New car thread

Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

New car thread

Post by Jobbo »

I think this is our fourth purchase since March, so quite a bumper lockdown for the Jobbo family. It's for my wife, mainly because she's now got tired of the Tacumas after having six of them (!) - it'll be odd having to sell one rather than scrapping it :lol:

As seems to be quite traditional on here, my wife is getting a Skoda Yeti. It's black, petrol, DSG and it's a low mileage, one owner car. My preferred Tourareg or Grand Cherokee options were ignored for some reason, but I have no issues with the Yeti; always loved them, so I'm glad she likes it.

She has spotted that it doesn't have a CD player; it does have Smartlink (Carplay/Android Auto) enabled though so she can use that. I'll stick a load of music on an SD card just in case though.

Planning to pick it up on our way back from holiday, a week on Friday.
Marv

Re: New car thread

Post by Marv »

Nice, I still like the Yeti. Somehow I have less enthuisasm for the Karoq.

In profile, there is something of a large Fiat Panda to the design (to my eyes, at least)

Oui, je suis un motard.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That looks nice. What made her break with tradition?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

DeskJockey wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:17 am That looks nice. What made her break with tradition?
The fact that even the newest Tacuma is 10 means that it feels a bit old (they're based on 80s/90s Vauxhall bits) and she wanted something newer.

I have always thought the Yeti was by far the best car modern Skoda have produced; it's not just a slightly restyled VW but something with its own character.
GG.

Post by GG. »

BIL has one and agree - they're fun cars that feel different to a Golf even if I guess that's what they're based on if you go back far enough. The ride height / large tyres gives them a rugged feel.
Last edited by GG. on Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:19 am
DeskJockey wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:17 am That looks nice. What made her break with tradition?
The fact that even the newest Tacuma is 10 means that it feels a bit old (they're based on 80s/90s Vauxhall bits) and she wanted something newer.

I have always thought the Yeti was by far the best car modern Skoda have produced; it's not just a slightly restyled VW but something with its own character.
:D
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

Nice purchase. I've always liked the Yeti.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Who else has one in the family? I know Jon's wife has one, and I'm sure there's someone else on here whose wife has one.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Oh, I've just realised the Fake Taxi stickers Jimmy got me will go perfectly in this :lol:
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Good choice Jobbo...

My other half had one for a year and it was great all rounder. Her's was the diesel so I can only assume the Petrol will be that bit better
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

dinny_g wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:32 am Good choice Jobbo...

My other half had one for a year and it was great all rounder. Her's was the diesel so I can only assume the Petrol will be that bit better
I'm not too sure the diesel isn't the better choice, to be honest - but since my wife tends to do more stop start journeys, I didn't think the diesel was the one to go for. She's also never had a diesel and doesn't like them; without realising that my Audi, which she really liked driving, was a diesel :lol:

This thread could be entitled 'new car for someone who isn't particularly interested in cars' so I view the choice as a bit of a win.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Not sure how old it would have been but if the diesel option was older than 2015 / Euro 5 I think it would be advisable staying away from it. From next year there will be several million additional Londoners that can't drive one under the ULEZ so I imagine that must have an impact on overall residuals.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Typical London-centric viewpoint :lol:

Having said that, Birmingham is going to have a diesel tax for going into the centre and Bristol was going to ban all diesel cars, no matter what emission standards they meet, though that's on hold.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:49 am Typical London-centric viewpoint :lol:

Having said that, Birmingham is going to have a diesel tax for going into the centre and Bristol was going to ban all diesel cars, no matter what emission standards they meet, though that's on hold.
Isambard will be turning in his grave!!

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Bam ba lam.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:11 amBam ba lam.
8-)

And :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I always sing it when ever I see one! Cool (in a weird way) cars though!
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:29 am Who else has one in the family? I know Jon's wife has one, and I'm sure there's someone else on here whose wife has one.
My wife - bought ours in January. Also a DSG petrol.

How old is yours Simon?
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Simon

Post by Simon »

Simon wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:00 am
Jobbo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:29 am Who else has one in the family? I know Jon's wife has one, and I'm sure there's someone else on here whose wife has one.
My wife - bought ours in January. Also a DSG petrol.

How old is yours Simon?
The Yeti, not the wife.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

She's a late 2016, 66 plate. The car, not the wife.