New Car (Shonky Lotus Content)

duncs500

Re: New Car (Shonky Lotus Content)

Post by duncs500 »

Sundayjumper wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:32 am My garage floor was quite old concrete and covered with all manner of stains (oo-err) but a coat of Screwfix own-label paint worked really well.
I think old is better in some ways though Steve, that crust of laitance will have gone from years of tyres picking it up and it being swept.

It's still in my mind, just not for little while.
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

A Lotus Elise or Caterham is the second car sweet spot that just makes too much sense to ignore. OC should do some man maths to make it work for him 8-)

That garage is great too Duncs! Regarding the floor, can you get someone in to shot blast the floor? Hopefully wouldn't be too expensive.
Last edited by speedingfine on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

But the other thing to consider, as Jon has just touched on, is that once you fill the garage with crap you’ll never have a clear run at it again !

And I’m well aware that I’m giving this advice from the comfort of my sofa, and not being the one who actually has to do it ;)
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

Congrats. And because my memory isn't great I can't remember if you've said about the baby before and if I congratulated you. So congrats on that one too!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Foz

Post by Foz »

How old are the tyres?

Ultra sensitive to geo and tyres obviously, if they are more than a few years old change then, they are very easy on them with the power and weight!
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

[mention]speedingfine[/mention] That would be the way, or scarifying / scrabbling. You don't really get someone out of bed for less than £1k these days though probably, although I could probably hire something for a few hundred quid. Would also need a decent vac to clear it too.

[mention]Sundayjumper[/mention] Don't worry, the garage is sacred, bought a decent sized shed and the last of the non car related stuff at the end we are storing for her sister and will be going in a few weeks. Car stuff only plus bikes.

Lots of work to do though, shed needs shelving out to help with storage, then I will turn my attention to the garage. Cash flow will be an issue for a couple of months now, the Elise was cheap but did still require a timculator and evonomics as usual.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Foz wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:57 am How old are the tyres?

Ultra sensitive to geo and tyres obviously, if they are more than a few years old change then, they are very easy on them with the power and weight!
Brand new, looked like they'd literally just been put on. 8-)
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

DeskJockey wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:49 am Congrats. And because my memory isn't great I can't remember if you've said about the baby before and if I congratulated you. So congrats on that one too!
Don't think I've mentioned it on the forum before, cheers mate, scary / crazy times! :lol:
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:59 am
DeskJockey wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:49 am Congrats. And because my memory isn't great I can't remember if you've said about the baby before and if I congratulated you. So congrats on that one too!
Don't think I've mentioned it on the forum before, cheers mate, scary / crazy times! :lol:
it gets less scary/crazy....

...Eventually!! 👍🏻
Simon

Post by Simon »

The S1 looks so timeless. Lovely little things.

I remember Lotus taking out adverts in the magazines for them when they were just £20k on the road.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

Nice one Duncs.
How about not having a sig at all?
dan

Post by dan »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:58 am

Take them off immediately and sell them for a good price then :D

Great news on the car, but the T1R's will seriously take the edge off the handling - they have very soft sidewalls and take all the steering feel out of it. It'll ride like a limo though.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

dan wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:16 am
duncs500 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:58 am

Take them off immediately and sell them for a good price then :D

Great news on the car, but the T1R's will seriously take the edge off the handling - they have very soft sidewalls and take all the steering feel out of it. It'll ride like a limo though.
They're going to have to do for a few pay days! What do you recommend to replace them?
dan

Post by dan »

AD08's are the go to for S1 road tyres.

In the meantime, put a couple of extra psi in the toyo's and it'll improve the feel - try 26 front, 28 rear.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

dan wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:42 am AD08's are the go to for S1 road tyres.

In the meantime, put a couple of extra psi in the toyo's and it'll improve the feel - try 26 front, 28 rear.
Will do, cheers.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:59 am
Just remember it isn't official until it has been announced in the correct thread! Exciting times ahead.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Barry

Post by Barry »

Nicely done Duncs, I've been pondering Boxsters for years, but seeing that makes me wonder about S1s too.

On the garage floor front, I have recycled plastic tiles in mine and dust isn't a big issue at all. Quicker and far less hassle than painting too, can be laid in an afternoon.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

Awesome 8-) I assume this is a 120, yeah?

I'd be interested to see how you get on with it in terms of power, especially given you having the Exige previously.

I can heartily recommend doing a chassis refresh though if you get a chance, it completely overhauled mine - all the squeaks, clonks and rattles were gone. Probably would stick to the standard Bilsteins though (or the S2 ones at least)....I wasn't overly keen on the NSS.
mik

Post by mik »

Wait. What? :shock: Wahey! 8-)

Fantastic choice Duncs, and I really like the colour.
it's had the desirable S2 suspension upgrade
Cover! Everyone take cover! :?
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Matty wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:23 am Awesome 8-) I assume this is a 120, yeah?

I'd be interested to see how you get on with it in terms of power, especially given you having the Exige previously.
Yep 118 fierce and wild horses! :lol:

Yeah, we'll see. At the moment I'm just happy to have something to pootle around in.