yes
29%
no
71%

Total votes: 24

DeskJockey

Re: Wheel bearing/s

Post by DeskJockey »

Can't change my vote, but I stand corrected. Your combined superior knowledge on the topic convinced me I was wrong to assume both needed doing as a pair.

Should I ever need one done, I know better now. Internet isn't all bad!*

* Very heavily caveated statement.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Beany

Post by Beany »

I've never done more than one bearing at a time, but that's mostly been a financial/time thing. They're one of those things that my friendly mechanic told me, specifically, not to worry about until they need worrying about.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

dan wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:56 am Good god the internet never ceases to amaze me.

You don't change wheel bearings that don't need changing, even if you're pretending you're doing it yourself. On your pushbike maybe, but not on a fucking car.
I wasn’t pretending, I have very definitely done E36 bearings myself ! Fronts pretty easy. The rears, however, I have no intention of doing that job ever again. Horrible horrible job.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:26 am
dan wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:56 am Good god the internet never ceases to amaze me.

You don't change wheel bearings that don't need changing, even if you're pretending you're doing it yourself. On your pushbike maybe, but not on a fucking car.
I wasn’t pretending, I have very definitely done E36 bearings myself ! Fronts pretty easy. The rears, however, I have no intention of doing that job ever again. Horrible horrible job.
That bad?
mik

Post by mik »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:26 am

I hadn’t noticed Dan’s throwaway slur earlier :lol:

I wasn’t pretending either - have done loads. Initially helping my dad, later on my own. My dad was a great man for finding a way. Removal involved holding the hub in a cast-iron piece of “no idea what this is but it might come in handy” that he came across one day, a 4llb lump hammer, and a slice of railway sleeper - about 12mm wide (also found) which proved a great drift.

Inner race removal involved swearing at ineffective pullers, smaller hammers, sometimes old kitchen knives that were sacrificed in the call of duty, and less often - the angle grinder.

That was the easy bit, as we never had a press.

Fitment of the new bearing went in using a very old bench vice, with various spacers n shit (and often the recently removed bearing shells) to try and keep it straight. You can’t use a hammer on a vice. Destroys the screw. Luckily no-one had told ours this, so with grease applied the same 4lb lump hammer was swung onto the vice handle to drive it in.

This method always worked, although I rather suspect now that it contributed significantly to the fact I did so many over the years.... 🤔
dan

Post by dan »

It’s not meant to be a slur against those that have actually done the job, more a general observation on the kind of advice that people with absolutely no qualification to do so are so willing to dish out.

If you’ve done wheel bearings you know they’re invariably a ball ache and just not the sort of thing you do for the sake of it. Would you also flush all the other toilets in house after a taking a shit in one of them? It’s about as relevant.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

dan wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:07 am IWould you also flush all the other toilets in house after a taking a shit in one of them? It’s about as relevant.
End of fred :lol:
M235i
mik

Post by mik »

dan wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:07 am Would you also flush all the other toilets in house after a taking a shit in one of them? It’s about as relevant.
:lol: (Although that extra water might help get it beyond your property.... :geek: )
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Only change when knackered or adjust as necessary.

Also if it’s a press fit bearing, sometimes you can only press new bearings in so many times till the hub/ housing itself needs replacing.

Dave!
Marv

Post by Marv »

I pretended to change both front wheel bearings on my 968 because it's a fairly straight forward job...left my RACE mechanic to do the rear bearing when it was making noise, as it's a PITA job.
Oui, je suis un motard.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Is a special tool required to do mine? Thats the reason why Im not doing it :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Marv - pictured in his “968 workwear”.

Broccers

Post by Broccers »

V8Granite wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:52 am Only change when knackered or adjust as necessary.

Also if it’s a press fit bearing, sometimes you can only press new bearings in so many times till the hub/ housing itself needs replacing.

Dave!
A chance for education for me - I presume this is a press bearing

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticl ... arings.htm
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Yes.

The bearing is pressed into the upright from the wheel side, where it butts up against a shoulder. It’s usually then held in place with a big circlip although really that’s a safety measure as the press for of the bearing will stop it ever moving.

Then the hub is pressed into the centre of the bearing, and on a rwd car the driveshaft is put back through the middle and the hubnut done up FT.

They’re the sort that are a pain to diy. Often because the driveshaft is nicely stuck in the hub, plus you have to beat the crap out of them to separate the hub from the bearing, usually leaving part of the inner race stuck to the hub as in the inset picture, then you have to try and get the outer out of the hub carrier. Usually involves lots of hammering and swearing. Easiest way to diy it is to run a decent bead of weld around the inside of the outer race, when it cools it contracts and is often enough that you can just tap it out of the housing.

Front bearing on most rwd BMW’s are a piece of cake. They come as one with a flange so you just undo the nut, persuade the hub off with a hammer, shove the new one on and stick a new nut on. All going to plan they can be done in 15mins. A bit longer I’d the old inner race sticks to the stub axel, but a careful slice with a grinder and wack with a cold chisel will soon have that out of the way.
Cheers, Harry
scotta

Post by scotta »

dan wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:07 am It’s not meant to be a slur against those that have actually done the job, more a general observation on the kind of advice that people with absolutely no qualification to do so are so willing to dish out.

If you’ve done wheel bearings you know they’re invariably a ball ache and just not the sort of thing you do for the sake of it. Would you also flush all the other toilets in house after a taking a shit in one of them? It’s about as relevant.
Myself and Neil did the bearing on the lotus. It was a fucking arse of a job. Fuck doing the other side just for the lols.

Toe links on the other hand I did them both.
mik

Post by mik »

mik wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:59 am, and a slice of railway sleeper - about 12mm wide (also found) which proved a great drift.
Arse. I meant a slice of railway track. Cool thing that.
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

Prescient thread, was driving the Volvo yesterday and when you put weight on the front left which no doubt will herald a largish bill.

Thanks to this thread, I know to just change the one though at least. :)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Gavin wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:30 am Prescient thread, was driving the Volvo yesterday and when you put weight on the front left which no doubt will herald a largish bill.
its almost a sentence!
mik

Post by mik »

Bit unfair Rich - it’s not easy to type into your phone when you are running round flushing all your bogs.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

So are we flushing all our bogs if we suspect we have a dodgy wheel bearing now?
Cheers, Harry