Car insurance

Simon

Car insurance

Post by Simon »

Yeah yeah, 2526 other threads on the matter on here; bite me!

DL have sent through their joke of a renewal £657 vs £554 last year. I won't even bother to get them to haggle. WTF should I? Deb's insurance company were nice enough to refund us £25 automatically as the car is used a lot less due to C19. DL obviously didn't do that and instead raised their price nearly 20%.

What with their attitude to modifying (I'm tempted to stick the Brabus tuning box on in the next few months) DL will be history. So who's good at the mo? Not interested in purely the cheapest price but I want good service too.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Broccers

Re: Car insurance

Post by Broccers »

Both ours are with esure at the moment.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Good service and cheapest price from Direct Line here :lol:
Left over crest; tightens.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

I'm with Admiral this year because they were the cheapest for my 235i before I sold it. I thought changing to the 320d would have lowered the premiums but I was charged £30, 9 of which was for admin charges, and it's £9 per change, if done online, £25 over the phone. Basically, all insurance companies are robbing bastards.
M235i
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

As mentioned in one of the other threads on the subject Admiral were great when we needed them earlier in the year. Saved us more than the policy cost because of the £25 rebate and waiving the excess. If they're reasonable on the renewal I'm tempted to stay. Jobbo don't like them though (with reasons given in the thread).

DL were awful when we needed them a few years ago.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

I can't stand Admiral. Probably fine though if you never need to change anything at all during your policy. Although it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to charge for cancelling auto-renewal.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:19 pm I can't stand Admiral. Probably fine though if you never need to change anything at all during your policy. Although it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to charge for cancelling auto-renewal.
They tried to do this to me after i’d spoken to them on the phone at renewal and asked if they could get close to or beat the other quotes I had, but the muppet on the phone left the auto renew on. When I phoned them up the woman on the other end was in a bit of a funny mood (basically laughing at me) saying it was my mistake ad I’d get a refund minus the cancellation fee, she wasn’t having it that it was their fault they left the auto renew on. It got resolves asked them her why would I knowingly renew on an uncompetitive quote and her responses changed like a like switch and I got a full refund offered to me immediately.

I can only suspect the real reason for the change in response was because if I’d taken that to the ombudsman Admiral would have lost and been fined quite a bit for it.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Fortunately Admiral aren't cheapest for me these days - I used LV this year.

Having said that, I bought it through Topcashback and they declined the cashback, so I'm having to dispute that. £70 or so cashback was material to me choosing to use them.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:51 pm Fortunately Admiral aren't cheapest for me these days - I used LV this year.

Having said that, I bought it through Topcashback and they declined the cashback, so I'm having to dispute that. £70 or so cashback was material to me choosing to use them.
It was the other way round for me this year, LV to Admiral :roll:

And ouch but that should be an easy win right?
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

I’m with LV, Sheila and Admiral. Last one was shiela/esure which were cheapest. Hope I never have to deal with any of them :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?
Gwaredd

Post by Gwaredd »

Mine was up this year all round too.The Toyota was the worse one (£359 vs £318 last year) on my multi car policy with A-plan. When I looked on comparison sites, they wanted over £500+! :o

Transit was up too, but weirdly the Alhambra was down a few quid. :roll:
Cheers.

Gwaredd
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks all. Looks like LV are a good bet for me pricewise, and they're pretty good with modifications too I think.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Had the renewal come through for the car at £582 for the year, up £60ish from last year.

Was tempted to let it roll over, but as we're using Wesleyan for other things I let have them a go, they normally offer extra discounts. They came back with £450, so we took that. Useful saving!

I then contacted Admiral and told them to cancel the auto-renewal, and they came back (and bearing in mind they've still not closed the claim we had in March) with £400, dropping a third of the renewal cost without me even trying. I didn't tell them what we've paid or whom we're going with, so it isn't like they could match a competitor price.

A bit annoyed, really. Not sure if I want to reward that behaviour by cancelling the other policy, but that's how insurance works I guess.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Simon

Post by Simon »

This is my task for tomorrow. I'm strangely looking forward to telling DL to do one and just what I think of the way they've behaved, compared to their competition this year.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

I've only found one company that will insure my car here - due to "import"
Was a bit worried about how much it would go up next year, given that I'm stick with them - it dropped by $12 8-)
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
Simon

Post by Simon »

Like for like cover with LVE is £487 so I'm going with them. Even adding the Brabus box only adds £52 according to the helpful girl on the phone.

I spoke to DL to cancel the auto-renewal and they asked 'why?', so I gave the poor chap a piece of my mind about how poor their renewal quote was. He didn't even try and counter and keep my business. Extraordinary.
Simon

Post by Simon »

So, after my LVE policy started on Saturday, and I've since received my documents, I'm curious that they haven't asked for proof of NCD. I spoke to them on the phone and they said 'if we need it we'll ask for it, but we don't need it from you'.

So how do they know I'm not lying about it?
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Admiral were the same with me. Ultimately, I don't care cos I've got it in writing on the certificate.
M235i
Simon

Post by Simon »

Sure - I just don't want them to cancel it in the future because I haven't supplied it.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:27 pm I’m with LV, Sheila and Admiral. Last one was shiela/esure which were cheapest. Hope I never have to deal with any of them :lol:
Mine was LV when I wrote off my Abarth.

They were really nice, and easy to deal with. YMMV