New car

DaveE

New car

Post by DaveE »

No fannying about posting teasers...

It's a white M140i Shadow Line, one owner, 2019 car, with a couple of basic options (widescreen nav, heated seats, Harmon Kardon audio).

I'm the world's greatest deliberator when it comes to buying cars - I've been looking to change for literally years now.

I kept coming back to a shortlist of a Golf R, a Golf GTi, and the M140i.

The Golfs feel far more modern than the BMW (in terms of ICE etc), but there was just something massively appealing about a big, straight six vs a small 4 cylinder engine.

Even just pottering about (on test drives) the BM felt special (to me). It has character.

I'm already looking for a free day to take it to Birds for their B1 package (new springs, dampers, and a Quaife LSD).

New car should be with me next Saturday morning - very happy to have finally made the decision/purchase.
nuttinnew

Re: New car

Post by nuttinnew »

DaveE wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:24 pm No fannying about ...

I'm already looking for a free day to take it to Birds for their B1 package (new springs, dampers, and a Quaife LSD).

New car should be with me next Saturday morning - very happy to have finally made the decision/purchase.
8-)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Good choice - no brainer choice if you're buying. Approved.
mik

Post by mik »

I also endorse this purchase. 8-)
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

That’s excellent! 8-)
Left over crest; tightens.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Noice 8-)

Pics?
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Bloke over the road from me has one of these, nice sounding car 8-)
scotta

Post by scotta »

Approval Granted.

ZF-8 or punchin the face from @tim Spanish Waiter?
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

8-)

Anyone tried both manual and auto? Is manual a waste of time in these cars?
scotta

Post by scotta »

speedingfine wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:48 pm Bloke over the road from me has one of these, nice sounding car 8-)
;)

scotta

Post by scotta »

Coaster1 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:49 pm 8-)

Anyone tried both manual and auto? Is manual a waste of time in these cars?
Depends what your intended use is I suppose. The ZF-8 is perfect for a daily and is almost as quick as a DCT box when you want fun.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

Lovely cars, I'll have another one when they've dropped a bit in price, wouldn't consider a manual though.
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

@scotta

Ha ha just watched your Elise track day video that you linked by mistake. Entertaining video and great driving. Subscribed!

Must admit watching yours (and went out with Duncs in September) really makes me want one (fund permitting etc).
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Zonda_ wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:03 pm Lovely cars, I'll have another one when they've dropped a bit in price, wouldn't consider a manual though.
Really appealing car! Yes I think auto for me too.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

A definite no-brainer choice - when even the next Merc C63 AMG will have a 4-cylinder engine, it could be the last opportunity to buy a 6-cyl in a car this size.

Auto or manual though? Can’t believe you’d omit this important info. Which matters very deeply to something like two people on this forum 😂
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:43 pm A definite no-brainer choice - when even the next Merc C63 AMG will have a 4-cylinder engine, it could be the last opportunity to buy a 6-cyl in a car this size.

Auto or manual though? Can’t believe you’d omit this important info. Which matters very deeply to something like two people on this forum 😂
This "last of its kind" was a part of my thinking...

I went for the auto. I did consider the manual - kind of following that "last of its kind" logic a step further. But I'm not a God-like driver, it's not a "bolt-action" shift or a special manual, and, well, the auto just suits our use (and it's a cracking ''box" too).

A colleague has a very modified M140i and he's had his ZF remapped and it's even sharper and quicker to respond, so there's always that option too.

This is the actual car btw:

I really like the simplicity of the interior, and greatly prefer some buttons and a jog wheel to the more prevalent touch interfaces of some current cars...
scotta

Post by scotta »

Jobbo wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:43 pm A definite no-brainer choice - when even the next Merc C63 AMG will have a 4-cylinder engine, it could be the last opportunity to buy a 6-cyl in a car this size.

Exactly why I went for the 240 Jobbo.
scotta

Post by scotta »

DaveE wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:54 pm

This "last of its kind" was a part of my thinking...

I went for the auto. I did consider the manual - kind of following that "last of its kind" logic a step further. But I'm not a God-like driver, it's not a "bolt-action" shift or a special manual, and, well, the auto just suits our use (and it's a cracking ''box" too).

A colleague has a very modified M140i and he's had his ZF remapped and it's even sharper and quicker to respond, so there's always that option too.

This is the actual car btw:

I really like the simplicity of the interior, and greatly prefer some buttons and a jog wheel to the more prevalent touch interfaces of some current cars...
Car looks great Dave. Does the one series get the LED headlights? They are superb on mine.

My must haves on the spec when I was shopping were. LCI spec, ZF-8, Heated Seats, Harman Kardon. Mines also came with the rear privacy and reverse camera. I wanted the bigger nav but mines didn’t have it - wasn’t a deal breaker but the car play would have been nice. That can be retrofitted if yours doesn’t have it due to having the Big Nav.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Coaster1 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:03 pm @scotta

Ha ha just watched your Elise track day video that you linked by mistake. Entertaining video and great driving. Subscribed!

Must admit watching yours (and went out with Duncs in September) really makes me want one (fund permitting etc).
:D

She goes well round knockhill. That was the first time I’d had my son out on track. Was properly pushing with a bit of show boating at the hairpin added :lol:
DaveE

Post by DaveE »

Hard to tell from photos, but it looks pretty much new.

Although there may be a mark on the nearside rear seat- hard to tell from the pics.

I think they do all come with LEDs - as you say, they're excellent - although I'm nervous now as I didn't check! :)

I've been reading about some MMI boxes that you can wire in that not only give you Apple Car Play (my wife has iPhones) but also Android Auto (which I use/prefer).

That could be an interesting upgrade too.

It's a money-pit and I've not even got it yet! :)

Oh and the reversing camera would have been nice, but not essential (seems quite a rare option too?)