Talk me out of buying a car

Explosive Newt

Talk me out of buying a car

Post by Explosive Newt »

The Boxster is great and all but using it as a sole car has its drawbacks - most of what I do are long trips (to work in Cambridge generally) and it would be nicer to have something that was quieter and cruise-ier. I'm also disquieted with how much mileage I am putting on the thing (the previous owner was doing about 3k miles a year, I have done 13k!).

Long story short I am doing a very good job of convincing myself that buying a cruiser type car is the way forward. My soft spot for Jags has led me towards some long-in-miles but mechanically sound 2009 XFs in the £4-5k range.

Other suggestions are welcome though. I did look at Passats, Superbs etc but didn't think they did the big comfy leather seats thing quite so well.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Re: Talk me out of buying a car

Post by Rich B »

Is a boxster particularly noisy then?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Avoid 2.7 XFs

3.0 facelifts aren't that strong neither now
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

Not sure if it has the comfort seats, but surely you can't get any comfier than these anyway?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... obcid=soc3
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

holy shit :shock:
M235i
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

KevH18 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:25 pm Not sure if it has the comfort seats, but surely you can't get any comfier than these anyway?

This one hasn't been chavved up though. Higher mileage, but not really for age, and I think SJ's is similar and holding up well.

integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Will a barge really be that more comfortable?

I bet you’ll be trading a lot of fun for a slight increase in comfort and usability.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:33 pm Will a barge really be that more comfortable?

I bet you’ll be trading a lot of fun for a slight increase in comfort and usability.
indeed. If you need more seats/space then yeah, it makes sense. but otherwise, you’ll be lugging around 1.9tonnes of car that will probably be no cheaper to run and not much fun, just so you can have a little more cushion under your arse.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

integrale_evo wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:33 pmI bet you’ll be trading a lot of fun for a slight increase in comfort and usability.
Depends on the journey. In my last job I was doing 55 motorway miles each way. I took the Aston in once and decided it was pointless. It was marginally more fun - maybe - but less comfy, less visibilty, didn't have all the toys, and used twice as much fuel.

I was going to suggest a 7, but mine's an F01 and I don't think you'll get one for £5k, despite anything Foz says 😂 FWIW mine's on 125k miles and going strong. BMW make excellent engines.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

How about not having a sig at all?
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:51 pm
integrale_evo wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:33 pmI bet you’ll be trading a lot of fun for a slight increase in comfort and usability.
Depends on the journey. In my last job I was doing 55 motorway miles each way. I took the Aston in once and decided it was pointless. It was marginally more fun - maybe - but less comfy, less visibilty, didn't have all the toys, and used twice as much fuel.

I was going to suggest a 7, but mine's an F01 and I don't think you'll get one for £5k, despite anything Foz says 😂 FWIW mine's on 125k miles and going strong. BMW make excellent engines.
But you still kept the fun car for times when you can have fun rather than replace it with something dull.
Cheers, Harry
Rich B

Post by Rich B »

Picking up on SJs experience, is this an XF in place of the boxster or in addition to the boxster?
Delphi
Currently Driving: Porsche 928 S4, Porsche 987 Boxster 2.7, Volvo XC40

Post by Delphi »

No one makes comfier seats than the Swedes. A Saab 9-5 or a Volvo will fit the bill of comfy cruiser nicely.
If you get all wobbly-lipped about the opinion of Internet strangers, maybe it's time to take a bath with the toaster as you'll never amount to sh1t anyway.
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:55 pm Picking up on SJs experience, is this an XF in place of the boxster or in addition to the boxster?
True, this wasn't clear in the original post.
Foz

Post by Foz »

Sundayjumper wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:51 pm

:lol:
Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper »

Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:59 am Long story short I am doing a very good job of convincing myself that buying a cruiser type car is the way forward.
If this is in addition to the Boxster, then definitely yes. Correct tool for the job etc.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

Assuming that you realise that you won’t be saving money,
Then an XF is a great idea.
Will the budget stretch to a V8? They’ll be a higher spec, lower miles and have less to go wrong.
I used to get 24mpg out of my 4.2 demo and high 30s out of a 2.7d, so about £550 difference over 10,000 miles.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:55 pm Picking up on SJs experience, is this an XF in place of the boxster or in addition to the boxster?
In addition. Sorry I didn't make that clear from the get go.

I think the other option in similar circumstances is to buy an old Golf/Focus as a second car but my worry about doing that is that I just won't drive the second car at all.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:51 pm Evonomics
https://www.pistonheads.com/classified ... aguar%2Fxk
This would be the option if I were to sell up and replace with just the one car...
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Rich B wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:09 pm Is a boxster particularly noisy then?
I should get a Harry M phone app and check the decibels. You get a combination of engine blare (70mph in 6th is 3000rpm), tyre noise and wind buffeting the cloth roof.

It's fine but it just gets wearing after a while.