The "anything & everything" about Porsche Boxsters thread

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: The "anything & everything" about Porsche Boxsters thread

Post by Ascender »

Broccers wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:19 am
Ascender wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:24 am I think that's where I am with mine now - apart from the exhaust in the Spring, there's nothing needing done to it.

Oh, apart from working out when the service is due.
I did think about that when Rich mentioned it. Two rear tyres and exhaust and we are upto 900 already. :lol:

Other than those items I am hoping nothing else will require fixing.
:lol:

I did have similar thoughts while typing that reply out...
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

One thing I wont be doing it this GT conversion

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 125706554/
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

I've a puncture on a rear tyre which is good as it happened before I replaced them. Ordered 2 new ones which to be fair should improve the lack of grip at the mo. Even so managed to get out between the rain today. Freezing but fun.

Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Broccers wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:32 pm I've a puncture on a rear tyre which is good as it happened before I replaced them. Ordered 2 new ones which to be fair should improve the lack of grip at the mo. Even so managed to get out between the rain today. Freezing but fun.

Looks familiar... somewhere near Halifax?

What tyres are you going for, out of interest?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Explosive Newt wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:55 pm
Broccers wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:32 pm I've a puncture on a rear tyre which is good as it happened before I replaced them. Ordered 2 new ones which to be fair should improve the lack of grip at the mo. Even so managed to get out between the rain today. Freezing but fun.

Looks familiar... somewhere near Halifax?

What tyres are you going for, out of interest?
It's the top of Ringinglow Road Sheffield / Derbyshire. People may remember Prince Naseem incident years ago? Was at the bottom of that road. https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/may/03/boxing.sport

Tyres MPS4s, going on this am. Blackcircles warn they aren't porsche spec and may invalidate warranty.... if that applies to anyone. Will report back on how I can now go forwards in rain :lol:

Painless apart from the £s

PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

With the non-Porsche spec tyres it might be worth having a word with your insurers to clarify any potential issues.
mik

Post by mik »

The whole Porsche N-rating thing does my head in.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

PaulJ wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:50 pm With the non-Porsche spec tyres it might be worth having a word with your insurers to clarify any potential issues.
I can understand this if they weren't correctly speed rated. The Pilot super sports they replaced are, as you know, no longer made altho you can buy them. I'm unsure on the insurance being an issue - its not as if they are 90 quid budget tyres. I may mention it come renewal.

They are certainly a step up from worn pair of pss. After a few miles to bed them in I am pretty impressed.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Do they have Porsche air in them too?
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:18 pm Do they have Porsche air in them too?
No, helium to save on mpgs - do I need to inform someone :lol: :lol: :lol:
mik

Post by mik »

Helium? You’re having a laugh.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

mik wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:31 pm Helium? You’re having a laugh.
:lol: :lol:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

mik wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:31 pm Helium? You’re having a laugh.
:lol:

So I've had a proper blast on motorways, back roads, roundabouts and can agree with all the reports about these tyres being superb. Fellow Boxster owners buy some even if you aren't really close to needing them. The car is actually usable where this time last year it was frightening. :o :shock: :D
mik

Post by mik »

Yeah I should really put some on the back of mine. MPSS are horrible below 5DegC. MPS4S recently put on the front have loads of grip.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

PaulJ wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:50 pm With the non-Porsche spec tyres it might be worth having a word with your insurers to clarify any potential issues.
There are none - not this crap again.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

mik wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:53 am Yeah I should really put some on the back of mine. MPSS are horrible below 5DegC. MPS4S recently put on the front have loads of grip.
You should Mik, like you say the mpss aren't very good in wet and cold - much like 70 percent of the year in Scotland :lol:
GG.

Post by GG. »

Jobbo wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:01 am
There are none - not this crap again.
And the problem with ringing an insurers general enquiries line is that you're almost certain to get through to someone in a call centre that has no idea and erroneously tells you it is an issue...
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

mik wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:06 pm The whole Porsche N-rating thing does my head in.
This.

I got the spiel from the OPC when I had them check the car over. I just pleaded dumb and nodded along accordingly.

I thought this myth about insurance being invalidated was debunked 20+ years ago wasn't it?
Cheers,

Mike.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Ascender wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:52 am I thought this myth about insurance being invalidated was debunked 20+ years ago wasn't it?
Apparently not !!

I'll add my usual ha'pennth to the N-spec conversation. When I bought my 996 it had a mismatched set of old tyres on so I put a fresh set of Falkens on there, based on having been happy with Falkens on previous BMWs. But the rears always felt very "floaty". Increasing the pressures helped but then they just wore really quickly in the middle. They did get gradually better as they wore down.

Those were replaced with "correct" N-rated Continentals and all that floatiness disappeared.

The next set of tyres were for track use and I settled on Federal RS-R because I could pick sizes with substantially different load ratings front-rear. They work great.

My conclusion is that, for a 911 at least, you need to think about what you're putting on because they're very different to other cars, or if you don't want to do all that difficult brain hurty stuff, go for N-rated tyres because Porsche probably understand 911s better than you do :)

Boxsters; probably less critical.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

The N-rated tyres which fit a 996 will be a 20yr old design now, so you rule out putting more up to date tyres on your car if you rigidly stick to the OE N-rated ones.

Loads of manufacturers have specific versions of tyres; if they're no more expensive I'll go for the right ones but generally until they're on the car you can't tell what they'll be like anyway.