think it is there?
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

True, that would work. Not overly bothered though as we generally only charge it twice a week.
---
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Driving the Zoe earlier I noticed a new icon on the Sat Nav maps. Our house now has a charger icon on it, same goes for a couple doors down (they've got an i3). I don't ever remember sharing that or being asked if that was allowed.

As I can see other properties, that data is publicly available, so what's the thinking? If you're desperate for a charge you cruise up to someone's house and ask if you can plug in for a couple of hours?

On the positive side, our local Tesco are having chargers fitted, sadly only 7kW though.
---
Barry

Post by Barry »

Zapmap allows you to add your connection ( as a home location ) and I think it is for emergencies - you're basically saying you're willing to let someone grab some juice if they're desperate. Pretty sure it should be voluntary though, having just checked and mine isn't showing up.

As for the 7kw chargers at shops, it seems almost pointless I agree but down the line, grazing at every stop is likely to become a thing I suspect- an hours top up while you've shopped will likely replace the energy used to get you there, for eg?
mik

Post by mik »

Ours isn’t showing either