Caterham 270s experience

Shlergen

Caterham 270s experience

Post by Shlergen »

I want to invest in a weekend toy in the foreseeable future, one at the top of the list is a Caterham. To see whether this is a good idea or not I hired one for the day, a 'boggo' spec 270s, direct from Caterham.

Being 6'1'' ish I went for the SV, unfortunately without a lowered floor. For the day it was fine but if purchasing it would be a must - knees did see steering wheel on several occasions.

Initially, I was a little bit concerned about the lack of side impact protection but it was soon forgotten as I blatted up the a272 towards Petworth. It was fast enough (5s to 60 iirc) but could see myself wanting more quickly. Lovely direct steer and pretty pliant over mixed surfaces, I managed to rack up 130 odd miles without too much fuss. With 1k excess, I kept it fairly sensible but would easily lose traction in 2nd in the wet and was very predictable.

Do I want one - yes, ideally in 360R SV spec. They had a lovely one at the dealership for 35k... but for that money, I'd rather an Exige.

In terms of the experience, I would recommend. Reasonably priced (£199 + fuel) if you don't stack it. I would do it again, maybe with the 360 R but it then becomes a lot more expensive (+100 each model up).
speedingfine

Re: Caterham 270s experience

Post by speedingfine »

How did you find getting in and out with the hood on? 😁
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

8-) Nice.

I guess it depends on your frame, 6'1 wouldn't normally stop you getting an S3. Have you tried to get in one? If you're long of leg, maybe you need the lowered floor.

I'm around the 6' mark, not a slim build, and I didn't have any issues with my S3, albeit my legs are pretty short so didn't need a lowered floor.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Chris might not agree with me, but half hood FTW! Best thing I bought for mine.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

First few times I looked a little more special than usual getting in and floor mat was also only held in by one popper, resulting in it bending up which was an arse.

The rain did let up for all of 5 minutes so the roof came off, mainly due to it becoming rather cosy in the cabin. Much better experience with it off and didn't really get wet unless stopped at lights. Did get some funny looks mind :D

I'm quite broad and found myself leaning on armrest and centre console to get comfy. S3 with lowered floors worth a try though, certainly cheaper that way.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Having a dilemma with my dad over these, I’m happy with a 300 variant but my dad says they’re too slow, you’ll get used to it and keep wishing it had more power. Then you spend a bit more and you’re rapidly into not worth it territory :? He has a point...
How about not having a sig at all?
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

I saw a link to a nice 420R the other day. But £43k. That’s Atom 4 money and I think for that amount, for a silly toy, you may as well go full silly.
Left over crest; tightens.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

But that mid 40s price also gets you into lightly used 620 territory which must be the loudest current road legal car that I’ve heard go up Goodwood.
How about not having a sig at all?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

I reckon a 360 would be a pretty sweet motor, plenty fast enough to be fun on road and occasional trackday use. You wouldn't get bored with it IMO, but I suppose it's possible. On track you might wish for more than a 310 can give though.

Be prepared to fit a rear exit exhaust to have much chance of getting on your average UK trackday in a 620 though!
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

duncs500 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:04 pm Chris might not agree with me, but half hood FTW! Best thing I bought for mine.
Yep I agree, don't trust those that wax lyrical about the half hood, they are masochists, only the full hood keeps you dry and warm :D

200bhp in a 7 is amazing if you can afford it. Lots at that level around the £20-25k mark.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

speedingfine wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:00 am
duncs500 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:04 pm Chris might not agree with me, but half hood FTW! Best thing I bought for mine.
Yep I agree, don't trust those that wax lyrical about the half hood, they are masochists, only the full hood keeps you dry and warm :D
Spoken like someone who drives their 7 in all conditions! It would have to be pretty torrential to get any rain on you in a half hood with the doors on, I got caught in a few showers and don't recall getting wet. Equally it would have to be pretty damn cold to get cold.

Maybe you tried a dodgy one... :lol:
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:32 am
Spoken like someone who drives their 7 in all conditions! It would have to be pretty torrential to get any rain on you in a half hood with the doors on, I got caught in a few showers and don't recall getting wet. Equally it would have to be pretty damn cold to get cold.

95% of conditions in summer half hood is fine. But there will be several spectacularly damp trips where you'll be doing the 5k rpm cruise of correctness back from a trackday, busting for a piss but trying to hold it til home where you'll be glad you got the full hood 😁

Winter with no heater, you want the full hood for sure!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

speedingfine wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:40 am

95% of conditions in summer half hood is fine. But there will be several spectacularly damp trips where you'll be doing the 5k rpm cruise of correctness back from a trackday, busting for a piss but trying to hold it til home where you'll be glad you got the full hood 😁

So you piss in your car when you have a full hood on?!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

How shit are Westfields in comparison ?

I've been on an autocourse in a Zetec engined one and it was terrifying
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:10 am
speedingfine wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:40 am

So you piss in your car when you have a full hood on?!
Straight bat - would you rather be damp cold and needing a piss, or warm and dry needing a piss 😆

Googly - Caterham drivers are hardcore, just not in the way you'd think.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

[mention]speedingfine[/mention] You don't have a heater? :D

I thought my heater was pretty good at keeping my legs warm at least.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

duncs500 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:43 am @speedingfine You don't have a heater? :D

Nope on either car. I've heard good things about them though 😄
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

speedingfine wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:47 am
duncs500 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:43 am @speedingfine You don't have a heater? :D

Nope on either car. I've heard good things about them though 😄
You're a sucker for punishment. I found it such a PITA to put the hood on that I think I only did it once. I had it with me when we went up to Scotland but I think the half hood served me fine and I never needed it. Looks better than the full hood too IMO, excuse for photo:

speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

Great pic, murdered out 8-)

I am definitely in the minority regarding the half hood!
mik

Post by mik »

You need to be rewarded for the level of compromise a 7even brings. Hence I’d want a 420 or 620 from the current lineup.

I’ve spent a bit of time in the p-seat of Neil’s Westie with about 230bhp and that felt good. (Admittedly the grip, and particularly the braking ability were the most impressive elements, but I’d still want the horses).