Talk me out of buying a car

Explosive Newt

Re: Talk me out of buying a car

Post by Explosive Newt »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:33 am
Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:45 pmGod I’d love an old XJ. It just seems so unfathomably massive... I am feeling the XF is a bit on the big side already!
That XJ does look quite nice.

Unless you’re parking on the street a lot (i.e. parallel parking in tight spots) then the length doesn’t really matter. If anything it helps with the waftiness.

I think we’ve solved your conundrum 8-)
Parallel parking and slotting into the multi storey at work will be requirements! Hence the sensors & cameras on the XF seem a decent call.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifie ... 6280618529
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I would budget for a full fluid and filter change, especially the auto box, but that looks ideal.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Explosive Newt wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:42 am

I had an X-type 3 L and I never found it especially punchy low down, although it was hamstrung to some extent by the old fashioned slush box auto with long gearing.
Different engine
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:56 am I would budget for a full fluid and filter change, especially the auto box, but that looks ideal.
Does have the benefit of being 2 miles away from my house too :lol:
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Explosive Newt wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:55 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:56 am I would budget for a full fluid and filter change, especially the auto box, but that looks ideal.
Does have the benefit of being 2 miles away from my house too :lol:
Go have a look round it on the quiet first ;)
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Orange Cola wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:03 pm
Explosive Newt wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:45 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:03 pm Go anywhere practical wagon for the commute, 2.5 days of snow we get a year and anything else you need space for

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 2287814181

Squishy sofa drug dealer land

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 3088151533
God I’d love an old XJ. It just seems so unfathomably massive... I am feeling the XF is a bit on the big side already!
They’re absolutely fine, not massive by any means, XJ LWB’s are like parking the QE2 though :lol:
Indeed. We had an X308 and my missus used it as her daily with no probs (other than gearbox shitting it's biscuits). See below next to our Yeti.

They are lovely things!

Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Wow, it’s amazing how much cars have grown! I remember passengering in the back of one of those, lovely cars.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:24 pm Wow, it’s amazing how much cars have grown! I remember passengering in the back of one of those, lovely cars.
Really miss the Yeti. That's was a great family car.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

McSwede wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:53 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:24 pm Wow, it’s amazing how much cars have grown! I remember passengering in the back of one of those, lovely cars.
They were used on some of the Scottish rallies I was part of, they were the officials cars as a sponsorship from Skoda (or a local Skoda dealer) and being AWD with all of the officials having had some level of competitive rallying experience they got loaded up with kit and hammered round the forest stages and everyone we spoke to pulled up a massive grin on their face. None of them broke, plenty of flat tyres but they carried their own full sized replacements in the boot. I’ve always thought they were a great car since then, such a shame they don’t make them any more.
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:04 pm
McSwede wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:53 pm
They were used on some of the Scottish rallies I was part of, they were the officials cars as a sponsorship from Skoda (or a local Skoda dealer) and being AWD with all of the officials having had some level of competitive rallying experience they got loaded up with kit and hammered round the forest stages and everyone we spoke to pulled up a massive grin on their face. None of them broke, plenty of flat tyres but they carried their own full sized replacements in the boot. I’ve always thought they were a great car since then, such a shame they don’t make them any more.
Yeti and rallying in the same post? Cue gratuitous Skoda pic incoming in 3...2...
Skoda family copy.jpg
Skoda family copy.jpg (321.91 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
Smashing family car still, after nearly 6 years in our ownership ( :shock:)
Left over crest; tightens.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Broccers wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:26 am
Jobbo wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:28 pm Merc CLS is an excellent cruiser.
Yes CLS grand editions look quite interesting.
Grand Edition has nice alloys and the Brabus box taking it to 272bhp from the factory (or at least, from sale). Still didn’t come quite fully loaded so look for one with memory seats if you’re buying; you can tell in photos because the memory seats come with the door mounted adjusters.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Humour me, what makes the Yeti a better family car than an Octavia say? Ta
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

speedingfine wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:03 am Humour me, what makes the Yeti a better family car than an Octavia say? Ta
Hmm.
- higher up so easier to get the kids in the seats
- short doors so easy (easier) to get the kids in the seats - you can open them wider in a car park
- fairly short and tight turning circle so easy to park and manoeuvre, with distracting kids in the back
- the rear seats come out completely so you can load it up to the roof to take stuff to the tip (ok, an estate Octavia is probably as big)
Left over crest; tightens.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

JonMad wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:28 am
speedingfine wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:03 am Humour me, what makes the Yeti a better family car than an Octavia say? Ta
Hmm.
- short doors so easy (easier) to get the kids in the seats - you can open them wider in a car park
- fairly short and tight turning circle so easy to park and manoeuvre, with distracting kids in the back
- the rear seats come out completely so you can load it up to the roof to take stuff to the tip (ok, an estate Octavia is probably as big)
Everything he said plus they drive really well. They are brilliant!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

The reality is with kids/family, you can manage with most normal cars - I have friends with a Nissan Micra who manage weekends away with their little one. But the more space you have the easier it gets (baby stuff is big and awkward to pack), and if you can have more space with a smaller footprint then all the better for it.

Something like a Touran would be the best practical size for a kid or two, but who wants to drive a touran?!
Simon

Post by Simon »

McSwede wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:48 am
JonMad wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:28 am
Hmm.
Everything he said plus they drive really well. They are brilliant!
We love our Yeti, and my father has an Octavia. It's simple - there is more space inside in the Yeti, especially as it's taller-yet-shorter stance makes it easier to live with and manoeuvre than the Octy. Plus my wife likes the better view the taller driving position gives her (the old 'SUV' argument).
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:58 am The reality is with kids/family, you can manage with most normal cars - I have friends with a Nissan Micra who manage weekends away with their little one. But the more space you have the easier it gets (baby stuff is big and awkward to pack), and if you can have more space with a smaller footprint then all the better for it.

Something like a Touran would be the best practical size for a kid or two, but who wants to drive a touran?!
This. All I'm reading is "because old/given up/NCG" :lol:
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifie ... 7171378446

Although I think he’s a bit optimistic on the collectibility front.
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:06 pm https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifie ... 7171378446

sounds like quite an expensive way to do dull miles.
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Explosive Newt wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:06 pm https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifie ... 7171378446

25mpg and £580 tax..