Gordon Murray T50 Live Launch

integrale_evo

Re: Gordon Murray T50 Live Launch

Post by integrale_evo »

No, there’s a starter / alternator / generator bolted to the front of the engine. The fan is bolted to the back of the body.
Cheers, Harry
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Mito Man wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:54 am “ Finally, a V-max mode works just like Streamline mode, but takes top speed over consumption and gives the car a 30bhp boost using the 48V starter motor.”
So 30hp boost for some Vmax running means a fairly chunky battery?
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

He explained in Harry’s video. They’ve developed their own power pack with a 12v battery, a 48v battery, a cooling system and something to do with running the aircon that somehow only weighs 12 kilos.
An absolute unit
mik

Post by mik »

Beany wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:21 am
mik wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:13 am
On reflection, I am not sure he's thought through every scenario.

Imagine you take delivery of your new T50. (Why did you order it with the drivers seat in purple Ostrich skin Jimmy? :? )
You're making progress along a country road, revelling in the available grip, when you come across a section where Farmer Bill has been dragging his manure truck, and the contents have spilled onto the road...... well.... I don’t need to spell out what's going to happen next do I ?.... :o
It's filtered, so not much really.
If the filter is after the fan - my joke still works.
But I suspect it is ahead of the fan.
So you have ruined my joke. 🙁

Come 2 think of it - These filters are going to need replacing pretty regularly I would think.... :?:
Beany

Post by Beany »

Apparently they don't expect it to pick much up due to the way the air is being directed, so perhaps not as much as you'd think.

That said, I suspect the test mules will prove that one right or wrong....
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

:roll: was
Nathan wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:33 am
mik wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:33 am
Nathan wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:31 am I'm struggling to understand how the fan draws 8.5KW ?
40cm fan spinning at 7krpm. 8.5kw probably isn’t the steady-state power requirement at this speed, but the power needed to quickly accelerate it to this speed in order that it can actually respond quickly enough as part of the active aero system?
At a guess when producing that amount of air supply/ suction it’ll be under quite a bit of load.

Dave!
Marv

Post by Marv »

Imagine you take delivery of your new T50. (Why did you order it with the drivers seat in purple Ostrich skin Jimmy? :? )
You're making progress along a country road, revelling in the available grip, when you come across a section where Farmer Bill has been dragging his manure truck, and the contents have spilled onto the road...... well.... I don’t need to spell out what's going to happen next do I ?.... :o
It's gonna turn the boundary layer along the diffuser to shit?
Oui, je suis un motard.
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:55 pm
Beany wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:21 am

It's filtered, so not much really.
If the filter is after the fan - my joke still works.
But I suspect it is ahead of the fan.
So you have ruined my joke. 🙁

Come 2 think of it - These filters are going to need replacing pretty regularly I would think.... :?:
That filter shall from now forth be know as the shit filter.
mik

Post by mik »

The Shilter (TM)
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

V8Granite wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:39 pm

At a guess when producing that amount of air supply/ suction it’ll be under quite a bit of load.
Fair point
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Marv wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:40 pm It's gonna turn the boundary layer along the diffuser to shit?
:ugeek: :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

GG.

Post by GG. »

Much more like it.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sort of defeats the point of the active aero though, which is specifically to avoid having a massive wing.

Fucking felt tip fairies!
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Well I’ve had a look at the Le Mans Hypercar regulations and the fan would be banned.

“ 3.4.1 General
Only one bodywork may be homologated.
Only one bodywork adjustable aerodynamic device (such as a wing, flap...) may be used. Whatever the position of this device, the car must fullfill the aerodynamic criteria defined in the Appendixes to these Regulations at all times. Movable and/or deformable bodywork parts/elements are forbidden when the car is in motion.
Any system operated automatically and/or controlled by the driver to modify any airflow when the car is in motion is forbidden, unless explicitly authorized by the present regulations.”

So big wing it is. If we all chip in a few quid we can buy a T50 and just go through these rules and race at Le Mans next year?
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/file ... .10.23.pdf
How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

I admire the ‘no aero add ons’ philosophy, it all goes to pot when there’s a massive weird looking fan glued to the back though, hardly subtle aero is it :lol:

Personally I think it would look miles better with a little splitter at the front like the lm rendering.
Cheers, Harry
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

Mito Man wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:35 pm Well I’ve had a look at the Le Mans Hypercar regulations and the fan would be banned.

“ 3.4.1 General
Only one bodywork may be homologated.
Only one bodywork adjustable aerodynamic device (such as a wing, flap...) may be used. Whatever the position of this device, the car must fullfill the aerodynamic criteria defined in the Appendixes to these Regulations at all times. Movable and/or deformable bodywork parts/elements are forbidden when the car is in motion.
Any system operated automatically and/or controlled by the driver to modify any airflow when the car is in motion is forbidden, unless explicitly authorized by the present regulations.”

So big wing it is. If we all chip in a few quid we can buy a T50 and just go through these rules and race at Le Mans next year?
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/file ... .10.23.pdf
Solution: have it controlled by another team member via remote control. :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:46 pm I admire the ‘no aero add ons’ philosophy, it all goes to pot when there’s a massive weird looking fan glued to the back though, hardly subtle aero is it :lol:

Personally I think it would look miles better with a little splitter at the front like the lm rendering.
yep, the strange little overbite front end needs a lower part to finish it.
mik

Post by mik »

As we are talking F1 - I don’t think I ever saw this back in the day.
:?

Nice catch.

Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:56 pm
Rear 1/4 still looks shit