The "anything & everything" about Porsche Boxsters thread

Beany

Re: The "anything & everything" about Porsche Boxsters thread

Post by Beany »

Might as well, not like it's going to do any actual harm is it.

Yeah, my car can be a bit snaggly going into first (they all do that, as I understand it) and it can take a bit of time to warm up and smooth out, so I imagine fresh oil would be a worthwhile step to take.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Our old 120d was notchy. It was quite annoying tbh. I know Chris Harris has mentioned it in the past as well regarding BMWs so I just assumed it was a BMW thing.

But yeah, an oil refresh can't do any harm.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:41 am Got these off a geezer on boxster Facebook group..

16 a set, they are actually quite good!

That's a bit of a bargain - what are they, £150 or so as an option when ordering new? The colour crests look noticeably nicer on the car than the printed black ones.
GG.

Post by GG. »

Yes that's one thing I've been meaning to change on mine - when I swapped the wheels over from the fussier versions, the replacement set did not have colour centres.

That being said, I've bought non OEM centre caps before and they didn't fit. Let me know how you get on with these.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Worth doing.

Had my new boxster badge fitted this afternoon
They did a health check video. Apparently 3500 quids worth of advisory work needs looking at. Such items like my none Porsche rated tyres with 7mm depth, the less than a year old battery. 😂😂😂
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Broccers wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:41 am Got these off a geezer on boxster Facebook group..

16 a set, they are actually quite good!

I did the same recently but bought them from AliEpxress. Was genuinely surprised by the quality, the coloured ones look nice.

I also bit the bullet and bought a genuine Boxster badge for the boot as the shoddy AliExpress ones I found were for the newer models.

Now we're getting in to Autumn, I keep wondering about a car cover of some sort for it just because of the amount of rain and snow we'll get and the fact the seals on the doors/roof are old and also the condensation on the inside.
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Condensation made better with one of those bags you microwave for inside.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

I reckon I will have saved up enough in a the new year for a worthy replacement for my much missed Boxster. I'm tempted by a Cayman this time, mostly because I think it's a better looking car. Cheekily perusing 3.4S models right now...
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:07 am I reckon I will have saved up enough in a the new year for a worthy replacement for my much missed Boxster. I'm tempted by a Cayman this time, mostly because I think it's a better looking car. Cheekily perusing 3.4S models right now...
I know you mentioned a C4S too... I'm kind of having similar thoughts about where to go next at some point later next year. Current car has 91K on it, but given the work I've done to it I'm not sure if mileage is now that big a thing in its value.

I think the list is..
  • Newer Boxster S
  • Cayman
  • 996 C4S
  • 996 Turbo
  • 997 Turbo
Cheers,

Mike.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Ascender wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:41 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:07 am I reckon I will have saved up enough in a the new year for a worthy replacement for my much missed Boxster. I'm tempted by a Cayman this time, mostly because I think it's a better looking car. Cheekily perusing 3.4S models right now...
I know you mentioned a C4S too... I'm kind of having similar thoughts about where to go next at some point later next year. Current car has 91K on it, but given the work I've done to it I'm not sure if mileage is now that big a thing in its value.

I think the list is..
  • Newer Boxster S
  • Cayman
  • 996 C4S
  • 996 Turbo
  • 997 Turbo
If power was the main worry about the boxster, will you be more leaning towards the end of that list? I suspect your car will have held a lot of value given you have looked after it well.

I'm in the 17-22k budget which I think rules out most of those for me. I also wonder if I should have a non-Porsche dalliance for a while (you can get a 350Z for 10k you know).
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

You might think I'm biased, but you wouldn't regret it.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I'll be honest, its as much about my need to scratch the 911 itch as it is about wanting something with more power. I love the Boxster, but I'm also aware I should probably sell it in the next 18 months or so and "trade up" to maximise what I get for it, but maybe not. I guess I don't know the market well enough at the moment.

Cayman does look very nice too though. I was thinking about something non-Porsche, but this car just feels so well sorted in terms of steering feel and the way it handles that I suspect it might be difficult to get something as-good for sensible money.
Cheers,

Mike.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Ascender wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:16 pm I'll be honest, its as much about my need to scratch the 911 itch as it is about wanting something with more power. I love the Boxster, but I'm also aware I should probably sell it in the next 18 months or so and "trade up" to maximise what I get for it, but maybe not. I guess I don't know the market well enough at the moment.

Cayman does look very nice too though. I was thinking about something non-Porsche, but this car just feels so well sorted in terms of steering feel and the way it handles that I suspect it might be difficult to get something as-good for sensible money.
I agree completely. There’s nothing to touch these cars in the price bracket. There are cheaper things (S2000, 350Z, er, maybe MR2 or MX5) and more expensive (well I have been looking at a 30k Vantage or two…).
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Broccers wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:20 am Nice mods
https://news.sky.com/story/man-continue ... xqNLEZaV1c
WTAF?

Is that the rear bumper he's somehow managed to wedge in to the boot? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Ascender wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:32 pm
Broccers wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:20 am Nice mods
https://news.sky.com/story/man-continue ... xqNLEZaV1c
WTAF?

Is that the rear bumper he's somehow managed to wedge in to the boot? 🤷🏼‍♂️
I guess he picked it up while pissed 😃

Need a service on mine. 1k plus from Porsche, 550 at indie. Still exorbitantly expensive for what you get.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Ascender wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:41 pm

I think the list is..
  • Newer Boxster S
  • Cayman
  • 996 C4S
  • 996 Turbo
  • 997 Turbo
*cough*

C4S
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

I said I wouldn't ask, but what's the spec & price of your C4S @Foz? :D
Cheers,

Mike.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Ascender wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:01 am I said I wouldn't ask, but what's the spec & price of your C4S @Foz? :D
Covered ‘ere: viewtopic.php?p=141024#p141024