Gordon Murray T50 Live Launch

mik

Re: Gordon Murray T50 Live Launch

Post by mik »

The more I read about it, the more I like it.
mik

Post by mik »

Blimey - Harry got in early

Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Stop look. A car no everyday petrol head can own.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’ve figured out what’s wrong with it proportionally for me. Too much bodywork height over the rear wheels. Makes it look like the front wheels are 2 inches bigger than the rears in the side on shots.
How about not having a sig at all?
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

I'll take two please.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:53 pm I’ve figured out what’s wrong with it proportionally for me. Too much bodywork height over the rear wheels. Makes it look like the front wheels are 2 inches bigger than the rears in the side on shots.
I think its something that would look better all in black rather than the silly two tone. It would like like a slightly emasculated batmobile then :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Will it be twice as irrelevant as a T25? The petrol Town car when everyone else was making electric ones?

Marv

Post by Marv »

It's a Supercar, Rich. Therefore it's immediately irrelevant by its very nature.

Watched Harry's vid about it, was a bit skeptical to begin with (we're all old, moany and have Supercar fatigue now, right?) But it's hard to ignore the engineering integrity of the thing. Harry seemed very impressed too. It would be great if the styling had a bit more of an edge to it, but otherwise I imagine it's going to give quite a visceral driving experience.
Oui, je suis un motard.
mik

Post by mik »

Just finished Harry’s vid. Wow. :shock: Deep respect. I will never own one, but the purity and focus of approach is epic. After years of seeing new hyper cars being launched and thinking “yeah OK - amazing numbers, but.....” this is fab 8-)
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

mik wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:53 pm Just finished Harry’s vid. Wow. :shock: Deep respect. I will never own one, but the purity and focus of approach is epic. After years of seeing new hyper cars being launched and thinking “yeah OK - amazing numbers, but.....” this is fab 8-)
The line about not seeing a cover or plastic tat was very telling as was his obvious excitement at how every part is a beautiful bit of engineering.

I think this will be pretty special.

Dave!
Beany

Post by Beany »

It's comparatively tiny externally, too. It's a dinky wee thing.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Watching it now, i can’t help but think it’ll be held back by just how ugly the front and Particularly the rear is! The whole vid compared it to the F1, which is just so much better proportioned and better looking.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

There’s no way you can fit 3 people in there, his elbow is literally on the passengers seat base to change gear.
mik

Post by mik »

Murray (who is 74 - blimey) is famously at least 6’15”.

The F1 isn’t exactly like a FFRR in the two side seats either.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

I'd like a look at the venturi and the shizzle it does to change the downforce from underneath.

The doubling of downforce under emergency braking is remarkable.

I'll take mine in purple tin purple.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

I think it's wonderful and even more after watching HM's video. The fan looks shit but who cares!!
mik

Post by mik »

The insights via the vid with Harry were fantastic. Several other vids appeared late last night which I didn't watch - the TopGear one has an F1 alongside - presumably to allow further direct comparisons. I am sure there is a lot of truth in the technical messages, with a sprinkinling of sales pitch at times too. Mr Murray has been busy.

Several complaints on twitter that it is too like an evolution of the F1. That Murray should have been bolder with the styling and the approach. I am sure much of the form-follows-function arguments that "force" it to be F1-esque are true. I also suspect that - if you want 100 wealthy people to give you circa £3million (with taxes) for the most focussed driving machine ever - being able to link it very strongly to the F1 (which sold for £650k odd from memory, and now go for upwards of £10million) is probably quite important. Some of the buyers will be mad petrolheads and/or very keen drivers. But I suspect not all.

It is also interesting that GM will be 76 before customer cars are delivered. So surely this is his last hurrah before he hangs up his.. erm... mouse? What a bang to retire on....
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

Broccers wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:45 pm Stop look. A car no everyday petrol head can own.
Aren’t you the one always telling people to talk about cars :lol:

I like it, V12, clever tech, fast as fuck. Sounds ideal.
An absolute unit
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I don’t think it looks at all like a Mclaren F1 bar the glass and interior layout. It looks like less attractive competitor from the same era. The styling is pretty retro in that regard
How about not having a sig at all?
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Pete_ wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:59 pm Wasn't too keen when I first saw it, but having just listened to the DriveNation Podcast interview with Gordon Murray I love the philosophy behind it.
Collecting Cars (@collectingcars_) Tweeted:
🔊 Episode 21 of the @collectingcars_ podcast is live! @harrismonkey joins world-renowned automotive designer, Gordon Murray, to discuss his complete career; through F1 in the '70s and '80s, the legendary McLaren F1, and his new T.50 supercar.
https://t.co/hM89ZqSKDo https://t.co/GkfNZASIrn

CH has released his now too.