The "anything & everything" about Porsche Boxsters thread

Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Re: The "anything & everything" about Porsche Boxsters thread

Post by Ascender »

Car is in getting the coolant hoses and front shocks replaced.

First issue... shock mounts don't come with the bearings. The picture on the website shows them with the bearings, but of course there's a separate part which has both, so they're ordered to go straight to my mechanic.

Along with two more pipes... looks like the water and coolant return hoses on the other side do need replacing after all. But for some reason despite picking the correct pair of L&R, the order system is trying to send me the R&L which I already have.

More shoddy IT work I reckon!
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Priced up some ps4s rears and they are doing 10 percent off on Black circles so 400 quid fitted.

As we are about to be locked in it probably can wait, it is having the oil and filter change to help protect it from lack of use :lol: :lol:

Is yours slowly getting sorted Mike?
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Broccers wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:29 pm Priced up some ps4s rears and they are doing 10 percent off on Black circles so 400 quid fitted.

As we are about to be locked in it probably can wait, it is having the oil and filter change to help protect it from lack of use :lol: :lol:

Is yours slowly getting sorted Mike?
Yip, just waiting for the call to go pick it up which will hopefully be today. Getting very itchy feet having not driven it for nearly a week...

There's also a tiny crack on the "B" of the boot logo which I really should replace as its one of those OCD things I can't help but notice every time now.
Cheers,

Mike.
mik

Post by mik »

Ascender wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:25 am There's also a tiny crack on the "B" of the boot logo which I really should replace as its one of those OCD things I can't help but notice every time now.
Not long after I got it, I caught the edge of the “S” badge on the backside of the ‘vora with the wash mit. Bent The lower part outwards. It pushed back in, but sat about 2mm off the body. It was all I could see when I looked at the rear of the car, so it had to be replaced!
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Similar problems with my S, seems to lift and get the 5 quid car wash rags trapped under. Silver is good for hiding their swirly paint damage.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Just back from getting the car back, its amazing the difference in the handling, steering and cornering feel, the front end is incredibly planted now. Amazing what happens when you replace two f*cked front shocks which were also missing their bump stops.

The water & coolant hoses have been replaced now too - as expected, the aluminium ones just disintegrated when he started to work on them. I didn't realise you need to lower the subframe to get them all done.

That's everything sorted that was flagged-up by Porsche, so just the annoying badge to replace and I've got a couple of LED bulbs to put in as the stock sidelights seem really weak.
Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Yes the sidelights are yellow as are most of the interior bulbs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-LUGG ... ear%3A2006

So you can see in the boots :)
GG.

Post by GG. »

Ascender wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:23 am Just back from getting the car back, its amazing the difference in the handling, steering and cornering feel, the front end is incredibly planted now. Amazing what happens when you replace two f*cked front shocks which were also missing their bump stops.

The water & coolant hoses have been replaced now too - as expected, the aluminium ones just disintegrated when he started to work on them. I didn't realise you need to lower the subframe to get them all done.

That's everything sorted that was flagged-up by Porsche, so just the annoying badge to replace and I've got a couple of LED bulbs to put in as the stock sidelights seem really weak.
Sounds like a good result.

I realised I never reported back on mine - turns out replacing a shot steering rack and the disintegrating tie rod ends does wonders for the steering :lol:

There is now not 1mm of slack in the dead ahead. One of those things that you don't realise how broken it is until it gets fixed.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Broccers wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:46 am Yes the sidelights are yellow as are most of the interior bulbs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-LUGG ... ear%3A2006

So you can see in the boots :)
Thanks for that, I'll do that now as well!
Cheers,

Mike.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

GG. wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:59 am
Ascender wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:23 am Just back from getting the car back, its amazing the difference in the handling, steering and cornering feel, the front end is incredibly planted now. Amazing what happens when you replace two f*cked front shocks which were also missing their bump stops.

Sounds like a good result.

I realised I never reported back on mine - turns out replacing a shot steering rack and the disintegrating tie rod ends does wonders for the steering :lol:

There is now not 1mm of slack in the dead ahead. One of those things that you don't realise how broken it is until it gets fixed.
:lol:

Yeah, that's kind of how I felt this morning, getting these things done has totally transformed the handling and the judder/something-not-quite-right on turn-in has gone.
Cheers,

Mike.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

This thread has made me realise how incredibly lucky I have been with my Boxster. It's barely put a foot wrong in 14,000 miles!
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

Nice one all around chaps!

And [mention]GG.[/mention] :lol: :mrgreen:
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:23 am This thread has made me realise how incredibly lucky I have been with my Boxster. It's barely put a foot wrong in 14,000 miles!
Thats it your wheels will fall off next time you drive it - never tempt fate
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Explosive Newt wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:23 am This thread has made me realise how incredibly lucky I have been with my Boxster. It's barely put a foot wrong in 14,000 miles!
Oh you've jinxed it now! :twisted:

To be fair, that's all the things done which were identified by the OPC and indie I bought it from, so going forward I plan to do these things when they need done rather than leaving them which is what seems to have happened to date.
Cheers,

Mike.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Ha! I am not driving it so much now I have the Jag for motorway runs to be honest. Need some Porsche weather! It got a full bill of health when Northway serviced it in June although I suppose it would be interesting to consider the little improvements that could be done.

Come to think of it, the flimsy little plastic thing that folds the nearside wing mirror in is broken, so there is that.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Cars dont break that much when you don't use them ..... its when you do that bits wear out.

As I type the account I put the difference in for running the boxster v leasing a golf is +1500 so far. 8-)
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Broccers wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:25 pm Cars dont break that much when you don't use them ..... its when you do that bits wear out.
Can easily be the other way round too. Sure, the consumable items will wear out with use, but a lot of the expensive stuff seems to prefer regular use.
Ascender

Post by Ascender »

Sidelights done. Will look at the interior bulbs next, just need to swap the climate control buttons out before I forget.

Before....

After....

Cheers,

Mike.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:46 pm
Broccers wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:25 pm Cars dont break that much when you don't use them ..... its when you do that bits wear out.
Can easily be the other way round too. Sure, the consumable items will wear out with use, but a lot of the expensive stuff seems to prefer regular use.
Agreed.

Mike your pics are Barry'd on my phone at least
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Rich B wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:46 pm
In which case I fully endorse a twice-weekly 4 hour motorway round trip to keep your Boxster in top condition.