M3 Touring

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: M3 Touring

Post by Ascender »

I really like those home-build E46 Tourings, but I have to say I’m a bit meh about recent M offerings.
Cheers,

Mike.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I'd still like an M2 comp as that fits my criteria well (I think, though I've not actually tried one). I don't really want a big car, but it must be fast and have room for a child seat, a large mountain bike and some golf clubs (ideally all at once).

BUT, if I could have it all in a reasonable sized package like a 3 series estate - it really would be bang on.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Rich B wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:08 am I'd still like an M2 comp as that fits my criteria well (I think, though I've not actually tried one). I don't really want a big car, but it must be fast and have room for a child seat, a large mountain bike and some golf clubs (ideally all at once).

BUT, if I could have it all in a reasonable sized package like a 3 series estate - it really would be bang on.
4 of us fit in the 2 series no problem and the boot would take a decent sized buggy and luggage. Bike would be a stretch but with the rear seats down could be doable. Unsure if you get a roof rack for a 2 series.

That said my mate manages....

Rich B

Post by Rich B »

I'm not talking about a dainty road bike - I'm talking 170mm travel free ride bike with 800mm handlebars - I like to be able to leave it in the car when I do evening rides after work. (I could fit two plus riders in my e92/e46 because they were long enough with fold down seats.)

Tbh, I'm not really looking for suggestions, I've got Another 18 months with the Golf first!
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

scotta wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:16 am
Rich B wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:08 am I'd still like an M2 comp as that fits my criteria well (I think, though I've not actually tried one). I don't really want a big car, but it must be fast and have room for a child seat, a large mountain bike and some golf clubs (ideally all at once).

4 of us fit in the 2 series no problem and the boot would take a decent sized buggy and luggage. Bike would be a stretch but with the rear seats down could be doable. Unsure if you get a roof rack for a 2 series.

That said my mate manages....

Something really cool about supercars with bikes on the roof, loved this one of Harris’s

Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Cool or too try hard look at me?

Latter for me.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Same. Nothing cool about sticking a bike on the roof of a sports/super car.
M235i
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

I do remember thinking skis on the back of Bond's Lotus in "for your eyes Only" was about the coolest thing I had ever seen, although I think compared to our Maestro with roofrack and bungee cords.... :o

Does the back of that M3 estate not look just a bit like the Volvo V60/V90? And the front, going by recent BMW offering will be significantly worse.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Bikes on supercars and Christmas trees in convertibles correspond to a very small....
How about not having a sig at all?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Alex_ wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:15 am Same. Nothing cool about sticking a bike on the roof of a sports/super car.
I don’t know, if I could use a 512M to drive to the Alps for some mountain biking I absolutely would.
An absolute unit
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

ZedLeg wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:19 am
Alex_ wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:15 am Same. Nothing cool about sticking a bike on the roof of a sports/super car.
I don’t know, if I could use a 512M to drive to the Alps for some mountain biking I absolutely would.
yeah, if there's a genuine story like that to it then great. It's the weirdos putting roof boxes onto lambos that I don't get.
mik

Post by mik »

Demonstration of practicalsportscars is almost always good for me. Obviously you can’t pull 0.9G laterally with a bike on the roof, but it’s good to know you don’t need to hire a van to do any practical shizzle if you own something a bit more interesting.

944 was the best for this. Carried 18 boxes of laminate flooring home from B&Q. And on another occasion had a 13ft diameter trampoline in the boot. OK it was still in the box, but hey.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:11 am
yeah, if there's a genuine story like that to it then great. It's the weirdos putting roof boxes onto lambos that I don't get.
I don’t get roof boxes on anything. They’re usually on a massive SUV which isn’t fully loaded, so they’re an insecure and inconvenient way of failing to pack your car properly 😄
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:48 am
Rich B wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:11 am

I don’t get roof boxes on anything. They’re usually on a massive SUV which isn’t fully loaded, so they’re an insecure and inconvenient way of failing to pack your car properly 😄
we use one on the 3 series for going away, as it means we don't have to have a massive SUV for the rest of the year. The amount of bulky shit you need when you go away with a baby/toddler is staggering.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

It's a "thing" by the looks of it????
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Rich B wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:52 amwe use one on the 3 series for going away, as it means we don't have to have a massive SUV for the rest of the year. The amount of bulky shit you need when you go away with a baby/toddler is staggering.
My parents took my sister and me on holiday in the UK in a mk1 Scirocco when we were that age. If you have the space, you just fill it with stuff.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:59 am
Rich B wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:52 amwe use one on the 3 series for going away, as it means we don't have to have a massive SUV for the rest of the year. The amount of bulky shit you need when you go away with a baby/toddler is staggering.
My parents took my sister and me on holiday in the UK in a mk1 Scirocco when we were that age. If you have the space, you just fill it with stuff.
yep, the 5 of us went to the south of France every year in a cavalier, we'd happily have 6+ kids in the back of a car to go to a birthday party, Etc...
mik

Post by mik »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:48 am I don’t get roof boxes on anything. They’re usually on a massive SUV which isn’t fully loaded, so they’re an insecure and inconvenient way of failing to pack your car properly 😄
Same box has done us for years - it’s great.

Roofbox means I can fit sprogs in the back seats with room to move about a bit and maintain their own space. Bickering reduced by 87.6%

Roofbox means I can simultaneously also fit 2 reasonably sized dogs in the boot, with space to also move about a bit and avoid overheating.

Roofbox is tranquilityness.
Roofbox is calmy.
mik

Post by mik »

Rich B wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:15 pm
yep, the 5 of us went to the south of France every year in a cavalier, we'd happily have 6+ kids in the back of a car to go to a birthday party, Etc...
I’ve travelled 20miles along a single track country road in the Highlands in an Austin Maxi 1750L. My parents in the front seats. My Aunt & Uncle in the back seats. Me and 3 other kids in the boot - with the hatch open for part of the journey.

This proves it is possible, and therefore the best way to do things. Everyone should do this today.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:31 pm
Rich B wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:15 pm
I’ve travelled 20miles along a single track country road in the Highlands in an Austin Maxi 1750L. My parents in the front seats. My Aunt & Uncle in the back seats. Me and 3 other kids in the boot - with the hatch open for part of the journey.

This proves it is possible, and therefore the best way to do things. Everyone should do this today.
well you didn't die, so it's fine!