Talented Audi Drivers

GG.

Re: Talented Audi Drivers

Post by GG. »

Rich B wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:55 am I think I’d be happier doing 200 on an autobahn compared to a motorway even if you took the legality out of the question. People are simply used to people doing excessive speed on autobahns and will behave differently with regard to lane discipline.
This.
Mito Man

Post by Mito Man »

There was a very sensible chap on radio 2 the other day, think he ran a classic car club or something (reception was very bad hence I was on radio 2 in the first place). People were emailing in the most stupid of questions, anyways...
He starts talking about the autobahn and how it’s unrestricted but if he wants to drive very fast at speeds of one hundred miles per hour he goes to Milbrook test circuit :lol:

I doff my cap good Sir :mrgreen:
How about not having a sig at all?
KevH18

Post by KevH18 »

jamcg wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:57 am
Jobbo wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:46 am He's dying in a care home of Coronavirus, there's not much traffic on the roads and even the MLMs are only venturing into the middle lane, not the outside lane :lol:
Come to Teesside, the at risk groups of people still haven’t got the message, they’re still going about their business as if nothings happened
I travelled to Crimdon beach from Sunderland yesterday and there was a group of 10 adults with two kids, drinking, swearing every second word, all sitting together. Even people who were quiet polite, saying thank you when we let them past on the steps, were in groups of four or more and obviously not from the same household. I don't hold much hope of it dying out up here for a while!
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

jamcg wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:14 am
Simon wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:12 am This starts near me on the M23. The local police are on the case apparently.

People talk about 'competent driver in a good car can be safe' etc, but at the end of the day motorways are not engineered for cars to do this sort of speed. At 200mph some of those corners become 'blind corners'. The bump and undulation tolerances are not suitable for that sort of speed, etc etc.

I hope they find him and jail him.
Competent driver wouldn't do this one handed with a phone in the other
That's my main issue. The M23 may not have been engineered for 200mph traffic, but it was engineered to the highest standards in the country for vehicles. I'm not convinced that what he did was unsafe through the speed alone. Would 150 be OK? What about 120, or 180?
Foz

Post by Foz »

What car is is it, a big RS?
_andy

Post by _andy »

Foz wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:18 pm What car is is it, a big RS?
RS6 apparently.
Ascender
Currently Driving: 2019 M2 Competition

Post by Ascender »

Yeah, it was more the fact he did it one-handed while recording it that blew my mind.

He also just seemed to go for a bit of motorway "cos its wide", even though there's still joining traffic and isn't just one long massive straight.
Cheers,

Mike.
V8Granite

Post by V8Granite »

Yep urtterly retarded. It’s not the road itself that is the problem compared to an autobahn, it’s people and what they expect.

The road wasn’t clear enough and he didn’t have much place to escape for a normal British motorway idiot.

Dave!
Rich B
Currently Driving: M2 Competition

Post by Rich B »

More importantly, if he was on an autobahn he’d be driving headfirst into traffic.
Simon

Post by Simon »

:lol:
The artist formerly known as _Who_
240PP
Currently Driving: A5 3.0 TDI, 987 S.

Post by 240PP »

Rich B wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:48 pm More importantly, if he was on an autobahn he’d be driving headfirst into traffic.
Roads are different over there 8-)
Shlergen

Post by Shlergen »

No way he could have stopped on some of the blind corners :?

Biggest bug bear for me is the continious whining over a certain speed. I'd be taking that up with Audi.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Standard RS6 is limited so they'll claim it's been modified... :D
_andy

Post by _andy »

What is it with people filming themselves doing crimes and putting it on the internet? He deserves to be caught just for that, and with all the ANPR, etc. that is around probably set up around Gatwick, and knowing the exact model of (pretty uncommon) car, I don't think it'll take a lot of work to track him down.
Beany

Post by Beany »

_andy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 pm What is it with people filming themselves doing crimes and putting it on the internet? He deserves to be caught just for that, and with all the ANPR, etc. that is around probably set up around Gatwick, and knowing the exact model of (pretty uncommon) car, I don't think it'll take a lot of work to track him down.
....and when they do catch him, 200mph one handed probably means a few weeks in the clink.
McSwede

Post by McSwede »

Simon wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:29 am
jamcg wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:14 am
Simon wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:12 am This starts near me on the M23. The local police are on the case apparently.

People talk about 'competent driver in a good car can be safe' etc, but at the end of the day motorways are not engineered for cars to do this sort of speed. At 200mph some of those corners become 'blind corners'. The bump and undulation tolerances are not suitable for that sort of speed, etc etc.

I hope they find him and jail him.
Competent driver wouldn't do this one handed with a phone in the other
Competent driver wouldn't do this at all. ;)
Who said that? Nonsense. If conditions permit then why not? So long as you understand the risk. There are a few place local to me the I know I could do it safely with low risk of being caught so long as traffic was very very light.
mik

Post by mik »

200mph on a motorway stretch is fine in itself if you are willing to risk your license / freedom.

Doing it with one hand on the wheel and half an eye on the mobile in your other hand is utterly stoopid though. What a dick.

And doing it in even light traffic is a wank move too. I was driving back from East Midlands airport years back after a family holiday. Flight got in late evening and it was early hours before we were on our way back. Around 02:00 when I was feeling a bit tired, but still trying to get the motorway slog over... a cop car came past in the outside lane without blues on, but I’d estimate he was doing 140+. A car passing with a 50mph speed differential gave me a shock (although I accept I could have been in a higher state of awareness). The vehicles this dude passes with a 140-odd mph speed differential probably pooped their pantaloons. Not cool.
Swervin_Mervin

Post by Swervin_Mervin »

mik wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:02 pm 200mph on a motorway stretch is fine in itself if you are willing to risk your license / freedom.

Doing it with one hand on the wheel and half an eye on the mobile in your other hand is utterly stoopid though. What a dick.

And doing it in even light traffic is a wank move too. I was driving back from East Midlands airport years back after a family holiday. Flight got in late evening and it was early hours before we were on our way back. Around 02:00 when I was feeling a bit tired, but still trying to get the motorway slog over... a cop car came past in the outside lane without blues on, but I’d estimate he was doing 140+. A car passing with a 50mph speed differential gave me a shock (although I accept I could have been in a higher state of awareness). The vehicles this dude passes with a 140-odd mph speed differential probably pooped their pantaloons. Not cool.
200% this.
Simon

Post by Simon »

So it's ok if he takes himself out then? Sorry, at 200mph you've no idea if there's going to be someone either on your side of the road in a mile or two, or if you crash badly and leap the central reservation you could hit someone coming the other way. Short of closing the motorway for 10 miles in each direction there's no way your not putting other people at risk.

And even if he didn't hit anyone else but just crashed and killed himself then there's still the trauma that the emergency workers would go through in scraping the bits of his body off of the 800 yards of motorway. Not to mention the cost of doing all that.

Nope, no way you can justify it ever. He's a dick.
Jobbo
Currently Driving: S6 Avant, Jimny, Macan, Mini

Post by Jobbo »

Simon, would 100mph have been ok? What about 200mph where legal in Germany?

There’s nothing innately dangerous about speed alone.