The "anything & everything" about Porsche Boxsters thread

240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Re: The "anything & everything" about Porsche Boxsters thread

Post by 240PP »

Put it on eBay and see how long you can you can stand to field messages from mouth breathers. If it all gets too much try WBAC et al.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

240PP wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:55 am Put it on eBay and see how long you can you can stand to field messages from mouth breathers. If it all gets too much try WBAC et al.
I definitely can't be bothered with that, even before starting. I'm stupidly busy with other stuff right now so I'll try selling it back to Northway and if not will go down the Arnold Clark/WBAC/etc route.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Broccers wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:47 am Certainly the best time to sell a drop top.

I really do love mine but it could benefit from about another 100 bhp. I think the long gearing does it no favours.
Agree on both counts. I think it's in a compromise as 6th is a bit short for motorway stuff but it's all a bit long to be as fun as it could be.
dan

Post by dan »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:38 pm
Ascender wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:26 pm Nice picture.

The GoPro suction mount has arrived so I’ll get that on tomorrow and see how the exhaust sounds.
Get on with it ;)

Having looked as the eye watering cost of a geo @ 300 quids plan B is 4 wheel alignment on a hunter. Anyone pointers to where I can find up ideal set up figures to take with me? @dan ?
I’d start by setting it close to whatever the manual says and work from there. Your issue is the chances of getting the donkeys that run most Hunter machines to get it anywhere near correct are slim to say the least.

I’ve had customers drive from one garage to another and get a completely different reading on two Hunter rigs.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

dan wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:26 pm
Broccers wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:38 pm
Ascender wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:26 pm Nice picture.

The GoPro suction mount has arrived so I’ll get that on tomorrow and see how the exhaust sounds.
Get on with it ;)

Having looked as the eye watering cost of a geo @ 300 quids plan B is 4 wheel alignment on a hunter. Anyone pointers to where I can find up ideal set up figures to take with me? @dan ?
I’d start by setting it close to whatever the manual says and work from there. Your issue is the chances of getting the donkeys that run most Hunter machines to get it anywhere near correct are slim to say the least.

I’ve had customers drive from one garage to another and get a completely different reading on two Hunter rigs.
Thats reassuring :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Update. The steering wheel is now bang straight. Not sure it was worth the bother.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Why's that then? It wasn't far out so hasn't made a night and day difference?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

nuttinnew wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:30 pm Why's that then? It wasn't far out so hasn't made a night and day difference?
Basically yes. I don't think for the changes made it was worth the money. It needed doing tho to be right.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Tracking was probably fine, it had just been done by someone lazy who only adjusted one side to the wheel didn’t sit straight.
Cheers, Harry
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

They did tweak slightly other stuff the print out shows the maximum available scope they can move things. The rear right was maxed camber and tow suggesting it needs something replacing, however not that far away from the other side by like .08 and .09 respectively.

My advice, get a free check first and decide if spending 80 quids on it is going to be a good move.
Last edited by Broccers on Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

At least some reassurance you won't (shouldn't) scrub out the front tyres in a few miles. I'd like to be able to diy it.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

nuttinnew wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:51 pm At least some reassurance you won't (shouldn't) scrub out the front tyres in a few miles. I'd like to be able to diy it.
Thats true. I don't know what a perfectly set up 987 should feel like. Id say mine was ok before and after a track day. Understeer is down to you not braking hard enough before turning in and getting on the power.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Had a go in a late 981 Cayman S PDK

Felt ballistic
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Accepted an offer on the Boxster. He needs to wait to clear some space in his garage, so I have a month before it goes.

The only outstanding thing is an MOT on Tuesday, which I can’t imagine being any trouble but you never know…

A quick hack along the B1046 to Toft reminded me how much I would miss it, then the drone along the M25 reminded me how much I wouldn’t. On to the next thing!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:22 am Accepted an offer on the Boxster. He needs to wait to clear some space in his garage, so I have a month before it goes.

The only outstanding thing is an MOT on Tuesday, which I can’t imagine being any trouble but you never know…

A quick hack along the B1046 to Toft reminded me how much I would miss it, then the drone along the M25 reminded me how much I wouldn’t. On to the next thing!
did you take a deposit and/or do you know the buyer? Otherwise, sounds like the beginning of a "sorry changed my mind" story!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Nathan wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:52 pm Had a go in a late 981 Cayman S PDK

Felt ballistic
How many bhps? They really need 400 like this 987 https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing ... 0GnsT_nU1s
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:27 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:22 am Accepted an offer on the Boxster. He needs to wait to clear some space in his garage, so I have a month before it goes.

did you take a deposit and/or do you know the buyer? Otherwise, sounds like the beginning of a "sorry changed my mind" story!
Agree. 500 quid now or keep looking for a buyer.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Know the buyer very well; very close colleague and likely to be so for many more years. And he gave me a deposit in order that his wife can’t get him to back out!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:41 am

Know the buyer very well; very close colleague and likely to be so for many more years. And he gave me a deposit in order that his wife can’t get him to back out!
Excellent!
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Rich B wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:52 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:41 am
Rich B wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:27 am did you take a deposit and/or do you know the buyer? Otherwise, sounds like the beginning of a "sorry changed my mind" story!
Excellent!
Me enticing the cath lab staff to tell him “you can’t be a cardiologist without a Porsche” probably helped :lol: