Broccers

Re: New Car (Shonky Lotus Content)

Post by Broccers »

Lovely 8-)
scotta

Post by scotta »

FWENDS :D :D 8-) 8-)

How much of your money would you like me to spend for you?

I’ll echo Dan on his tyre advice. Although you can’t now buy AD08R they have been replaced with AD08RS with a more “eco friendly” compound. Reviews are not favourable. Next time I’ll be going either Toyo R888 or Avon ZZR

Geo is the first thing I’d do. I went for a half way between the 340R road and track settings.
Second thing I’d do is check what radiator you have. If it has the plastic end tanks then budget for it cracking. Mines did and I replaced it with a pro alloy one.

Brake pads - Get a set of CL RC5+ and it will transform the brakes. Fluid change is easily done. Doesn’t even need the wheels removed.

Headlights - yeah your basically fvcked there. They don’t make them anymore and stocks are limited. If you do find a set expect to pay £300-400. There’s a few LED upgrade options and eliseparts do a similar setup to replace the originals but They are not exact replacements.
Last edited by scotta on Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scotta

Post by scotta »

Matty wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:23 am Awesome 8-) I assume this is a 120, yeah?

I'd be interested to see how you get on with it in terms of power, especially given you having the Exige previously.

I can heartily recommend doing a chassis refresh though if you get a chance, it completely overhauled mine - all the squeaks, clonks and rattles were gone. Probably would stick to the standard Bilsteins though (or the S2 ones at least)....I wasn't overly keen on the NSS.
I think my NSS are great!
PaulJ
Currently Driving: Cayman GTS 4.0

Post by PaulJ »

Simon wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:07 am The S1 looks so timeless. Lovely little things.

I remember Lotus taking out adverts in the magazines for them when they were just £20k on the road.
Congratulations Duncs on your wise purchase and baby to be.

As far as an original price of sub £20k you are right that they advertised that. I had my deposit down for 10 months before they arrived in the local dealers (Peter Smith sports cars - long gone). He told me that there were a small number of 'compulsory options' :D which took the price over the mythical £20k mark, and mine was on the road eventually for just under £25k in 1997. Happy days.

Enjoy yours.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Looks great Duncs, great colour too. Are you getting headlamp covers ?
PaulJ wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:16 pm small number of 'compulsory options' :D which took the price over the mythical £20k mark, and mine was on the road eventually for just under £25k in 1997. Happy days.

Enjoy yours.
Interesting, with inflation that is about the same cost of as a new Alpine.
Matty
Currently Driving: Up! GTi, Alfa 4C

Post by Matty »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:30 am Yeah, we'll see. At the moment I'm just happy to have something to pootle around in.
I'll give you two weeks before that changes :lol:
scotta wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:50 am I think my NSS are great!
TBH for track work, I don't doubt they're better - TBH when Dan set mine up he did advise that I tweak the damping rate until I've got something I'm happy with...but I'm a lazy SOB and didn't bother, so some of that might be on me.

But if you're primarily road based it seems to be agreed the standard Bilstein's are hard to beat.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Awesome purchase!

My friend had a few Elises and I just loved everything about them - the looks, the smell, how they cornered, the sound. I don’t know much about them but I’m guessing given the reasonably low-tech approach they’re a good used buy if they’ve been looked after? Even the cabin doesn’t have much in it to wear down over time.
Cheers,

Mike.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

scotta wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:48 am FWENDS :D :D 8-) 8-)

I’ll echo Dan on his tyre advice. Although you can’t now buy AD08R they have been replaced with AD08RS with a more “eco friendly” compound. Reviews are not favourable. Next time I’ll be going either Toyo R888 or

Geo is the first thing I’d do. I went for a half way between the 340R road and track settings.
Second thing I’d do is check what radiator you have. If it has the plastic end tanks then budget for it cracking. Mines did and I replaced it with a pro alloy one.

Brake pads - Get a set of CL RC5+ and it will transform the brakes. Fluid change is easily done. Doesn’t even need the wheels removed.

Headlights - yeah your basically fvcked there. They don’t make them anymore and stocks are limited. If you do find a set expect to pay £300-400. There’s a few LED upgrade options and eliseparts do a similar setup to replace the originals but They are not exact replacements.
Don't worry, I started reading up about shiny bits on SELOC long before I got it!

New rad was among the recent big bills, so that should be good for a while.

:shock: Didn't know the headlights were that pricey! Breaks will need looking at soon enough, I haven't really looked at what it's running at the moment yet but they could be better.

Seats are pretty shabby, and I don't find them as comfortable as my last two cars, so something to think about too when I've got some cash.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

Ascender wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:36 pm Awesome purchase!

My friend had a few Elises and I just loved everything about them - the looks, the smell, how they cornered, the sound. I don’t know much about them but I’m guessing given the reasonably low-tech approach they’re a good used buy if they’ve been looked after? Even the cabin doesn’t have much in it to wear down over time.
I think they're a bit variable like anything, but more often than not owners look after them I suspect. As you say, fairly basic things.
scotta

Post by scotta »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:40 pm
scotta wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:48 am FWENDS :D :D 8-) 8-)

I’ll echo Dan on his tyre advice. Although you can’t now buy AD08R they have been replaced with AD08RS with a more “eco friendly” compound. Reviews are not favourable. Next time I’ll be going either Toyo R888 or

Don't worry, I started reading up about shiny bits on SELOC long before I got it!

New rad was among the recent big bills, so that should be good for a while.

:shock: Didn't know the headlights were that pricey! Breaks will need looking at soon enough, I haven't really looked at what it's running at the moment yet but they could be better.

Seats are pretty shabby, and I don't find them as comfortable as my last two cars, so something to think about too when I've got some cash.
Good news on the rad.

Seats wise - I cut up a yoga/Exercise matt that was made of memory foam and added it under the main arse pads and stuck down with some spray glue. Made a big difference. Cheap and easy job.

Oh and dont smash an indicator as you cant get them now either. Im considering some PPF heat shrink on them as the last used ones i saw were going for £75. Eliseparts used to sell these for £15.

ETA - Original reply was missing Avon ZZR.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

scotta wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:54 pm
Do they do ZZS in the right size?
scotta

Post by scotta »

duncs500 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:30 pm
Yep - 195/50/15 & 225/45/16
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

Yes Duncs! Welcome back to the fold. Looks like a cracker.

8-)
mik

Post by mik »

Maurice wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:33 pm Looks like a cracker.
Hmmm - maybe a little bit. :?

duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

mik wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:50 pm
Maurice wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:33 pm Looks like a cracker.
Hmmm - maybe a little bit. :?

:lol:
Sundayjumper
Currently Driving: Peugeot 406

Post by Sundayjumper »

Is it silver, or slightly bronze ? I can't quite tell.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

scotta wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:50 pm
duncs500 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:30 pm
Yep - 195/50/15 & 225/45/16
Hmmm, might be a good option for me as it's not likely to see much STW. Had them on the Caterham and they seemed good.

[mention]Sundayjumper[/mention] Silver, think it's called Titanium Silver.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Lovely, really excellent choice. I’ve considered an Elise so many times, so I’ll be interested to follow your times with it.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Great choice. The colour is fantastic!!
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Excellent, I've got a days hire of a Caterham on Tuesday, been flitting about a few cars.

Which do you prefer so far, Elise's seem to sell tres quickly vs Caterham. Did you put yourself on a waiting list?