New car for Pops.

McSwede

New car for Pops.

Post by McSwede »

My Dad is nearing 77 years old and has decided to stop riding his motorbike. He had a Honda Transalp with SS exhaust which was in spanking good condition. He mentioned to his local garage he was going to sell it and the snapped his hand off.

We then decided to look for a fun car and almost immediately have bought a 2004 MR2. Black with red leather. 1 owner with history and 39k. I've just driven it back from Bolton and it's a lovely thing. Took it for a quick thrash down my local bendy road and it's fab. Handles flat, loads of grip and plenty of smiles.

It needs new tyres which have been ordered and probably front pads. He's really pleased which is nice.

A cracking little car.
dinny_g

Re: New car for Pops.

Post by dinny_g »

Whereas my Dad’s looking at a Nissan Quashqai :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
Pete_

Post by Pete_ »

I was thinking about MR2s yesterday, you don't see many about these days.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Pete_ wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:55 pm I was thinking about MR2s yesterday, you don't see many about these days.
You don't. They're either big mileage and tatty or low mileage and a little steep. This one was a little steep but he'll keep it then give it to me 😂 First time I've driven one and they're great.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

dinny_g wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:49 pm Whereas my Dad’s looking at a Nissan Quashqai :lol:
Lol. He has a C5 Aircross for the dull stuff.
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

2ZZ it when the original motor dies. Watch for oil consumption on the 1ZZ.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

mr_jon wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:30 pm 2ZZ it when the original motor dies. Watch for oil consumption on the 1ZZ.
Thanks. It appears to run really clean. No smoke when Dad followed me home. Trying to convince him to get nice exhaust to get rid of the pre-cats 😂
mr_jon

Post by mr_jon »

Aye, though the pre-cats are the knock-on issue. They never really fixed the 1ZZ despite some internet wisdom to the contrary about later cars. 6-speed is nice on the later cars, though!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Cool car for a near octogenarian 8-)
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

:lol: 8-)
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Carlos wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:26 am Cool car for a near octogenarian 8-)
Indeed. He's young at heart and pretty fit. I'm looking forward to a few runs out with him in our MX5.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Is the MR2 one of those cars which goes from “sticks like shit” to backwards through a hedge in an instant or am I thinking of something else?
How about not having a sig at all?
Jimmy Choo

Post by Jimmy Choo »

Mito Man wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:33 am Is the MR2 one of those cars which goes from “sticks like shit” to backwards through a hedge in an instant or am I thinking of something else?
The Mk2, especially the Turbo did. @dan used to make driving his Mk3 sideways look easy*. The early S2000's were snappier than a crocodile in a bathtub full of mousetraps before the suspension revisions, (IIRC).

* In fairness, I suspect Dan could make powersliding a Robin Rialto look easy.
Banal Vapid Platitudes
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Jimmy Choo wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:41 am
Mito Man wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:33 am Is the MR2 one of those cars which goes from “sticks like shit” to backwards through a hedge in an instant or am I thinking of something else?
The Mk2, especially the Turbo did. @dan used to make driving his Mk3 sideways look easy*. The early S2000's were snappier than a crocodile in a bathtub full of mousetraps before the suspension revisions, (IIRC).

* In fairness, I suspect Dan could make powersliding a Robin Rialto look easy.
From my test run yesterday I'd say it was incredibly stable. I'll try again when cracked old tyres are replaced next week with nice new ones.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Nah, mk3 was always supposed to be easy to drift. Obviously with the engine near the rear wheels there will be a point if you push it too far where momentum will take over.
Cheers, Harry
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Had a good run out with him last night following in the MX5. The MR2 is much more torquey so I had to work harder and higher up the rev range in the Mazda which is no bother as it loves to be revved.

It looked really good going down the road, sitting nice and flat round the bends. Dad is really happy with it!!
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

My dad had one for several years, really good cars. Prices must be bottoming out now, can get a tattier one really cheap.
Zonda_

Post by Zonda_ »

I had a great ram air kit fitted to mine, the intake was mounted behind the air scoop in the rear wing to maximise air flow. The noise is made was epic, not shouty or muppety just a deep snarl. It was rolling roaded and was giving a bit more power, nothing massive, something like 20bhp iirc but in a car that was so light to begin with you could really feel the difference.