Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Re: Modern Classics magazine

Post by Jobbo »

And Q magazine ☹️

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Surprised it lasted as long as it did ( modern classics ) as surely there’s only a limited amount of material.

Not like a proper classics mag which can cover cars from many decades, or a modern car mag which can cover new models which are always being released.

There are plenty of cool cars from the 80s and 90s, but also an awful lot of crap which no one would consider a modern classic, but could one day end up as an actual classic.
Cheers, Harry
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Yep Bauer cutting back big time, and I see that the Kelsey vulchers have been circling.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I keep waiting for some sort of resurgence in magazine-buying but it just ain’t going to happen is it? I get the challenges of producing something where a lot of your content is inherently going to be out of date the minute it reaches you, but still, I’m surprised there’s not more of a market for some of these. I still like picking up a magazine and sitting down to look through it.

I sound like a proper old codger don’t I?

On that subject I’ve just picked up all of the Ian Fleming Bond books to read. Nice old tattered and slightly musty-smelling ones from the 60s.
Cheers,

Mike.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

They’re just too expensive really, I like magazines but baulk at paying £5 a pop for a few decent articles and photos spaced between adverts, and what? Couple of hours entertainment at best.

Most people would rather spend the same monthly on a streaming subscription for hundreds of hours entertainment the whole household can enjoy.

I play computer games for a bit of evening relaxation, mobile phones fill most peoples on the bog passing time slot.

I’ve probably only bought 2-3 magazines in the last 5 years. I gave up when I realised I was buying them out of habit and not really reading more than a couple of articles per issue.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

I gave up on paper books probably 10 years ago, I don’t have any nostalgia about paper Feel or smells, I’m much happier with e-ink (or even the kindle app on my phone).

Same goes for magazines really, though they have even less relevance as a format against the variety of ways to read short pieces on the internet.

As for modern classics, I think I said at the beginning that it seemed like a very short sighted focus for a magazine.

Printed media doesn’t have many advantages left against digital format.
ZedLeg

Post by ZedLeg »

I still buy real books (mostly second hand) and a lot of small press zines but the era of mass market magazines is gone imo.

The internet almost completely fulfills the role that those magazines had. Same with a lot of brick and mortar retail stores.
An absolute unit
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

C19 has surely swung the final blow for many physical shops, you can’t even try on clothes in a shop now, so there’s literally no point to even going in them, might as well order online and return what you don’t want. Grocery shopping is easier online, electronics etc is already easier online, it doesn’t leave an awful lot left.
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Subscribed to Modern Classics last month. I guess the last issue will be my first :lol:
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

I'll miss their photography, very often on a par with Evo at their best.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Ordered the final issue today from their website. Had actually gone online to buy a back issue, which was then only available in digital, and different to some on here, I strongly prefer print. For me, tablet-based magazines will never substitute for printed material.