Mitsubishi UK/EU

simon_g

Mitsubishi UK/EU

Post by simon_g »

Dead. https://www.am-online.com/news/manufact ... th-dealers

20 years since the Evo 6. I thought they were doing OK with the Outlander PHEV and the like but the fleet average CO2 must have been the final push.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Mitsubishi UK/EU

Post by Jobbo »

Blimey. You see loads of Shoguns and L200s around. I thought they were doing OK.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:31 pm Blimey. You see loads of Shoguns and L200s around. I thought they were doing OK.
More or less than LandCruisers* though?

*or pretend LCs?
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Far more :lol:
Simon

Post by Simon »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:31 pm Blimey. You see loads of Shoguns and L200s around. I thought they were doing OK.
Yeah - my bosses wife has a PHEV Outlander and you see a lot of those around too. This is really surprising.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Apparently this is Renault/Nissan alliance related. Big drive to cut costs and it looks like Renault will lead in Europe, Nissan US/Japan/China and Mitsubishi rest of Asia and Oceania.
mik

Post by mik »

Never owned one, but surprised to see this.

Their fall since the Evo appears to have emulated Subaru’s fall since the WRX/STI :|
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Mitsubishi sold over 10,000 L200's in the UK last year and Outlanders seem to be everywhere. Renault aren't going offer alternatives to retain those £s, seems bizarre.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

"Mitsubishi for US, Renault for Europe and Nissan for Asia." Hmm, talk about missing the target market. Maybe the UK market doesn't matter enough but I'd imagine the UK market for Nissan and Mitsubishi brands is larger than that for Renault. Renault comes with the baggage of flakiness, that isn't hte case for Japanese brands.

How very odd. It also reads a little like they'll become more homogenous and we'll simply get the region-specific badge stuck on, unless I'm reading far too much into that article.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

i can kind of understand Mitsubishi, but Nissan would be an odd one to phase out - the gashquai has to be one of the best selling cars in this country?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:32 pm i can kind of understand Mitsubishi, but Nissan would be an odd one to phase out - the gashquai has to be one of the best selling cars in this country?
Quick search says as well as the L200's 10k plus Outlander PHEVs a year in the UK and a further 12k plus Shogun's, ASX, Eclipse etc.

That's a £1 billion of cars.
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Carlos wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:48 pm
Rich B wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:32 pm i can kind of understand Mitsubishi, but Nissan would be an odd one to phase out - the gashquai has to be one of the best selling cars in this country?
Quick search says as well as the L200's 10k plus Outlander PHEVs a year in the UK and a further 12k plus Shogun's, ASX, Eclipse etc.

That's a £1 billion of cars.
Crazy, unless it costs them £1.1billion to achieve those sales!
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

I read that and came away with the impression we’ll still get the cars but they’ll all be branded as Renault.

It’d help improve Renault’s reliability record, putting the other two brands under the Renault banner.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Think it's more to do with certain parts of the "alliance" leading development of different cars then them being badge engineered for sale by each brand.

Mitsubishi is in quite a weak position though.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I was thinking about the Navara too, surely there’s a veritable shed load of those getting sold each year, or has that market become very diluted now that everybody is building a pickup?
Cheers,

Mike.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Renault sell their version of the Navara (the Alaskan) in other markets, mostly South America but no reason they couldn’t bring it here.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

The Nissan X-Trail has been their third biggest seller (behind Qashqai and Micra). Renault's Koleos version was dropped a couple of weeks ago because it didn't sell. The Qashqai is regularly one of the top selling cars in the UK, the sister Kadjar is not.

In 2020, Nissan had sold over 30,000 cars to the end of June, Renault sold half as many.

It makes absolutely no sense to concentrate on the weaker brand in the UK. Now Nissan haven't specifically said they're going to dump Britain and sell us Renault-badged versions but it could be inferred. If they did, I bet they'd lose market share as against just Nissan's figures, let alone Renault+Nissan's current sales.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I thought the Shogun was long dead, only ever see late 90s ones around here. The Outlander PHEV did seem popular though.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Yeah surprised at this too, although if it's cost-driven then perhaps normal reasoning goes out of the window. See plenty of Outlanders in Witney's car parks of a weekend, very popular round 'ere.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Good thread retweeted by Sniff on Twatter today:

The artist formerly known as _Who_