New wheels Golf Clubsport S

revsRus
Currently Driving: Mclaren 600LT
VW Golf Clubsport S

New wheels Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

All 4 of my “pretoria” wheels have now cracked and been repaired and cracked again. I’m done with them. So I’m going to put a set of OZ ultraleggera wheels on instead which are a similar design and hopefully just as light and am seriously considering being very brave and getting them in gold (red car) rather than the standard silver. Couple of questions from anyone who knows about wheels

1. What offset should I get? I’ve read somewhere it’s 49 as standard, they’re only available in 35, 41 and 45
2. Where is a good place to buy wheels? Demon Tweeks offering them at £2080 for a set of 4, which seems about right

And a general question, no expertise required, are gold wheels on a red car absolutely naff on anything other than a ferrari speciale?
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Re: New wheels Golf Clubsport S

Post by Gavin »

No idea about the offset but gold on red is a no from me but if you like it go for it.
mik

Post by mik »

OZ Ultraleggara come in Matt Bronze, which looks a millionty better than gold, and suits red just fine IMHO.

For offset you want as close to std as possible. Not so sensitive at the rear, but changing offset at the front changes the steering axis offset, and can therefore have undesirable side effects on steering feel, how it reacts to road bumps etc. An ET45 will stick out 4mm further than an ET49 (assuming your info on the original fitment is good).

No idea if anyone in Glasgow is an OZ dealer - if the price is similar it would be nice to get them put on the car for you and you know all is good. Otherwise “Wheelbase” seem to be a big UK supplier too(?)
Last edited by mik on Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
revsRus
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

mik wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:59 pm OZ Ultraleggara come in Matt Bronze, which looks a millionty better than gold, and suits red just fine IMHO.

For offset you want as close to std as possible. Not so sensitive at the rear, but changing offset at the front changes the steering axis offset, and can therefore have undesirable side effects on steering feel, how it reacts to road bumps etc. An ET45 will stick out 4mm further than an ET49 (assuming your info on the original fitment is good).

No idea if anyone in Glasgow is an OZ dealer - if the price is similar it would be nice to get them put on the car for you and you know all is good.
Thanks Mik. We’re going to have to cross swords again on wheel colour I’m afraid. Bronze is bogging
mik

Post by mik »

:lol:
revsRus
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

Some clever clogs (evidently not me) suggested looking at the back of the wheel to see if it’s stamped on the back of the spokes. It is. ET50. Bingo
revsRus
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

Mik your wheelbase recommendation only has them in gloss black and matt black. I smell a rat
mik

Post by mik »

:lol: I’ve already told you I don’t - as a general rule - like black wheels.

Although I am getting a sense that the last doth protest too much ;)

What size are the CS wheels?
revsRus
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

mik wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:52 pm :lol: I’ve already told you I don’t - as a general rule - like black wheels.

The tyres are 235/35/19 which I’m learning means 19” inch wheels (obvs) with 8 or 8.5” width, whichever is your preference. Surely to fuck you want the 8” cos it’s lighter? Any clue?
scotta

Post by scotta »

mik wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:52 pm :lol: I’ve already told you I don’t - as a general rule - like black wheels.

What colour wheels are on your Lotus....?

What colour wheels did the Jag have.....?
scotta

Post by scotta »

revsRus wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:57 pm

The tyres are 235/35/19 which I’m learning means 19” inch wheels (obvs) with 8 or 8.5” width, whichever is your preference. Surely to fuck you want the 8” cos it’s lighter? Any clue?
You'll want whatever youve already got - if you go narrower the tyres will be pinched in.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I'm with mik, bronze would look pretty cool. :?
revsRus
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

scotta wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:59 pm
revsRus wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:57 pm

You'll want whatever youve already got - if you go narrower the tyres will be pinched in.
By 6.25mm either side, will that really make any difference whatsoever?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

235 will be fine on an 8in, but if you’re going narrower than the standard wheels you might want to go slightly lower on the offset as they’ll look a bit more lost on the arches.

So if your standard ones were 8.5in et50 is probably pick the 8in et41s. If you get the 8.5in get the et45s
Cheers, Harry
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Bronze with some brake dust looks good to me ;)
mik

Post by mik »

If the offset was stamped / cast on the back of the wheel, the size will be too. It will either state 8.0J19 or 8.5J19.

And what everyone else said - go with what you have now.
mik

Post by mik »

scotta wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:58 pm

What colour wheels are on your Lotus....?

What colour wheels did the Jag have.....?
Shush.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Volkswizard has OZ wheels on his TCR, he's got a few videos up if you want some info on sizes/offset. Send him a message on Twitter.
jamcg

Post by jamcg »

Obviously not the correct wheels or model of golf, but gives an idea of colour combinations.... I definitely prefer the bronze, but I don’t hate the gold....

Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Well if you go for the gold it will look like the bronze after 100 miles :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?