yes
29%
no
71%

Total votes: 24

Broccers

Wheel bearing/s

Post by Broccers »

Mine is grumbling on the left and it got me thinking is it best to do both at the same time?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Wheel bearing/s

Post by Rich B »

Start going around roundabouts the wrong way and it’ll balance out eventually.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:50 pm Start going around roundabouts the wrong way and it’ll balance out eventually.
Good plan.

I have just done a little google into labour costs of this little jobette and guess what - its 3 hours a side it seems ......
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

They’re either worn or they’re not, I wouldn’t replace a bearing that’s showing no movement or wear. Especially as it’s not a ‘while you’re in there’ item, the cost to do the other one on its own another time will be the same as doing the one on its own at the moment.

The left sides usually wear first in the uk, as it sits down the camber of the road, bashes through all the puddles and potholes and sees the most load on roundabouts.

On knackered old BMW’s, the only other job to do while you’re doing a wheel bearing are the brake disk backing plates if they’re looking a bit rough, as you’ll have to destroy the bearing to change them at a later date.
Cheers, Harry
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I am in agreement but the parts are cheap..... fitting is not. As with most things with knackered old boxsters there seems to be a rust issue on bolts which break and cause you immense grief. The guy who fitted my condensers yesterday did comment on how it was nice to have a low miles car in as it wasnt too much bother to work on...... bet these are a bugger.
mik

Post by mik »

What Harry said.

A grumbling bearing on one side is no indication that the other side is going to go in the next x miles.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I've always done both sides, just to satisfy my own need for symmetry, but that's with me doing the spannering. If I was paying someone else to do it I'd agree with Harry.
dan

Post by dan »

Wheel bearings are fine until they're not. There's no economy of scale in doing both at the same time, in fact theres no good reason to change one that doesn't need changing.
Barry

Post by Barry »

On a car I'd only do the side that's complaining, on the bike (as I've just had done as it happens) I get all bearings replaced when one fails. Rear cush drive bearing finally gave up on the Fazer, I had both wheel bearings done while it was apart - amazed they lasted this long tbh. 19yr old bike, 77k miles..
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Well its neck and neck on the poll.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:07 pm Well its neck and neck on the poll.
60/40 now. Not that a poll is terribly relevant - take Dan’s advice. I don’t ask for a democratic vote when I give legal advice 😄
mik

Post by mik »

Dude - it’s like changing your passenger window ‘cos your drivers one is cracked.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I may have alluded to the fact this is not cheap to do so therefore if its pointless I will not be spending more of my furlough or bounce back loan than required :lol:
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Those saying do both are either mental or want to see you spending money you don’t need to for the lols :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I had both done but BMW warranty was paying :P
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I hope the poll results have no bearing on your decision.
How about not having a sig at all?
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I guess the only reason you’d want to do both is if having your car off the road for any time is such a huge inconvenience/cost that it’s worth pre-empting the other failure to save another day at the garage. But the other could last years in reality!
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Quite.

I have changed both left bearings on my e36 during my ownership, probably 50+k apart, the right two have done at least the 120k I’ve done in the car and quite possibly the full 275k it’s done so far :lol:
Cheers, Harry
Marv

Post by Marv »

If I'm paying a mechanic to do it - get just the worn side done.

If I'm doing it myself - both sides.
Oui, je suis un motard.
dan

Post by dan »

Good god the internet never ceases to amaze me.

You don't change wheel bearings that don't need changing, even if you're pretending you're doing it yourself. On your pushbike maybe, but not on a fucking car.