The Alfasud thread

integrale_evo

Re: The Alfasud thread

Post by integrale_evo »

I took one out this morning and they’re already supposedly updated halogen ones, the spares that came with it are the big bulbous ones.

They’re marked h4 on the front, but the base is different to a normal h4. I think it’s r2h or something?

Anyway, I’ve ordered some adapters from classiccarleds which let you fit a standard 3 prong H4 in, although I think if given a decent supply the current ones will probably be fine.

Sill going to fit warm white leds to the back to take some load out of the system, don’t really want modern looking headlights, but would like to be able to see where I’m going 😂
Cheers, Harry
Wilspeed

Post by Wilspeed »

Excellent purchase Good Sir! #sudlife
Cunt.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

The flat 4 is a long way forward, but it’s also very small, and very low :lol:

Everything is stupidly easy to get at, changed the plugs and poked around the carb, found a ‘thing’ screwed to the underside which was a bit loose, so tightened it up. With the car running I unscrewed it’s how it was before and it made the idle worse, so tightened it back up and adjusted it’s bracket so it couldn’t move.

Be nice if it’s improved the general running at part throttle. Will take it for a run on Friday as I’m not keen on another night time run until the electrics are checked over.
Cheers, Harry
GG.

Post by GG. »

integrale_evo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:41 pm The flat 4 is a long way forward, but it’s also very small, and very low :lol:

Everything is stupidly easy to get at, changed the plugs and poked around the carb, found a ‘thing’ screwed to the underside which was a bit loose, so tightened it up. With the car running I unscrewed it’s how it was before and it made the idle worse, so tightened it back up and adjusted it’s bracket so it couldn’t move.

Be nice if it’s improved the general running at part throttle. Will take it for a run on Friday as I’m not keen on another night time run until the electrics are checked over.
Reverse 911 layout!
drcarlos

Post by drcarlos »

Just rewatched the wd sud ti episode. I now know 2 people that own suds as I recognised the guy that bought the wd car (that's 2 I know now as another guy I know bought the BMW z1). I saw him only a couple of weeks ago when we were out walking the dog and recognised him then as a guy I used to go to scouts with.
Will be asking about the sud ti when I see him next.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Add me to the list of people who didn’t realise it was a flat 4 :oops:
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

It’s quite a clever layout really, the boxer design means it’s pretty short, the overhang isn’t any bigger than most transverse engine fwd cars which still have the crank hanging in front of the axle.

It’s basically suspended from the front bulkhead with the idea that in a crash the engine slides under the passenger compartment, like the first merc a-class ( not that you’d want to crash one ) and that bulkhead spans between the strut towers - no need for a strut brace, and separates the battery, brake and clutch master cylinders from the engines heat. The heater box is sat on top of the gearbox so the dash is really thin meaning more interior space.

Unfortunately that means your legs sit a long way forward so the pedals are heavily offset to the left because the front arch tub is in the way.

Maybe I have an ape like physique, but I don’t have an issue with the driving position, although it definitely needs the dished standard wheel. I’m 6ft tall but in my normal driving position there’s loads of room for me to sit behind myself.

When my dad upgraded from a mini to one back in 1980 it must have felt like a limo, so much more space, even a decent size boot, but only a couple of hundred kg heavier.
Cheers, Harry
Marv

Post by Marv »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:36 am It’s quite a clever layout really, the boxer design means it’s pretty short, the overhang isn’t any bigger than most transverse engine fwd cars which still have the crank hanging in front of the axle.

It’s basically suspended from the front bulkhead with the idea that in a crash the engine slides under the passenger compartment, like the first merc a-class ( not that you’d want to crash one ) and that bulkhead spans between the strut towers - no need for a strut brace, and separates the battery, brake and clutch master cylinders from the engines heat. The heater box is sat on top of the gearbox so the dash is really thin meaning more interior space.
I quite like the secondary bulkhead/strutbrace.

Quite an innovative little car and well regarded at the time, until the rust woes kicked in.
Oui, je suis un motard.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Found an air leak on the carb, fixing that instantly cured the hesitation / stuttering / bogging. I’m assuming the idle had been adjusted to compensate because it idled fine, it was just a bit of a pain when you wanted to start driving, I was thrashing it when pulling away to make sure it wouldn’t bog down.

Still a bit of twiddling to do, but it’s so much more pleasant to drive, far more tractable.

As well as that I’ve fitted some new plugs, a new ignition coil, fitted electronic ignition to the distributor to get rid of the condenser / points setup, put a new alternator belt on. All as preventative maintenance, all pretty cheap and all quick and easy to do.

The only fix so far was to fashion up a new engine stabiliser bush out of some spare polyurethane as the rubber one in there was weak and kept popping out.

I’ve fitted warm white led front sidelights, rear indicators and tail lights. Rewired the offside reversing light to become the fog light and fitted a red led bulb.

On the outside I’ve fitted a new pair of wing mirrors as one had a drooping issue, Painted the tailpipe, heatgunned the bumper plastics and had a little play with a polisher on a few panels. It won’t ever be perfect but pretty sure I can make a decent improvement without having to spend too much time on it.

Managed about 250 miles over the past week and really enjoying it.

Small supermini shopping car on 17s, 4 door family saloon rolling in 13s

Bushy

Looks good on camera / from a distance

Mirrors

Looks much better without the horrible fog light
Cheers, Harry
Marv

Post by Marv »

Great work there Harry, always nice making them little changes which make big difference!
Oui, je suis un motard.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I can’t ever imagine buying a car and leaving it exactly as it was. A car isn’t really yours until you’ve given it the first wash and made the odd tweak :lol:
Cheers, Harry
mik

Post by mik »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:55 pm I can’t ever imagine buying a car and leaving it exactly as it was. A car isn’t really yours until you’ve given it the first wash and made the odd tweak :lol:
You always find design elements your eyes hadn’t picked up on when you hand-wash a car for the first time. I do enjoy that.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Found out why the lights are crap and everything else struggles when they’re on, the main power feed for the entire car is a single thin red wire coming off the back of the alternator. Similar gauge to I’d use to wire in a pair of spotlights :lol:

Started wiring in a relayed supply for the lights with their own direct feed, which is a good idea on anything old, but rain has stopped play.
Cheers, Harry
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Is that an original wire or somebody's bodge?
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

DeskJockey wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:04 pm Is that an original wire or somebody's bodge?
It's an Alfa, so probably both.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Beany wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:09 pm
DeskJockey wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:04 pm Is that an original wire or somebody's bodge?
It's an Alfa, so probably both.
I did think that.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

It’s just how they are, and probably not unusual for a car of that age.

The main power cable from the battery goes to the starter solenoid, a wire from the back of the alternator goes to the same post on the solenoid and another wire Ts into the back of the alternator and goes off to the fuse box to run the rest of the car. It’s a nice simple layout but was probably not far off it’s limit when the car was built never mind 40 years on with modern 55w headlight bulbs.

Modern cars will usually have a fat wire to the starter and another chunky one.

Despite all that, all the lights actually worked correctly which is more than can be said for most 5 year old Renault meganes on the road.
Cheers, Harry
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Dug out my multimeter. 13.5v at the battery terminals at idle, 10.2v at the headlight socket, no wonder they’re a bit dim :lol:

Also bought a timing strobe gun, always wanted one but never had the need until now. Turns out it was miles out, they must have set it up on the tdc mark not the static advance mark.

It’s starting to feel as peppy as I always thought it should be.

Had a look at the dimensions, it’s basically the same length, but 100mm lower and 70mm narrower than my step daughter’s 2008 1.4 16v Polo. It should also have 5bhp more and be over 100kg lighter.
Cheers, Harry
John

Post by John »

I was looking through a newspaper today from 1981 that I found in some old boxes and spotted this

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Superb indeed.

All the reviews at the time seemed to rave about how wonderful they were to drive, encouraging other manufacturers to take them out and see how fwd could be done.

Shame the only thing they’re remembered for now is rampant rust issues.

I’m still having fun with it, twiddling and fiddling here and there, shame it’s been chucking it down for the majority of the last two weeks I’ve had off so barely driven it.

I was planning on a hidden stereo, but couldn’t work out a way to do it neatly while still being useable. I took the centre console out and it doesn’t reveal a din slot, but the two circles and a small rectangle slot for a through mount stereo which you mount from behind then screw the faceplate on from the front.

1980 was the crossover year, later that year they went to the plastic bumper cars with revised dash and proper stereo location, so I had to try and find the most modern looking old style mount stereo I could.

I ended up with this
A Harry moss / audioline jobbie. It doesn’t exactly blend in, but then the rest of the dash is a mishmash of colours, shapes and textures anyway. Turns out it’s from ‘83 which is near enough for me, plus it can be completely
Removed without leaving a trace.

Haven’t actually decided what to do for speakers yet. Will fit a hidden ezidab for usb / aux in duties through the fm input.

1983 Argos catalogue, £73!
Cheers, Harry