Next car purchase

Alex_

Next car purchase

Post by Alex_ »

I'm looking to buy a second hand A6 avant around 3-4 years old. It'll be a boring 2L diesel. Is Quattro worth the extra money? Anyone had experience with them?
Last edited by Alex_ on Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
M235i
dinny_g

Re: Question on Quattro

Post by dinny_g »

Not sure if it's relevant but we had a Front Wheel Drive A5 Sportback a few years ago and it was nearly un-driveable in the wet and actually dangerous in icy conditions.

No Traction whatsoever and an traction control system that didn't know what to do - I had far too many instances of pulling (or trying to pull) away from roundabouts, have the whole system get in a tizzy and leave me stranded in the middle of traffic.

I wouldn't buy a big Audi without Quatto.
JLv3.0 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm I say this rarely Dave, but listen to Dinny because he's right.
Rich B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:57 pm but Dinny was right…
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Standard A4 or A6 like the examples we had in Brussels years ago are hateful cars in wet or snow. But the Quattro, even with shitty Leaseplan tyres on them, would always either get up the hill to the office in the snow or safely navigate the roundabout outside at slightly more than walking pace (whereas my A4 TDI would plough straight on).
GG.

Post by GG. »

Alex_ wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:56 pm I'm looking to buy a second hand A6 avant around 3-4 years old. It'll be a boring 2L diesel. Is Quattro worth the extra money? Anyone had experience with them?
You live in Scotland, no? Unless you do only urban driving it would seem to make sense to have that facility if not a significant extra expense.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

So what understeers more? No Quattro or Quattro?
How about not having a sig at all?
mikeyb
Currently Driving: R56 Mini GP2
R53 Mini Cooper S
L322 Range Rover Westminster
BMW F30 330d

Post by mikeyb »

Alex_ wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:56 pm I'm looking to buy a second hand A6 avant around 3-4 years old. It'll be a boring 2L diesel. Is Quattro worth the extra money? Anyone had experience with them?
Dad's last Audi was a 2015 A6 2.0 tdi 190 Ultra S Tronic (FWD). I personally thought it was fine - I didn't think the level of power/torque required quattro. I thought it went down the road quite well for a low(ish) powered saloon. Plenty of grip and unless it was wet and you were purposely being aggressive, traction wasn't an issue. Maybe it''s tyre sensitive :? In respect of traction - it had launch control, which I always thought was daft in a FWD car. It just used to spin up.
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

Buy a superb if you’re getting a 4 pot. More kit less money.
Last edited by Shlergen on Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShockDiamonds

Post by ShockDiamonds »

Mito Man wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:22 pm So what understeers more? No Quattro or Quattro?
My non-Quattro A4 is probably understeering somewhere right now in the middle of June.
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Thanks all for the feedback. I test drove a FWD yesterday and it was fine but pondering if quattro is worth forking out an extra £2-3k, lower mpg and potentially bigger bills.
M235i
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Alex_ wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:42 pm Thanks all for the feedback. I test drove a FWD yesterday and it was fine but pondering if quattro is worth forking out an extra £2-3k, lower mpg and potentially bigger bills.
2wd with winters > 4WD with all seasons

Dave!
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

I don't know when and on what models it was brought in but later quattro can disconnect the rear drive for better mpgs. Haldex 4wd VAGs are little thirstier than fwd, I think the newer quattro would be much the same. For mpg comparisons https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/

As for whether you need it, do you often notice it's absence?
GG.

Post by GG. »

I'm disappointed no-one so far has mentioned that with quattro you can pretend you're Walter Rohrl and / or that FWD is wrong wheel drive :lol:
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Proper Quattro (A4/A6 upwards - anything with a longitudinal engine) doesn’t disconnect the drive to any wheels.

I’d not have one without Quattro. Really loved my 2016 Allroad (272PS version - watch out that there are different power versions of the 3.0 engine) and it handled incredibly well. The Quattro means it doesn’t feel fwd and you can sense that from pulling out of t-junctions, not just when flinging it about. The longitudinal engine layout means it’s quite an efficient system too so you don’t need to be too concerned about it dragging down your economy.

Choice of engine should probably be driven more by gearbox than anything else. I don’t think any multitronics were offered in the model years you’re looking at but avoid them like the plague. The BiTDI came with ZF 8-sp, the other V6s with S-Tronic (dual clutch, 7-sp in my Allroad) and the 2.0 TDI took a while to get the 7-sp S-Tronic I think, so look most carefully at what box you’re getting in a 2.0.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Stop being silly and get a 5 series (or Jobbo spec A6 if you must).

No need to thank me. 😘
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:37 pm Proper Quattro (A4/A6 upwards - anything with a longitudinal engine) doesn’t disconnect the drive to any wheels.

I’d not have one without Quattro. Really loved my 2016 Allroad (272PS version - watch out that there are different power versions of the 3.0 engine) and it handled incredibly well. The Quattro means it doesn’t feel fwd and you can sense that from pulling out of t-junctions, not just when flinging it about. The longitudinal engine layout means it’s quite an efficient system too so you don’t need to be too concerned about it dragging down your economy.

Choice of engine should probably be driven more by gearbox than anything else. I don’t think any multitronics were offered in the model years you’re looking at but avoid them like the plague. The BiTDI came with ZF 8-sp, the other V6s with S-Tronic (dual clutch, 7-sp in my Allroad) and the 2.0 TDI took a while to get the 7-sp S-Tronic I think, so look most carefully at what box you’re getting in a 2.0.
Cheers for the input Simon. The ones I've tried all have the 7-speed S-Tronic which were fine.
M235i
Alex_

Post by Alex_ »

McSwede wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:50 pm Stop being silly and get a 5 series (or Jobbo spec A6 if you must).

No need to thank me. 😘
That's on the list too. Quite fancy the new G30s but they look a bit granddad-ish and the standard wheels look tiny in the big arches. But second hand values haven't dropped to what I want to spend.
Last edited by Alex_ on Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M235i
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:37 pm Proper Quattro (A4/A6 upwards - anything with a longitudinal engine) doesn’t disconnect the drive to any wheels.
https://www.audi.co.uk/audi-innovation/ ... drive.html

Slight aside, quattro as a drivetrain derivative is lower case q, upper case only applies to the original where it was the model name.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Alex_ wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:56 pm
McSwede wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:50 pm Stop being silly and get a 5 series (or Jobbo spec A6 if you must).

No need to thank me. 😘
That's on the list too. Quite fancy the new G30s but they look a bit granddad-ish and the standard wheels look tiny in the big arches. But second hand values haven't dropped to what I want to spend.
F11 was the best looking IMO and there will be some nice ones of those kicking about with decent engine and spec choice.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

nuttinnew wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:58 pm

Slight aside, quattro as a drivetrain derivative is lower case q, upper case only applies to the original where it was the model name.
Autocorrect makes it upper case on my phone and I can’t be bothered to correct it.

There are now a few A4 variants with a cheaper shitter system but the majority of A4s, all A6s and anything Alex is looking at will be proper full-time 4wd. It says they can send 100% of power to one or other end but that’s not the same as disconnecting either end.
nuttinnew

Post by nuttinnew »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:42 pm
nuttinnew wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:58 pm

Autocorrect makes it upper case on my phone and I can’t be bothered to correct it.

There are now a few A4 variants with a cheaper shitter system but the majority of A4s, all A6s and anything Alex is looking at will be proper full-time 4wd. It says they can send 100% of power to one or other end but that’s not the same as disconnecting either end.

Just because you're wrong - "Proper Quattro (A4/A6 upwards - anything with a longitudinal engine) doesn’t disconnect the drive to any wheels" - doesn't make it a "cheaper shitter system". If you're after scoring points because it's not applicable to the A6 here, I had said I didn't know what models it was used on (from memory, the pics in the article I read at the time weren't of Allroad or Q5, but I also can't recall which country they were taken in.).

Autocorrect? Fair enough. Maybe ;)

Aaanyway; Alex, why a 2.0 derv after the 235i (apologies if I missed it elsewhere)?