Single versus two car argument

User avatar
NotoriousREV
Posts: 6436
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by NotoriousREV »

Don’t have a shit car and a good car. It’s not worth it. You end up either not taking the opportunities to use the good car, or always wishing you were in the good one when you’re in the shit one. If you’re going to have multiple cars, make sure they’re all ones you want and will enjoy owning, or at least serve a specific role within your fleet.

There’s no point owning an Aston if it means schlepping to work in a Hyundai i20.
Middle-aged Dirtbag
User avatar
Orange Cola
Posts: 2232
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:56 pm

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by Orange Cola »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:12 amThere’s no point owning an Aston if it means schlepping to work in a Hyundai i20.
10000% This. If you have to do budget motoring as a second car then make it very, very different and interesting.
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
User avatar
Jimexpl
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by Jimexpl »

GG. wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:06 am
Jimexpl wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:19 pm As someone who owns 4 1/2 cars and lives 5 min walk from London Bridge in a flat, without a parking space, it's lack of use on a car that depreciates that takes any enjoyment out of the ownership.
At the end of last year, despite enjoying my M140, it had basically become a £600pm street ornamant, to the point that I lent it to a mate for a month as it was never being used. I'd originally had visions of clearing the finance keeping it long term, but got rid of it in December and spent the equity on other stuff.

We need a modern family car, so that stays, but the other four (three Land Rovers and a 1275GT) are either depreciation-free or slight appreciators, so the costs are in the hundreds rather than thousands each year, unless major maitenance or restoration is required.

I always forget at least one m.o.t for a few months every year...
Where do you keep them out of interest? Presumably not all on the street.
The Series III Land Rover used to be in Cornwall (rennovated a cottage down there ten years ago with my Dad and bought it as a beach/getting dirty car), but has been having a slow re-chassis and restoration in the Midlands that is now in the fifth year...
Disco Sport (and the M140 when I had it) is parked on the street. Our flat was built in the last year that Southwark let you have two parking permits (2002). Now you can't get one if you're in a new-build, so I keep paying for two regardless of how many cars I have here, so I don't lose the entitlement.
1275GT and V8 Land Rover are sitting in a dry barn in South Leicestershire - before kids I used to have the V8 in London during the summer, but it probably does less than 100 miles a year now.
110 Defender generally is at my parents unless I'm using it for something specific in London. It's a working vehicle when we're doing property projects - Not that I've done one for two years because of kids. My Dad likes using it for local runs instead of his car (F-Pace S).

I was going to put seatbelts in the back of the 1275GT and use it around London this summer, but Covid happened, so it last left the barn in October.
User avatar
scotta
Posts: 1668
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by scotta »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:12 am Don’t have a shit car and a good car. It’s not worth it. You end up either not taking the opportunities to use the good car, or always wishing you were in the good one when you’re in the shit one. If you’re going to have multiple cars, make sure they’re all ones you want and will enjoy owning, or at least serve a specific role within your fleet.

There’s no point owning an Aston if it means schlepping to work in a Hyundai i20.
Absolutely this. I had thought about this when i was looking to get rid of the Golf. I thought i'll just spend a couple of grand on something to run to work since i have the lotus. But then id end up just driving the Lotus everywhere and putting un-necessary mileage on it. Also during the winter id be stuck driving a shit-box.
User avatar
duncs500
Posts: 2105
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by duncs500 »

Meh, I don't have a problem with having a mediocre car day to day. All I do is drive to the station and the supermarket in it most of the time.
User avatar
ZedLeg
Posts: 2906
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by ZedLeg »

Obviously not applicable to everyone but I’d have a bike/use public transport and have a bit more money for the nice car than the shit car nice car combo.

I currently have bike/public transport and a shit car though so what do I know :lol:
An absolute unit
User avatar
Sundayjumper
Posts: 2008
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:04 pm
Currently Driving: BMW 316i

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by Sundayjumper »

NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:12 am There’s no point owning an Aston if it means schlepping to work in a Hyundai i20.
It's a 7-Series actually, keep up ;)

While you're here, it seems you've accidentally blocked me on Facebook. I think it happened at the weekend when you were in a strop about your fcuked gearbox. Can you un-block me again ? It made Alex's thread this morning a bit hard to follow as I can't see your posts. I would have mentioned it on Facebook, but well, you blocked me :lol:
User avatar
scotta
Posts: 1668
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by scotta »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:19 pm
NotoriousREV wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:12 am There’s no point owning an Aston if it means schlepping to work in a Hyundai i20.
It's a 7-Series actually, keep up ;)

While you're here, it seems you've accidentally blocked me on Facebook. I think it happened at the weekend when you were in a strop about your fcuked gearbox. Can you un-block me again ? It made Alex's thread this morning a bit hard to follow as I can't see your posts. I would have mentioned it on Facebook, but well, you blocked me :lol:
Have you tried reverting back to the previous forum messenger system of getting [mention]Marv[/mention] to pass on all messages?
User avatar
Mito Man
Posts: 5022
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by Mito Man »

🍿
How about not having a sig at all?
tim
Posts: 801
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:27 am

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by tim »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:19 pmaccidentally blocked
LOLs.
User avatar
Orange Cola
Posts: 2232
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:56 pm

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by Orange Cola »

🥤🎟
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
User avatar
Jobbo
Posts: 3485
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by Jobbo »

Matty wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:44 pm I've frequently had two cars, just ...because.

However it's quite an expensive approach if both cars on the depreciation curve. Things like Elise's and Caterhams which cost pennies to run/insure are fine, plus solid residuals to boot. My Elise for example cost about £60/year to keep on the road (tax/insurance/basic service).

But things like Boxsters, 911's, Evora's and the like alongside something new+practical can really start to add up over the year and I did start to realise I could run something really interesting as a daily for about the same cost.

Plus owning 2/3 cars can be a faff with sorting out the insurance and services multiple times per year.
What Matt says about having two cars which are depreciating. I'm not sure whether a DB7 has stopped depreciating but it's not going to be falling at the rate of a Panamera or 5-series so it probably counts.

But having two cars which are both very capable means that you'll keep using the one you prefer. I doubt a DB7 is enough of an event to drive to make it a good second car. My ideal second car, it turns out, is something Japanese (for reliability, i.e. it starts and works after being left for weeks) which fits inside the garage comfortably (so it doesn't deteriorate) and which is a bit of a classic (so it doesn't depreciate) and is quite mechanical (so it is a nice contrast to the wafty everyday car). I reckon there are plenty of cars which would be great which miss one of those criteria but fit the rest. The DB7 fails on three at least :lol:
User avatar
NotoriousREV
Posts: 6436
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by NotoriousREV »

tim wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:31 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:19 pmaccidentally blocked
LOLs.
Indeed :lol:
Middle-aged Dirtbag
User avatar
Swervin_Mervin
Posts: 2357
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:58 pm

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Jobbo wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:28 pm My ideal second car, it turns out, is something Japanese (for reliability, i.e. it starts and works after being left for weeks) which fits inside the garage comfortably (so it doesn't deteriorate) and which is a bit of a classic (so it doesn't depreciate) and is quite mechanical (so it is a nice contrast to the wafty everyday car).
Funnily enough, what I have in mind* fits those criteria on all 3 counts 8-)

*if it ever bloody happens
User avatar
Sundayjumper
Posts: 2008
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:04 pm
Currently Driving: BMW 316i

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by Sundayjumper »

tim wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:31 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:19 pmaccidentally blocked
LOLs.
I know, right ? I rarely post on Facebook, blocking me there because of something I wrote on here seems a bit.... retarded.

It's another example of his pent-up impotent rage, just like last time when he made a string of demands of me with absolutely no way of enforcing them :lol:

But back on topic, REV, what are your thoughts on this 1 vs 2 topic ? Is having a fcuked 911 better or worse than having a fcuked 911 AND a fcuked Camaro ? Do you think you'd be better off consolidating it all by selling the fcuked 911 and using the fcuked Camaro for everything ?

Or maybe blathering on about engine swaps and other modifications that will obviously never happen is even better than both ??? We need to know !
User avatar
Mito Man
Posts: 5022
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by Mito Man »

:lol: I need me some more pupcorn.
How about not having a sig at all?
User avatar
Rich B
Posts: 5202
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by Rich B »

It’s on!
User avatar
DeskJockey
Posts: 1767
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by DeskJockey »

Mito Man wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:40 pm :lol: I need me some more pupcorn.
What exactly are you eating?!
---
Driving a Galaxy far far away
User avatar
Orange Cola
Posts: 2232
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:56 pm

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by Orange Cola »

:shock:
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
User avatar
NotoriousREV
Posts: 6436
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: Single versus two car argument

Post by NotoriousREV »

Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:34 pm
tim wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:31 pm
Sundayjumper wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:19 pmaccidentally blocked
LOLs.
I know, right ? I rarely post on Facebook, blocking me there because of something I wrote on here seems a bit.... retarded.

It's another example of his pent-up impotent rage, just like last time when he made a string of demands of me with absolutely no way of enforcing them :lol:

But back on topic, REV, what are your thoughts on this 1 vs 2 topic ? Is having a fcuked 911 better or worse than having a fcuked 911 AND a fcuked Camaro ? Do you think you'd be better off consolidating it all by selling the fcuked 911 and using the fcuked Camaro for everything ?

Or maybe blathering on about engine swaps and other modifications that will obviously never happen is even better than both ??? We need to know !
OK, Steve. Whatever you say 👍
Middle-aged Dirtbag
Post Reply