Why I won’t be buying an EV anytime soon...

integrale_evo

Re: Why I won’t be buying an EV anytime soon...

Post by integrale_evo »

ZedLeg wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:48 pm
If Saint Elon's electric lorries work out it'll probably be a good start.
Depends what bullshit has grabbed his attention in the meantime, the pointless nonsense ‘hyperloop’ Or his plan to have a million people living on mars by 2030 :lol:
Cheers, Harry
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:02 pm From a technical point of view evs would be perfect for towing.

However in the real world it ruins all the hard fought efficiency gains and absolutely destroys the range.

So yeah, unless they start making caravans with built in additional battery packs then a cross country caravan trip will take some planning.

Luckily you’ve got somewhere handy to sit and have a brew / watch tv / have a snooze while you wait for it to charge up again.
Sadly this will have to be away from your car as you need to unhitch to re-charge :lol:

Rich B, a price must be paid for alarming acceleration.

Dave!
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:02 pm So yeah, unless they start making caravans with built in additional battery packs then a cross country caravan trip will take some planning.
I was wondering earlier if there's be an easy-ish way to build in a dynamo/regenerative braking into the caravan/trailer chassis to feed back into the EV.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

V8Granite wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:57 pm As much as I’m not a fan, I’d love to see a 300hp and gazillionty lbs/ft of torque electric car decimate all at the lights towing a caravan 8-)

Dave!
How about a Model X towing an Alfa 4C outdragging an Alfa 4C?

mik

Post by mik »

Nice idea. 8-) Does sound like there is some throttly feathering going on to suit the story though.
Alex88

Post by Alex88 »

Good work, Mik! I'm finding myself more and more fascinated with EV's. Would love one at some point 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

Had a better poke round the car over the weekend. >2.5 tonnes as already noted. Front brakes don’t look that big in pics, but that is a 21” wheel so it visually shrinks the whopping 375mm disc. They aren’t floating, but they are on “stilts”, and shrouded by mahoosive monobloc 6-pot callipers.

The different driving modes make a big difference. “Dynamic”’in her F-Pace was almost indiscernible from normal - In the E-Tron Dynamic feels way stiffer than normal. Which is good.

Without a decent home charger, charging is a royal PITA. As per Harry’s latest vid, the InstaVolt charging network offers 120kW and 150kW charging on major routes. Our nearest InstaVolt
Charger is 50kW and costs are pretty reasonable, but there is another (non InstaVolt) 50kW charger 4 miles away that is completely free. So rather more reasonable. 50kW means you sit for an hour to get about 100miles range - far from awesome - but once we have the home charger sorted Mrs mik will wake to a fully charged car every day. Or an 80% charged car - whatever we select to maintain battery life - but more than enough to complete the daily grind. Longer distances will require some planning, but so long as you know that and are ready to do that planning - I don’t see that as a massive headache.

Virtual mirrors are feckin great on the move (and the perimeter lights up to warn of things in your blind-spot) and a bit of practice has removed some parking concerns - initially it looks like things are close, but they aren’t.

And whilst it remains “not a sports car”, it’s overtaking ability is exceptional - not far off the Evora in its ability to dispatch slow-moving shizzle. Difficult to be unimpressed by that.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Maybe the question is better-asked in this thread.

What's the expected battery life on these things now? We all know battery capacity degrades over time, so at what point in an EV car's life do we expect to have to budget for a replacement set - whether its dealers or private buyers - and what sort of money are you looking at?
Cheers,

Mike.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Ascender wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:27 am Maybe the question is better-asked in this thread.

What's the expected battery life on these things now? We all know battery capacity degrades over time, so at what point in an EV car's life do we expect to have to budget for a replacement set - whether its dealers or private buyers - and what sort of money are you looking at?
From what I’ve read the early Leafs were terrible as they had no battery thermal management.

Most others at worst are at 5% apart from early Tesla’s who only supercharged, I believe Tesla did some over the air fudging to help this but many were affected.

Sensibly run Model S Tesla’s are in the very low 1 digit percentage loss range over hundreds of thousands of miles.

Compared to life expectancy of cars in general I don’t think battery degradation is really much of an issue.

Dave!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

My dad’s Model 3 shows 14 miles less range when charged to 90% and it’s just over a year old.
How about not having a sig at all?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

V8Granite wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:37 am
Ascender wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:27 am Maybe the question is better-asked in this thread.

From what I’ve read the early Leafs were terrible as they had no battery thermal management.

Most others at worst are at 5% apart from early Tesla’s who only supercharged, I believe Tesla did some over the air fudging to help this but many were affected.

Sensibly run Model S Tesla’s are in the very low 1 digit percentage loss range over hundreds of thousands of miles.

Compared to life expectancy of cars in general I don’t think battery degradation is really much of an issue.

Dave!
That's interesting info, thanks for sharing. I'm just going by my experience with technology batteries where you typically hit a point at 3-5 years where you will need to replace them or suffer performance loss.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

I hadn’t appreciated the range of the height adjust.

Unlike the US versions which have the 2nd power point as an option, UK cars come with a socket at both side. Although only the drivers side can take the rapid-charge cable.

And for some reason these rapid chargers have pretty short cables - presumably assuming that your charge point it at the front of the car - you really need to shuffle up close in the e-tron to reach.

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I imagine the short cable has something to do with the shitloads (technical term) of current flowing through it :lol:
Cheers, Harry
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

I’m guessing it’s too recent transmission loss and also good quality cable is pretty expensive.

Dave!
Barry

Post by Barry »

Most models come with a 5m cable, but you can buy 10m cables readily, not cheap mind.

My Ioniq "filler" is in the traditional LHS rear, instinctively ok but a nuisance when the public charger is at the head of the space.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Yeah I think nose-mounted chargers may become the norm? It's convenient for our driveway setup; I'd probably have to buy a small extension cable for a rear charge flap. Wing-mounted would be OK.
mik

Post by mik »

Cable with the car is no issue.
Tethered cable on the 50kW charger nearby is short....
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mr_jon wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:38 pm Yeah I think nose-mounted chargers may become the norm? It's convenient for our driveway setup; I'd probably have to buy a small extension cable for a rear charge flap. Wing-mounted would be OK.
I'd much prefer the charger at the rear. I always reverse into spaces/my driveway (as should all of you ;) )
mik

Post by mik »

It’s what RosPa / AADrivetech teach too Mike. So you are correct.

Although I think you’d get annoyed if I reversed Into your driveway. And i’d have quite a walk home.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Yes I like reversing into rears.
How about not having a sig at all?