What next?

Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

What next?

Post by Rich B »

I'm half way into my Golf lease and whilst it is clearly a very good car - fun to throw around, economical, practical, etc it definitely isn't the direction I want to go when it goes back.

I'm currently at that "what shall I get next" phase with all sorts of strange ideas. Top of the list are:

- manual M2
- something like an Elise and a crappy old Hilux/Fourtrak for biking duties
- Nissan S15 with silly bolt on arches etc
- Ford Ranger with silly bolt on arches etc and an MX5

????

What weird and wonderful automotive thoughts are tempting you guys at the moment?
scotta

Re: What next?

Post by scotta »

Elise and an M240i I find that to be a great combination alongside a diesel F31 touring...
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:14 pm - something like an Elise and a crappy old Hilux/Fourtrak for biking duties
That if you can.
scotta

Post by scotta »

on a more serious note im asking myself the same "What next" question. Im spending £400 a month on the 2 series that just sits in the garage. Contemplating selling that and selling the elise to buy a V6 Exige and put the budget in to the deficit for that. At a squeeze we might be able to live with two cars for a bit. Or failing that spend a couple of grand on a good Mk1 Focus. Ive got a bit of a soft spot for the Mk1 Focus. They are just simply good cars.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:23 pm
Rich B wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:14 pm - something like an Elise and a crappy old Hilux/Fourtrak for biking duties
That if you can.
strangely, the crappy hilux/fourtrak part of that combo interests me most! Sadly, crappy Hiluxs (late 80s/early 90s ones) are big money these days.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

scotta wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:27 pm spend a couple of grand on a good Mk1 Focus. Ive got a bit of a soft spot for the Mk1 Focus. They are just simply good cars.
Is that because of what Chris Harris said ??! ;)
Real-life Females
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I'm enjoying whafting in the Jag. Depending on how things work out over the next couple of years, there'll be something small and light to go with it.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Where’s the engine swap choice? :lol:

I’d try and find something with a peach of an engine, not long for this world now.
How about not having a sig at all?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Are we doing another "recommend your own car" thread ? :D

Touareg & BMW rally car

7-Series & 911

Although I keep looking at ads for Ford Excursions, e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274540527013
mik

Post by mik »

What’s your driving “picture” now? I am guessing less time alone in the car without wife and / or sprog?

Why don’t you want another Golf? Too fast? Too slow? Not tactile enough? Too Golfy?

Also - PM me your sort code and account number.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

mik wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:48 pm What’s your driving “picture” now? I am guessing less time alone in the car without wife and / or sprog?
This.

Are you working from home more / driving fewer miles now?

I have a shortlist of what I want next but I’m a long way from achieving it. :|
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:48 pm What’s your driving “picture” now? I am guessing less time alone in the car without wife and / or sprog?

Why don’t you want another Golf? Too fast? Too slow? Not tactile enough? Too Golfy?

Also - PM me your sort code and account number.
we have the F31 for family duties, that isn't going anywhere. I'm not necessarily after suggestions as I'm a year away from changing - more that everyone else has daft car ideas all the time too and what they are!

The Golf is good at everything, except it's FWD and sounds lame. But I knew that when I got it, and it's done/doing its job admirably and I do enjoy it. Just not as much as I would a RWD car!
scotta

Post by scotta »

Nathan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:34 pm
scotta wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:27 pm spend a couple of grand on a good Mk1 Focus. Ive got a bit of a soft spot for the Mk1 Focus. They are just simply good cars.
Is that because of what Chris Harris said ??! ;)
Funny that - I watched that video and said to myself exactly that be fore he did.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:42 pm
Although I keep looking at ads for Ford Excursions, e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274540527013
Why?

Aside from the V10 novelty, they're pretty crap.
I remember taking one as p/x against an Escalade when I ran Cadillac & Corvette London and Reading in 2007 and not being able to find any redeeming feature on it.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jimexpl wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:18 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:42 pm
Why?

I remember taking one as p/x against an Escalade when I ran Cadillac & Corvette London and Reading in 2007 and not being able to find any redeeming feature on it.
According to Hoovie you need the 7.3L Powerstroke diesel.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

M2 is the only current / recent bmw I have any interest in, not sure I could buy one while the Giulia qattroformaggio exists.
Cheers, Harry
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

While I liked leasing new cars, the 'What's next?' question does come up quickly when you have a defined period with the car. I may not have kept any car (other than my second MX5) more than 2 years but I changed because I wanted to, at the time of my choosing. Of course, we all like finding cars so it's not necessarily a bad thing...

The Hilux/Fourtrak idea sounds good but the reality is you'll either pay a fortune, end up with a shitter or compromise and regret it. Why not go for option 4 and put some silly bolt-on arches on the MX5 too?

ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Rich B wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:30 pm
mik wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:23 pm
That if you can.
strangely, the crappy hilux/fourtrak part of that combo interests me most! Sadly, crappy Hiluxs (late 80s/early 90s ones) are big money these days.
Aye, Hiluxs always hold their money and you’ll be lucky to find a Fourtrack that’s not full of holes.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

If you want a relatively modern pick up you want an Isuzu apparently but I’ve been in 2 and they’re pretty shit. Might be worth getting just getting a big estate or 4x4 to ferry your bikes in. Insurance prices can be pretty silly on commercial vehicles too.
How about not having a sig at all?
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Jimexpl wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:18 pm Why?

Not even a novelty, I've already got a V10 sat outside !

It's huge and OTT and a bit different to the other obvious choices when you need space & towing ability.