Mini JCW thoughts - New car ordered

ShockDiamonds

Mini JCW thoughts - New car ordered

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Anybody got one of these, or had experience of them? Possible local daily driver option when the Porsche goes and a few hundred quid on a PCP secures a factory build. Looking at the 3 door hatch, not specced up at all, just a manual with comfort pack, duo-tone wheels and metallic. Going to have a first drive on Saturday. They certainly seem to sound tasty according to YouTube.
Last edited by ShockDiamonds on Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orange Cola

Re: Mini JCW thoughts

Post by Orange Cola »

Only heard good things but all my friends who have new Mini’s expect them to need something doing under warranty, Mini get good reviews in looking after customers too.

Alternatively could you not buy one outright as a used car? Older JCW’s are tempting money used. If you want a new one for warranty/ease of change reasons then the Countryman with the petrol 180?bhp motor in it gets good reviews from a friend and may be a more practical and slightly cheaper alternative.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Yeah it's the warranty and piece of mind that comes with it partly (in case the second car goes pop) and the JCW appeals just because of the engine. I prefer the 'original' three door design though - not too fussed about the other variants. Going for the full spec doesn't equate to the car I want to buy here and the budget goes to the JCW with things like heated seats and duo-tone alloys. As for an outright purchase, kind of assuming I'll need to keep funds aside for when the Aston goes bang, because that's still what I want to do.
scotta

Post by scotta »

I looked at one when i was moving the Golf R on..then bought the M240i instead. You should do that.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

You can’t have enough big engines in your life, do that and buy the M240i 8-)
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Buy my M235i ;)
M235i
mikeyb
Currently Driving: R56 Mini GP2
R53 Mini Cooper S
L322 Range Rover Westminster
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

From owning an R56 GP2, regularly driving my OH F56 Cooper S (and soon to be involved in her project R53 Cooper S) my advice is to not bother with an F56 Cooper S/JCW. Harsh ride and pretty boring (but effective) engine. Like for like, I would go for an M140i.
DeskJockey

Post by DeskJockey »

That's it then. Your mind has been made up for you! M1/240 it is.
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

Only I don’t think they do those as new cars any more...
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

I’ve loved the Minis I’ve had - I think it’s 3 now - but definitely check out the ride on the one you’re looking at because some of them are proper bone-shakers which amplify every single tiny imperfection in the road. There’s a nice balance to be had, but so many seem to totally sacrifice comfort in the pursuit of eeking out an extra percentile of handling capability.
Cheers,

Mike.
mikeyb
R53 Mini Cooper S
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

Ascender wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:29 pm I’ve loved the Minis I’ve had - I think it’s 3 now - but definitely check out the ride on the one you’re looking at because some of them are proper bone-shakers which amplify every single tiny imperfection in the road. There’s a nice balance to be had, but so many seem to totally sacrifice comfort in the pursuit of eeking out an extra percentile of handling capability.
That's a good point actually - I think the JCWs have even firmer suspension than the Cooper S. My OH's Cooper S has adaptive dampers which are more compliant than the passive set up when in normal. Might be worth trying that option too. Something like the 210 edition or newer Cooper S Sport seem a nice compromise between the Cooper S and JCW

They're generally good fun to chuck around though - seating position is nice and low.
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

The R56 GP2 I’ve driven was laugh out loud fun. Front end grip was incredible and the brakes were excellent too. Not particularly practical however if there’s more than 2 of you.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Drove the JCW on Saturday, only briefly. Having another tomorrow night for a longer drive. The standard JCW suspension can be deleted and/or substituted for adaptive dampers, and that's the way forward I think. Was indeed a little busy as some of the roads around here are pretty shit.

Sounded good although the new ones now emerging from Oxford are quieter, as per most cars. That's the reason I am driving the second car tomorrow because it's brand new whereas the car on Saturday was a hastily arranged pre-owned car. Just want to know by how much the exhaust is toned down before I order one. Bloody quick given the size of it. Hooning around the local lanes was a nice change compared to the relatively lumbering Panamera and, yeah, I liked it. Also looking at pre-owned Civic Type Rs which are around the same money on a 18 or 19 plate but reckon the Mini will be a little easier, plus there's a certain something of course to being able to order my own car again. Delivery would be mid-September we think, so a 70 plate too.

Spec is a tad confusing to work out, as Nav Pack apparently includes Comfort Pack, yet when you spec that online the costs increases to an extent which suggests you're paying for Nav and Comfort packs. So waiting confirmation on that from the dealer.

Also looked at a DB9 on Saturday. Already knew they weren't too cavernous inside but was nevertheless disappointed to see that our daughter barely fits height-wise under the rear window. It's not so much legroom which is at premium, although that's hardly good, but her head is on the rear window most of the time. Still, I've agreed with my wife that we could use the Mini when we need to be together in the car so I may end up getting one anyway. Won't now be looking at DB7s despite the connection (of sorts) I have with them because they have a rust risk it would seem (although the DB9 also had a little rust showing under one of the door handles).
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

mikeyb wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:20 pm
Ascender wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:29 pm I’ve loved the Minis I’ve had - I think it’s 3 now - but definitely check out the ride on the one you’re looking at because some of them are proper bone-shakers which amplify every single tiny imperfection in the road. There’s a nice balance to be had, but so many seem to totally sacrifice comfort in the pursuit of eeking out an extra percentile of handling capability.
That's a good point actually - I think the JCWs have even firmer suspension than the Cooper S. My OH's Cooper S has adaptive dampers which are more compliant than the passive set up when in normal. Might be worth trying that option too. Something like the 210 edition or newer Cooper S Sport seem a nice compromise between the Cooper S and JCW

They're generally good fun to chuck around though - seating position is nice and low.
Every single one I’ve driven has been incredible fun to chuck around - its a total go-kart, but with lots of creature comforts.
Cheers,

Mike.
mikeyb
R53 Mini Cooper S
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

Ascender wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:07 pm
mikeyb wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:20 pm

Every single one I’ve driven has been incredible fun to chuck around - its a total go-kart, but with lots of creature comforts.
Absolutely. My GP2 is a giggle. A car that is playful but extremely competent. I’m Looking forward you trying our R53 Cooper s and honing that :D
mikeyb
R53 Mini Cooper S
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

Maurice wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:27 pm The R56 GP2 I’ve driven was laugh out loud fun. Front end grip was incredible and the brakes were excellent too. Not particularly practical however if there’s more than 2 of you.
The set up/balance that provides the great front end grip also means the handling can be ‘interesting’ in the wet with cold tyres....

Out of interest, how does the GP2 compare to your Exige for fun to pedal down a road?
16vCento
Currently Driving: XFS Portfolio
V60 D3 SE
Xantia Activa

Post by 16vCento »

My R50 Cooper on factory Supersport suspension which was recently refreshed (with OEM parts) definitely handles better than my R56 Cooper S did, even though its on ditchfinders.

The downside as mentioned is it's a bit firm, not uncomfortably so IMO, but harder than the R56 was.

Minis are great fun, glad I've got another, I really missed the old one.
Maurice

Post by Maurice »

mikeyb wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:24 pm
Maurice wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:27 pm The R56 GP2 I’ve driven was laugh out loud fun. Front end grip was incredible and the brakes were excellent too. Not particularly practical however if there’s more than 2 of you.
The set up/balance that provides the great front end grip also means the handling can be ‘interesting’ in the wet with cold tyres....

Out of interest, how does the GP2 compare to your Exige for fun to pedal down a road?
The Exige is more intense and I definitely need to concentrate when properly on it, albeit it is ultimately on your side. The Mini almost immediately made me feel confident about chucking it about.

Different characters, but both great fun.
Explosive Newt

Post by Explosive Newt »

A friend bought a 3-year old 2012 model JCW with about 22k miles on it and end up spending several thousand on repairs over the course of about 18 months. Electrical failures (mysterious window gremlins), clutch went, fuel pump went, etc. Fun to drive but he couldn't wait to get shot of it eventually.
mikeyb
R53 Mini Cooper S
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

Maurice wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:20 am
mikeyb wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:24 pm

The Exige is more intense and I definitely need to concentrate when properly on it, albeit it is ultimately on your side. The Mini almost immediately made me feel confident about chucking it about.

Different characters, but both great fun.
Thanks for the insight :)