What next?

Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: What next?

Post by Gavin »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:35 am
Gavin wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:05 am The Bongo on the other hand, I am ready to get rid of most of the time.
And that's why they're so much cheaper than a VW.

I've been eyeing up Vitos / Vianos recently. Three different wheelbases available and they did them with a 3 litre diesel V6 and RWD, so they're fairly decent to drive apparently, and close to 300bhp with a remap. Viano is the luxury minibus version of the Vito with nice trim and proper sound proofing etc.
yeah, you get a lot for your money, but no clue what /merc reliability is like these days, or rather those days, would not be new to me.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

scotta wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:27 pm on a more serious note im asking myself the same "What next" question. Im spending £400 a month on the 2 series that just sits in the garage. Contemplating selling that and selling the elise to buy a V6 Exige and put the budget in to the deficit for that. At a squeeze we might be able to live with two cars for a bit. Or failing that spend a couple of grand on a good Mk1 Focus. Ive got a bit of a soft spot for the Mk1 Focus. They are just simply good cars.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

17000 miles was enough to take out that rear quarter though!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The 90 year old who bought a poverty spec 1.6 focus in oap blue probably scraped it against the garage door frame
Cheers, Harry
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:30 pm The 90 year old who bought a poverty spec 1.6 focus in oap blue probably scraped it against the garage door frame
maybe the other side too - can't quite make it out on the photo!
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Blimey, it did 35 miles last year and 200 the year before, so the "service 50 miles ago" was over a year ago and the "cambelt replaced 300 miles ago" was over two years ago! 😂
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

That is the worst car you could buy. The second you start putting decent miles on it, things will go wrong. Give me a 90,000 miler anyday!
Cheers.

Gwaredd
GG.

Post by GG. »

I'm always slightly amazed by how few humdrum cars like that survive the scrapper after 15+ years.

I had a facelift first generation 2.0l 3dr focus when I was in my early 20s. I was procrastinating looking to see how much one would be to buy on autotrader (and have just checked again now) and there are precisely zero! There is one pre-facelift 3dr and a few ST170s but not a single example like the one I had.

Funny given they must have sold thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of that model/spec. Maybe ebay is more the market for cheap sheds like that.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

We’ve had the 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 in the family and I’ve driven a 2.0.

I have no idea why people think the 1.6 is the pick of the bunch, it’s just a slower 1.8 and the 2.0 sounds a bit flat.

Get a 1.8 Zetec spec if it’s a Focus you want. All the others are just a little disappointing engine wise but feel pretty much the same in every other way.

Dave!
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

GG. wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:27 pm I'm always slightly amazed by how few humdrum cars like that survive the scrapper after 15+ years.

I had a facelift first generation 2.0l 3dr focus when I was in my early 20s. I was procrastinating looking to see how much one would be to buy on autotrader (and have just checked again now) and there are precisely zero! There is one pre-facelift 3dr and a few ST170s but not a single example like the one I had.

Funny given they must have sold thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of that model/spec. Maybe ebay is more the market for cheap sheds like that.
Facebook marketplace is the place to go shed shopping these days.
An absolute unit
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Its true about the miles altho my 13 year old motorbike has only done 5500 and starts every year, goes and hasnt killed me yet. I do wonder tho.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

GG. wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:27 pm I'm always slightly amazed by how few humdrum cars like that survive the scrapper after 15+ years.

A lot of the 2.0 Focus Mk1 has rattling heads 10 years ago, not surprised that many are left.
scotta

Post by scotta »

They were bad for tin rot in a few places. Mechanicals were pretty robust though - no major tales of woe with them
Beany

Post by Beany »

scotta wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:24 pm

They were bad for tin rot in a few places. Mechanicals were pretty robust though - no major tales of woe with them
Same as any Ford of that generation. Not as bad as 80s fords or Fiats, but compared to other contemporary marques they rusted badly.