The "anything & everything" about Porsche Boxsters thread

Nathan

Re: Used Boxsters - Talk to me....

Post by Nathan »

Ascender wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:59 pm Unfortunately I still can’t get my roof down nor get the tyres changed so its been a frustrating month...

What I will say about the 986 v 987 is that while i was sceptical, the advice on here was spot-on - the cabin is much less claustrophobic and well put together than the 986 one. That said, i was close to getting a 986, so what do I know. I like both of them, but haven’t regretted getting the 987 one little bit and I’m back to enjoying every single drive and making excuses to get out in the car more.
Have you scanned for Porsche specific codes yet ?

Tapped around microswitch locations whilst holding down the button ?
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Nathan wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:09 pm
Ascender wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:59 pm Unfortunately I still can’t get my roof down nor get the tyres changed so its been a frustrating month...

What I will say about the 986 v 987 is that while i was sceptical, the advice on here was spot-on - the cabin is much less claustrophobic and well put together than the 986 one. That said, i was close to getting a 986, so what do I know. I like both of them, but haven’t regretted getting the 987 one little bit and I’m back to enjoying every single drive and making excuses to get out in the car more.
Have you scanned for Porsche specific codes yet ?

Tapped around microswitch locations whilst holding down the button ?
Just waiting for the replacement microswitch to come out but have tested the fuses, had the microswitch out, cleaned it, prodded connectors etc. I’m pretty sure its the microswitch as there’s no message on the dash and the windows don’t drop when I unlatch it.

Microswitch arrived with the dealer on Monday and still isn’t here...

They have offered to pay for the price of a garage cracking the wheel nuts, but that seems like a whole lot of hassle given I know they’ve ordered the key from Porsche.
Cheers,

Mike.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Ok, but how do you know its that specific switch or even the body control unit for that matter ?

Might be worth getting a non generic OBD cable or similar to run a check so you can target the fault
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Nathan wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:27 pm Ok, but how do you know its that specific switch or even the body control unit for that matter ?

Might be worth getting a non generic OBD cable or similar to run a check so you can target the fault
I don’t, but that’s what the dealer is sending me for starters.

What’s the deal with diagnostic tools these days, is there an affordable setup you can buy to get in and view the error codes?
Cheers,

Mike.
Beany

Post by Beany »

Ascender wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:36 pm
Nathan wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:27 pm Ok, but how do you know its that specific switch or even the body control unit for that matter ?

I don’t, but that’s what the dealer is sending me for starters.

What’s the deal with diagnostic tools these days, is there an affordable setup you can buy to get in and view the error codes?
paging [mention]Sundayjumper[/mention] does your fancy pants scan tool touch Porsche ancillary stuff? I mean, you still have the 996 you could try it on, right....?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I would say Delphi DS150E clone - they used to be £28 on UK eBay but looks like they have been banned. One seller on Amazon UK wants £80 for them now
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Cheers,

Mike.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Yes
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

One important and overlooked thing you can do while you are sorting niggles is to clean the drains (that you can get to).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3512012 ... 6540016303

Seen some horror stories of frazled pcbs.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Nathan wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:59 pmYes
They seem to have six or seven different variants but I’m assuming the standard Bluetooth one with the included cable will do the trick?
Cheers,

Mike.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

' delph1 with BT' should be ok from your link, 2nd variant
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Nathan wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:17 pm ' delph1 with BT' should be ok from your link, 2nd variant
Thanks Nathan.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Broccers wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:01 pm One important and overlooked thing you can do while you are sorting niggles is to clean the drains (that you can get to).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3512012 ... 6540016303

Seen some horror stories of frazled pcbs.
Good thinking...

Have a new stereo coming at the start of the week so i think next week will be various bits of tidying-up and I’m just going to get my mechanic to try and get the locking nuts off.
Cheers,

Mike.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Beany wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:41 pm paging @Sundayjumper does your fancy pants scan tool touch Porsche ancillary stuff? I mean, you still have the 996 you could try it on, right....?
I don’t think I’ve ever tried it on the 996, it’s never needed it !

FWIW it’s exactly the one Nathan has suggested.

UPDATE. I tried it, it connects no problem, but the car seems very limited in what it will share. Mine’s an early model though, cable throttle, and I have a vague recollection they used a very basic OBD implementation. Later cars are probably better.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Sundayjumper wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:19 pm
Beany wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:41 pm paging @Sundayjumper does your fancy pants scan tool touch Porsche ancillary stuff? I mean, you still have the 996 you could try it on, right....?
I don’t think I’ve ever tried it on the 996, it’s never needed it !

FWIW it’s exactly the one Nathan has suggested.

UPDATE. I tried it, it connects no problem, but the car seems very limited in what it will share. Mine’s an early model though, cable throttle, and I have a vague recollection they used a very basic OBD implementation. Later cars are probably better.
For the price I figure it’s worth a shot and we have the 2 other cars here anyway.

Microswitch and locking wheel nut key have shipped.... new tyres booked in for Wednesday... I’d forgotten how much those wide rear tyres cost 😮
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Can I get the existing head unit out?

Can I fuck.

Porsche seem to have got some plastic locking clip mechanism to keep the head unit in. Retaining screw undone... Three of the four clips are turned to unlock, one is missing and the fucker will not move one inch.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Sorted.

Fucking Porsche.

On to the next step which seems to be like something from the crystal maze where you have to match 36 different coloured wires and connectors with minimal instructions.
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Stereo is wired-up, has power but no sound...

I think I might be done for the night!
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

So, fresh eyes on it this morning I’m assuming the culprit are the three wires labelled B+, ACC and GND which come from the box into which the fibre cables from the Bose amp come in to.

Any ideas?

I’ve found the following descriptions of the cables, so I get that they need to connect to things, but how do you go about connecting them without connectors? Is this going to be a splicing and/pr soldering job?

The yellow (memory) to B+
The Red to ACC B+
The B+, which has power at all times, connects to the yellow wire to maintain the memory, and the ACC B+, which has power when the ignition switch is in the Aux and On position, connects to the red so that the radio turns off when the ignition switch is Off.

If you do splice the red and yellow together and connect that to the B+ then you'll need to turn the radio off separately (it won't switch off with the ignition switch), and if you connected it to the ACC B+ the memory would be lost each time the ignition switch was turned off.
Last edited by Ascender on Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Mike.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Cut the red wire :lol:
How about not having a sig at all?