Made it to the nurburgring

Orange Cola

Re: Made it to the nurburgring

Post by Orange Cola »

mik wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:17 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:13 pm
McSwede wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:45 pm

Bloody hell. So Porsche didn't stump up for anything then. Wow!
What happened? :?
See ere
Holy crap :o
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Have you/they done anything to improve the issue? Have Porsche done any kind of update?

Such an appealing car otherwise!
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

If the alloy was smacked to bits, the strut broken, arm broken etc and the turret looked like that then that’s fine, it’s a massive hit.

If the rest appears relatively un-harmed then that’s a pretty crap bit of engineering. The shell should be the last pet to fail.

Dave!
revsRus
Currently Driving: Mclaren 600LT
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

Rich B wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:29 pm Have you/they done anything to improve the issue? Have Porsche done any kind of update?

I bought some plates that bolt onto the top of the strut tower which i imagine are a big help. I’ve been liberally bashing it* through the carousel since with no further issue.

*the car not the proverbial bishop - that’s another story
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

revsRus wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:55 pm
Rich B wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:29 pm Have you/they done anything to improve the issue? Have Porsche done any kind of update?

I bought some plates that bolt onto the top of the strut tower which i imagine are a big help. I’ve been liberally bashing it* through the carousel since with no further issue.

I take it this isn’t a keeper then. I cannot believe Porsche designed that and let it go, someone there absolutely knew it was on the edge when they designed it. The standards we design towers to (also aluminium) is phenomenal, they can take quite a hammering.
revsRus
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

Orange Cola wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:04 pm

I take it this isn’t a keeper then. I cannot believe Porsche designed that and let it go, someone there absolutely knew it was on the edge when they designed it. The standards we design towers to (also aluminium) is phenomenal, they can take quite a hammering.
I see it as a keeper, I’ve had it repaired and mitigated the risk of the towers breaking again with the bracing plates, it does everything I imagined it would when I stretched myself financially to buy it and there’s no other car in my budget that can do the track work reliably whilst remaining a stimulating road car due to that to-die-for manual shift mechanism.

Yes the strut towers are potentially shite and I got unlucky but for my needs the package is close to peerless
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

revsRus wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:15 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:04 pm

I see it as a keeper, I’ve had it repaired and mitigated the risk of the towers breaking again with the bracing plates, it does everything I imagined it would when I stretched myself financially to buy it and there’s no other car in my budget that can do the track work reliably whilst remaining a stimulating road car due to that to-die-for manual shift mechanism.

Yes the strut towers are potentially shite and I got unlucky but for my needs the package is close to peerless
Well I salute you for it. I hope you have lots of pain free trouble from here on in 8-)
revsRus
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

Got 4 laps of tuition today and goodness me it was helpful. I can now see where I can improve, I know where to brake, where to turn in, where not to lift, amazing progress. In fact I went straight out after and set a new PB, 7:54 and I’m confident there’s a good bit more to come over saturday and sunday (track closed tomorrow). The nurburgring really is the best place in the world.
RobYob

Post by RobYob »

Kudos (and a huge amount of envy!) Great achievement.

I'm sorely tempted to try and get over for the rescheduled 24hr in September.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

revsRus wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:44 pm Got 4 laps of tuition today and goodness me it was helpful. I can now see where I can improve, I know where to brake, where to turn in, where not to lift, amazing progress. In fact I went straight out after and set a new PB, 7:54 and I’m confident there’s a good bit more to come over saturday and sunday (track closed tomorrow). The nurburgring really is the best place in the world.
Excellent, where you staying?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
revsRus
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

unzippy wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:01 am
revsRus wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:44 pm Got 4 laps of tuition today and goodness me it was helpful. I can now see where I can improve, I know where to brake, where to turn in, where not to lift, amazing progress. In fact I went straight out after and set a new PB, 7:54 and I’m confident there’s a good bit more to come over saturday and sunday (track closed tomorrow). The nurburgring really is the best place in the world.
I stayed at Ring Garage last night, but I’m up and about really really early due to going to bed really early because of exhaustion but also since I’m on my own and internet coverage in germany is surprisingly poor (no wifi either) I had zero entertainment for the evening. I’m staying in brussels with friends again tonight though and will probably stay in Adenau (Small but relatively lively town 10 mins from the track) on Saturday night where the internet coverage is a little better and there’s more people and energy about.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

revsRus wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:31 am
unzippy wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:01 am
I stayed at Ring Garage last night, but I’m up and about really really early due to going to bed really early because of exhaustion but also since I’m on my own and internet coverage in germany is surprisingly poor (no wifi either) I had zero entertainment for the evening. I’m staying in brussels with friends again tonight though and will probably stay in Adenau (Small but relatively lively town 10 mins from the track) on Saturday night where the internet coverage is a little better and there’s more people and energy about.

The ice cream cafe in Adenau is decent - Eisdiele Venezia.
The Lindenhof back up in Nurburg was always my favourite.

Have fun!
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
revsRus
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

Wee update - got down to 7:49 this afternoon which I’m very pleased indeed with, takes 7 seconds off my pb. Tomorrow I’m having a racy setup done in the morning so I’m going for a final “watch this!” evening session 5.30pm - 7.30pm when I can hopefully nick a few more seconds. Happy days
Simon

Post by Simon »

revsRus wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:27 pm Wee update - got down to 7:49 this afternoon which I’m very pleased indeed with, takes 7 seconds off my pb.
7:49 for a wee is impressive no matter how you look at it.
The artist formerly known as _Who_
mik

Post by mik »

And below your target. Nice 8-)
revsRus
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

mik wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:58 pm And below your target. Nice 8-)
Totally, I’m delighted. Where does it end though??!! I’m oooobviously going to want to get into the 7:30s next. I may need to have a word with myself to be content with what I’ve achieved rather than ending up overstretching
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Surely the next thing is racing?
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

revsRus wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:27 pm
Totally, I’m delighted. Where does it end though??!! I’m oooobviously going to want to get into the 7:30s next. I may need to have a word with myself to be content with what I’ve achieved rather than ending up overstretching
Good going! The unofficial BTG ‘record’ is 7:34 so anywhere near that would be flying.

Is there limited mileage on your insurance policy and does it include UK/Europe track days? Cos it’s really expensive!
Foz

Post by Foz »

Rich B wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:05 pm Surely the next thing is racing?
That’s the correct answer...

Elevates everything beyond winning at trackdays like you wouldn’t believe!

Also show up how good you really are, quickly 😂
revsRus
VW Golf Clubsport S

Post by revsRus »

Coaster1 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:56 pm
revsRus wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:27 pm
Good going! The unofficial BTG ‘record’ is 7:34 so anywhere near that would be flying.

Is there limited mileage on your insurance policy and does it include UK/Europe track days? Cos it’s really expensive!
That’s interesting to know. I ended up with a best of 7:46.8 after yesterday evening’s session and there’s definitely more to come for my next visit, probably late July or early August. Maybe I could become the unofficial record holder with a few more tries 👀

My insurance is with admiral without exhaustive shopping around, I have 3 points for speeding, am 35 and have had 2 claims in the past year of £8.5k (gt4) and £1k in the golf for when I absent mindedly trickled into the back of a range rover which stalled at some lights. No claims at all for 8 years prior. These 2 incidents combined are probably what makes it expensive.