1st 6months with the McLaren 720S Spider & an "Issue"

SSO

1st 6months with the McLaren 720S Spider & an "Issue"

Post by SSO »

Just posted a new article updating on our 1st 6 months with the 720S Spider, and we did have an "issue"

https://karenable.com/mclaren-720s-spid ... -an-issue/

Comments?
Simon

Re: 1st 6months with the McLaren 720S Spider & an "Issue"

Post by Simon »

To have lost gas volume after 6 months suggests that it is losing refrigerant somehow. Although you say it was pressure and leak tested, was that done with the engine actually running (which can expose failing pump seals) which a static test will often pass without issue.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Is it fully automatic, or as you usually drive it roof off does ac not get used much? Seals don’t like ac not being used as it doesn’t keep the system properly lubricated.

Refrigerant doesn’t just vanish unless there’s wit he r not enough put in in the first place, or there’s a leak.

Our main two cars are 14 and 8 years old and neither have ever had their aircon recharged.
Cheers, Harry
SSO

Post by SSO »

Apparently the AC system is very sensitive to fill level and if there is just a slight drop it goes out. My guess is a bit of lack of use and perhaps a slight underfill originally were the issues. System was pressure tested properly.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

'tingling the inner petrolchild"

Kudos for this phrase :lol:

I also seem to have forgotten you had this McLaren, is the count three or do you have more :mrgreen:
mik

Post by mik »

You started two paragraphs with “The more time I spend in the the 720S Spider”. Despite one one instance extended to “The more time I spend in the driver’s seat of the 720S Spider”, I consider this flagrant repetition, and therefore deducted 8 points.
SSO

Post by SSO »

speedingfine wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:24 pm 'tingling the inner petrolchild"

Kudos for this phrase :lol:

I also seem to have forgotten you had this McLaren, is the count three or do you have more :mrgreen:
Just 4
SSO

Post by SSO »

mik wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:40 pm You started two paragraphs with “The more time I spend in the the 720S Spider”. Despite one one instance extended to “The more time I spend in the driver’s seat of the 720S Spider”, I consider this flagrant repetition, and therefore deducted 8 points.
Thats a massive deduction. Where is the foul?
mik

Post by mik »

No challenging the ref. Your deduction has been increased to 10 points.

I don’t make the rules SSO.
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

mik wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:40 pm You started two paragraphs with “The more time I spend in the the 720S Spider”. Despite one one instance extended to “The more time I spend in the driver’s seat of the 720S Spider”, I consider this flagrant repetition, and therefore deducted 8 points.
-2 points for Mik :P
SSO

Post by SSO »

mik wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:52 pm No challenging the ref. Your deduction has been increased to 10 points.

I don’t make the rules SSO.
Under English Common Law, I have the right to see the evidence against me.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Mik cares not for English law.
zx6rkiller
Currently Driving: M2 Comp, 420d

Post by zx6rkiller »

I've never driven anything as fast or capable as a 720S or Senna.
However, I regularly run around in an M2 and tuned M3.
Even those cars feel most of the time frustrating in dense, Belgian traffic.
Do the even faster supercars feel limited in even more places, or can you really enjoy them in any environment?
I assume that much has also to do with the driver's own mindset.
dan

Post by dan »

Mik is Scottish secret service (Och aye 5) so english law has no jurisdiction over him.
SSO

Post by SSO »

zx6rkiller wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:42 am I've never driven anything as fast or capable as a 720S or Senna.
However, I regularly run around in an M2 and tuned M3.
Even those cars feel most of the time frustrating in dense, Belgian traffic.
Do the even faster supercars feel limited in even more places, or can you really enjoy them in any environment?
I assume that much has also to do with the driver's own mindset.
You can enjoy them in a range of environments. Part of it is mindset and part of it is good local knowledge, knowing where there good roads are where you can open it up a bit. I did live in Belgium so understand your comments. There are some good roads in the Ardennes and Germany isn't too far away.
SSO

Post by SSO »

dan wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:54 am Mik is Scottish secret service (Och aye 5) so english law has no jurisdiction over him.
Does he recognize Queen Elizabeth II or is loyal to a decendent of Bonnie Prince Charlie's line?
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

dan wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:54 am Mik is Scottish secret service (Och aye 5) so english law has no jurisdiction over him.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I believe under Scotchish law you're entitled to an appeal. This can only be performed outside a co-op on a thursday morning after both drinking 12 cans of purple tin. If you can convince anyone of anything, you win.

This post seems to be a bit more rushed than previous articles you've written. It's almost like it's missed an editing stage. It's still a fascinating read and I enjoyed it but it seemed a little less polished than your usual work. I'd demand a refund but... Well, you know.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
SSO

Post by SSO »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:45 pm
This post seems to be a bit more rushed than previous articles you've written. It's almost like it's missed an editing stage. It's still a fascinating read and I enjoyed it but it seemed a little less polished than your usual work. I'd demand a refund but... Well, you know.
Your powers of observation are quite keen. I wrote this one in one sitting and then decide to post it up. Normally its a multi day process.
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

SSO wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:37 pm
Your powers of observation are quite keen. I wrote this one in one sitting and then decide to post it up. Normally its a multi day process.
I did some writing years ago and the thing that made my writing good/passable was an editor and plenty of rewrites.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
SSO

Post by SSO »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:11 pm
SSO wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:37 pm
I did some writing years ago and the thing that made my writing good/passable was an editor and plenty of rewrites.
I see my main selling point being that the content is free. :D