Supercar Market Update Q2 2020

SSO

Re: Supercar Market Update Q2 2020

Post by SSO »

RobYob wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:32 pm
SSO wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:46 pm
Ascender wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:22 am Really good article @SSO and your point about aging collectors and changing tastes was something I genuinely never considered. That’s a fascinating topic in its own right.

I wonder if there’s a couple of Ideas for articles there, one which looks at the “typical” classics for this current generation of owners and what cars may become the equivalent classics for the next generation?
Thanks and that would certainly be an interesting topic for an article.
Do institutional investors have much part in the collectors market?
Not really, a few have tried to make a business of it but without a lot of success.
integrale_evo

Post by integrale_evo »

It’s the same for all sorts of things, not just super cars.

Had the same discussion with the auctioneer at my grandads farm sale. Some of the older rarer stuff didn’t make as much as I thought it should, he put it down to the people who used them in the 50s/60s already having one or dying off, while some of the newer stuff made more than expected because the people who remember them in the 70s / 80s are the ones with the disposable income and the desire to buy up things they couldnt afford at the time.

Similar to the modern classics. People had them in their teens / twenties 20 odd years ago and would love another now they’re a bit more settled and can perhaps afford second / third cars.

I’d imagine similar things happen with super cars, you just have to be doing a bit better than average to be able to buy the poster cars of your youth.
Cheers, Harry
SSO

Post by SSO »

integrale_evo wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:51 pm It’s the same for all sorts of things, not just super cars.

Had the same discussion with the auctioneer at my grandads farm sale. Some of the older rarer stuff didn’t make as much as I thought it should, he put it down to the people who used them in the 50s/60s already having one or dying off, while some of the newer stuff made more than expected because the people who remember them in the 70s / 80s are the ones with the disposable income and the desire to buy up things they couldnt afford at the time.

Similar to the modern classics. People had them in their teens / twenties 20 odd years ago and would love another now they’re a bit more settled and can perhaps afford second / third cars.

I’d imagine similar things happen with super cars, you just have to be doing a bit better than average to be able to buy the poster cars of your youth.
I would tend to believe that they do.
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

SSO wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:59 am
integrale_evo wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:51 pm It’s the same for all sorts of things, not just super cars.

I would tend to believe that they do.
We were about to pass the point of 60s cars when I stopped being a car onsultant as my main job in 2012.
Cars from the 50s and earlier had already become hard to shift, even 'halo' cars like Bugatti and Alfa 8C.
There's a clear correlation in the age of buyer and era of car that is the flavour of the month.

The change in pattern now appears to be that certain older vehicles appeal to a wide age range, such as Porsche 356, and that the typical 40-60 year old buyer wants modern usability, hence the surge in modern classics and restomods.