Gordon Murray T50 Live Launch

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: Gordon Murray T50 Live Launch

Post by Ascender »

I love it and thought Harry’s video was great. How can you go wrong with the “modern F1” pitch. The looks are very unique in some ways, but also very much of the current time don’t you think?

Must look at Driving Ambition to see if the fans are mentioned in there...
Cheers,

Mike.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:22 am
RobYob wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:42 am
speedingfine wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:53 pm The weight obsession is also a car enthusiast touchstone and I don't understand why more manufacturers aren't chasing it as a holy grail in efficiency, never mind performance.
Because it's cheaper, easier and more marketable for most of them to add power, tyres and electrickery.

Let's face it, probably only Gordon Murray could actually get investment for something that forgoes headline figures for more cerebral fulfilment.
I think if more people drove a light car from time to time it would gain ground. There are so many benefits.

Dave!
In the age of seamlessly power assisted everything I'm not sure they would tbh. Even within driving enthusiast circles "lightweight" is of niche appeal. Last "lightweight" to top ECOTY was the 1200kg Exige S wasn't it?

Which other attribute do you compromise to get lightness?

Safety sells
Comfort sells
Cost is King
Raw performance sells
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

mik wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:39 am
Rich B wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:27 am
RobYob wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:42 am Let's face it, probably only Gordon Murray could actually get investment for something that forgoes headline figures for more cerebral fulfilment.
i’m more sceptical - none of the other projects GMD have been involved in recently have actually come to fruition. T25, T27, OX, TVR...

Building the hype is one thing (that GM is very good at), getting it over the line seems a lot harder.
I think we have a slightly different scenario here though. In addition to normal funding someone would need to generate in order to bring something to market, he has hefty deposits from wealthy clients. According to Autocar

Most have already been snapped up by global car connoisseurs, notably in the US and Japan, each of whom has paid a £600,000 deposit for the privilege. A further £750,000 is due when their car is specified in detail, with the balance settled upon delivery.

As I stated earlier - I expect pitching this very strongly as “An F1 for teh twennies” has been crucial to secure many of these orders.
Yeah, I always got the impression that his other projects were aimed at being picked up by large manufacturers for production whereas this is his thing.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

mik wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:39 am
Rich B wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:27 am
RobYob wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:42 am Let's face it, probably only Gordon Murray could actually get investment for something that forgoes headline figures for more cerebral fulfilment.
i’m more sceptical - none of the other projects GMD have been involved in recently have actually come to fruition. T25, T27, OX, TVR...

Building the hype is one thing (that GM is very good at), getting it over the line seems a lot harder.
I think we have a slightly different scenario here though. In addition to normal funding someone would need to generate in order to bring something to market, he has hefty deposits from wealthy clients. According to Autocar

Most have already been snapped up by global car connoisseurs, notably in the US and Japan, each of whom has paid a £600,000 deposit for the privilege. A further £750,000 is due when their car is specified in detail, with the balance settled upon delivery.

As I stated earlier - I expect pitching this very strongly as “An F1 for teh twennies” has been crucial to secure many of these orders.
So those deposits puts £36m in his account to develop the car (including producing 13 full cars for testing) to a point where those 60 initial buyers believe it’s real enough to proceed. Good luck to them - it does seem like an incredible product, I hope they improve the rear though!
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

nuttinnew wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:45 pm
Mito Man wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:14 pm So you’re a fan of the fan?
It's fantastic.
I'm blown away by it.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
mik

Post by mik »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:11 am
Mito Man wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:14 pm So you’re a fan of the fan?
It's fantastic.
I'm blown away by it.
Whereas others think it sucks.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I’ve finished watching Harry’s video about it and I still think it’s great.

It’s interesting to see how he uses 20 odd years of technological advancement to make something that still fits in with the design philosophy of the F1.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

mik wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:19 am
Jimmy Choo wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:11 am

It's fantastic.
I'm blown away by it.
Whereas others think it sucks.
On reflection, I am not sure he's thought through every scenario.

Imagine you take delivery of your new T50. (Why did you order it with the drivers seat in purple Ostrich skin Jimmy? :? )
You're making progress along a country road, revelling in the available grip, when you come across a section where Farmer Bill has been dragging his manure truck, and the contents have spilled onto the road...... well.... I don’t need to spell out what's going to happen next do I ?.... :o
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

After being sceptical to begin with Harry's vid has completely changed my mind. I still a manual is a daft idea though.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I'm struggling to understand how the fan draws 8.5KW ?
mik

Post by mik »

[mention]Zonda_[/mention] It’s the best bit 8-)
mik

Post by mik »

Nathan wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:31 am I'm struggling to understand how the fan draws 8.5KW ?
40cm fan spinning at 7krpm. 8.5kw probably isn’t the steady-state power requirement at this speed, but the power needed to quickly accelerate it to this speed in order that it can actually respond quickly enough as part of the active aero system?
Last edited by mik on Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Was impressed that he thinks the reduction in drag while the fan is running in streamline mode will give more benefit than the power it would take to run it.

Still think the back looks daft and wonder how long it will be until you see stick on plastic universal fans on eBay :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Beany

Post by Beany »

mik wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:13 am
On reflection, I am not sure he's thought through every scenario.

Imagine you take delivery of your new T50. (Why did you order it with the drivers seat in purple Ostrich skin Jimmy? :? )
You're making progress along a country road, revelling in the available grip, when you come across a section where Farmer Bill has been dragging his manure truck, and the contents have spilled onto the road...... well.... I don’t need to spell out what's going to happen next do I ?.... :o
It's filtered, so not much really.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

mik wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:33 am
Nathan wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:31 am I'm struggling to understand how the fan draws 8.5KW ?
40cm fan spinning at 7krpm. 8.5kw probably isn’t the steady-state power requirement at this speed, but the power needed to quickly accelerate it to this speed in order that it can actually respond quickly enough as part of the active aero system?
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

integrale_evo wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:37 am Was impressed that he thinks the reduction in drag while the fan is running in streamline mode will give more benefit than the power it would take to run it.

Still think the back looks daft and wonder how long it will be until you see stick on plastic universal fans on eBay :lol:
Apparently acts as a ram air intake and increases power by quite a bit and provides thrust too. I’m not sure how it works as it’s not explained well in the Carfection video. The fan is situated behind the engine so how can it ram air into the intake :?
How about not having a sig at all?
mik

Post by mik »

It can’t and it doesn’t. According to Autocar the ram effect on the intake at and above 150mph allows the Cosworth lump to make upwards of 700bhp though.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Just seen something similar mentioned on the car magazine price
“ Finally, a V-max mode works just like Streamline mode, but takes top speed over consumption and gives the car a 30bhp boost using the 48V starter motor.”
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.car ... urray/t50/

Wizardry.
mik

Post by mik »

So in V-Max mode the fan is used to create the “virtual long tail” and the alternator/starter provides an extra 30bhp at the crank. The fan isn’t contributing to the power output.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Isn’t everything off the 1 48 volt motor?