Low Mileage Tyrants

SSO

Low Mileage Tyrants

Post by SSO »

Just posted a new karenable blog on the Low Mileage Tyrants - The Supercars that rarely get driven

https://karenable.com/the-low-mileage-tyrants/

Comments?

Thoughts?
V8Granite

Re: Low Mileage Tyrants

Post by V8Granite »

I would say the low mileage tyrants are mainly those who are dodgy sellers clocking their cars. To me that makes them worth far less than higher mileage examples as mileage related servicing would never be covered.

I would actively steer clear of any low mileage car because standing around does them no good at all.

There are a few art cars that I’d love to have on the wall of my millionaires mansion but they wouldn’t be running and driving examples.

Dave!
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

It'd be interesting to talk to the owners of these low mileage cars. Some I guess are purely in it for the investment. But maybe there's a set that consider these cars "too special" to be doing a mega mile road trip?

I mean if you have a Pagani, why not truck it to the Klausen pass, get yourself chauferred there and enjoy it to its fullest?

Harry M's Testarossa to the Sahara was incredible, but how many other owners have that kind of time and/or inclination.

Harry and SSO "Get" the Evoness of the epic trip in the company of a piece of automotive art along with their compromises.

Are there actually too many supercars out their for the well heeled to actually put miles onto?
mik

Post by mik »

Super/Hyper cars must also suffer from “got too much monies” (And potentially “got too much monies and not enough time”) syndrome.

Got wealthies?

> want hypercar?
- not really into them but yeah
> if you get one will you notice wealth reduction?
- no/a bit/ not enough to be a problem
> get hypercar anyway then?
- yarp

Replace hypercar with any luxury item. 3rd property that you would die for but they spend only 1 week a year in. Posh watch that watch guys would love that sits in a box 354 days a year. Boats, clothes, Diamond-studded-jockstraps etc etc
SSO

Post by SSO »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:33 am I would say the low mileage tyrants are mainly those who are dodgy sellers clocking their cars. To me that makes them worth far less than higher mileage examples as mileage related servicing would never be covered.

I would actively steer clear of any low mileage car because standing around does them no good at all.

There are a few art cars that I’d love to have on the wall of my millionaires mansion but they wouldn’t be running and driving examples.

Dave!
Clocked cars are much less of an issue at the very high end of the market. For it to be accepted as low mileage it needs to have both a comprehensive paper trail and pass a detailed inspection/history check. Where I have seen plenty of clocked cars is in your 80s-90s Ferraris (328, TR, 348, F355) as its easy to do and most don't have complete history files.
scotta

Post by scotta »

There's also a similar train of thought to track use.

Some people would 100% not buy a car that has seen track use. Which i suppose is all to do with the owners approach to maintenance.

As you might have noticed my Elise is no stranger to the race track - However It gets an oil change every 2-3 trackdays and a brake fluid change around the same frequency. I've also added cooling enhancements to help with higher track temps - Pro Alloy rad and increased ducting in the engine bay.

Some "Wouldn't touch that with a bargepole mate" Where as it wouldn't put me off in the slightest as long as the maintenance backed up the usage.
SSO

Post by SSO »

scotta wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:21 pm There's also a similar train of thought to track use.

Some people would 100% not buy a car that has seen track use. Which i suppose is all to do with the owners approach to maintenance.

As you might have noticed my Elise is no stranger to the race track - However It gets an oil change every 2-3 trackdays and a brake fluid change around the same frequency. I've also added cooling enhancements to help with higher track temps - Pro Alloy rad and increased ducting in the engine bay.

Some "Wouldn't touch that with a bargepole mate" Where as it wouldn't put me off in the slightest as long as the maintenance backed up the usage.
Track use is a bit of a tricky one. Personally think some use is fine as long as proper maintenance has followed. However if that's all the car has been used for and its been flogged to death, I wouldn't touch it. I looked at a Ferrari 430 Scuderia many years ago that had 6000 km on it. Car looked great but when I was going through the history file, I noticed it was on its 3rd set of ceramic brakes. Turns out all the previous owner had used it for was track days and beaten it to death. It was doing to need engine and gearbox work very shortly. Why he didn't just get a 430 Challenge is beyond me as it would have been better on track and cheaper to run.
scotta

Post by scotta »

SSO wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:06 pm
scotta wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:21 pm There's also a similar train of thought to track use.

Track use is a bit of a tricky one. Personally think some use is fine as long as proper maintenance has followed. However if that's all the car has been used for and its been flogged to death, I wouldn't touch it. I looked at a Ferrari 430 Scuderia many years ago that had 6000 km on it. Car looked great but when I was going through the history file, I noticed it was on its 3rd set of ceramic brakes. Turns out all the previous owner had used it for was track days and beaten it to death. It was doing to need engine and gearbox work very shortly. Why he didn't just get a 430 Challenge is beyond me as it would have been better on track and cheaper to run.
Agreed - the key is the maintenance but 6000k of track use is quite a lot!
SSO

Post by SSO »

scotta wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:20 pm
SSO wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:06 pm

Agreed - the key is the maintenance but 6000k of track use is quite a lot!
For a road car, its both impressive and excessive. If you are going to track that frequently, buy a race car.