Next car purchase

Peterlplp

Re: Next car purchase

Post by Peterlplp »

If you're looking for a Alphard, remember to include the Vellfire in your search - basically the same thing but they look a bit funkier. Here is a G's one from the spotted thread. Nissan Elgrand are great as well - the 3.5 is super smooth and works well with the cvt, it's like taking snowpiercer on the road. Honda Elysion are not so well regarded but might be easier for you guys to get drivetrain parts.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Peterlplp wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:37 am If you're looking for a Alphard, remember to include the Vellfire in your search - basically the same thing but they look a bit funkier. Here is a G's one from the spotted thread. Nissan Elgrand are great as well - the 3.5 is super smooth and works well with the cvt, it's like taking snowpiercer on the road. Honda Elysion are not so well regarded but might be easier for you guys to get drivetrain parts.
Cheers for the info.
M235i
mik

Post by mik »

Might be worth checking how much Bryn could bring one in for you from Japan...?
simon_g

Post by simon_g »

Jobbo wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:06 am
Alex_ wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:34 am
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:28 am If she’s getting an alphard, why do you need an estate?
I don't if she finds a decent one. But she's likely to change her mind again.
Has she thought about the indicator stalk being on the wrong side, the Japanese text so she doesn't know what the sat nav and stereo does, etc? Fun for someone who wants a bit of JDM-yo, maybe not for someone who just thinks they look funky.
You get used to the indicators if you swap back and forth a lot, a bit like going between manual and auto cars.

Stereo in almost all JDM cars is a double DIN, you just swap for a UK one. Buttons for everything else are usually symbols or English text.

Alex, if you want a chat about importing one let me know. It takes a while but isn’t a hassle really and there’s plenty to choose from in Japan so you can get exactly what you want.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

simon_g wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:44 pm
Jobbo wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:06 am
Alex_ wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:34 am

I don't if she finds a decent one. But she's likely to change her mind again.
Has she thought about the indicator stalk being on the wrong side, the Japanese text so she doesn't know what the sat nav and stereo does, etc? Fun for someone who wants a bit of JDM-yo, maybe not for someone who just thinks they look funky.
You get used to the indicators if you swap back and forth a lot, a bit like going between manual and auto cars.

Stereo in almost all JDM cars is a double DIN, you just swap for a UK one. Buttons for everything else are usually symbols or English text.

Alex, if you want a chat about importing one let me know. It takes a while but isn’t a hassle really and there’s plenty to choose from in Japan so you can get exactly what you want.
Cheers Simon.
M235i
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Put down a refundable deposit on an auto F31 320D, will buy subject to test drive tomorrow.
M235i
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Alex_ wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:57 am Put down a refundable deposit on an auto F31 320D, will buy subject to test drive tomorrow.
They’re decent cars - not exciting, but still unmistakably BMW feeling. Some whine about stiff ride, but ours rides absolutely fine on M sport suspension and 19s. The only real criticism I’d have is the standard headlights on our 2014 one are probably the worst headlights I’ve ever seen on a modern ish car.

No 330d’s to try?
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Check whether it was subject to the recall for bursting into flames
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:48 pm Check whether it was subject to the recall for bursting into flames
Which year are prone to this?
M235i
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

Alex_ wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:13 pm
Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:48 pm Check whether it was subject to the recall for bursting into flames
Several and from what I've read there are some in the same years that are/aren't. It's never made much sense to me tbh!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

Swervin_Mervin wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:51 pm
Alex_ wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:13 pm
Several and from what I've read there are some in the same years that are/aren't. It's never made much sense to me tbh!
just choose one without any flickery red hot bits and you’ll be fine.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Test drive went well. Will be picking this up on Thursday, hopefully:

F31 320d M Sport Shadow Edition Touring, Alpine White, auto, lots of toys but surprised no front parking sensors #the_thrill_of_parking.
M235i
Coaster1

Post by Coaster1 »

That’s a handsome looking car 👍
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Cheers mate. Handsome is a good word to describe it.

The dealer had four 19 plate 320D Tourings (blue, black, silver and white). I think alpine white is the best colour for the Shadow Edition and contrasts well with the gloss black trim. Picked it up yesterday afternoon and did about 100 miles so far. Quite impressed with the 2L diesel, it's not as slow as I expected and not as noisy as people say they are on the internet.The ZF auto is fantastic and helps make the car feel quite "fast". The ride is not as firm as I feared especially it's on run flats. It's more comfortable than the 235i with adaptive suspension in comfort mode. The wife will be pleased.

A few minor stone chips on the front end so I've ordered some Dr. Colorchip to touch them up. Overall, it's in excellent condition as you'd expect for a one year old car. The Harman Kardon speakers are great and I have it admit, this generation of iDrive is brilliant. Don't think I've got pro nav, and the graphics are a bit shit. LED headlights but I'm sure they're not adaptive like the ones I optioned on the 235i which were brilliant. The heated seats are quite snug, then again I've gained a few pounds during covid :lol: . Overall, really happy with the car, it should a great everyday workhorse.

BTW, is it just me or the rear lights highlight the road rather brightly? Don't think I've notice this on the 235i, or any other car.

M235i
Gavin
Currently Driving: Skoda Superb, R56 Cooper S

Post by Gavin »

That does look nice, and it does look very bright at the back. Some brake lights seem to, which is always fun sitting behind at lights but you could see those bad boys from a loooooooong way back.

A decent chance folks will think you are plod and get out the way?
GG.

Post by GG. »

That's a funny looking Alphard.
duncs500

Post by duncs500 »

She sits surprisingly nicely mate.
Broccers

Post by Broccers »

looks nice and IM sure people will be moving out of your way on the motorway :lol:
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

That's why people were driving quite cautiously around me yesterday :lol:
M235i
dinny_g

Post by dinny_g »

Very nice Alex - I agree that white is the best combo with a Shadow Edition

My E Class is a Night Edition but as it's black, the effect is a little lost. To be honest, it looks like the local dealers car - an ambitious local dealer mind but a dealer. People occasionally double take when I get out if it... :lol:
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…