McLarens Maintenance Costs 12C - Senna

SSO

McLarens Maintenance Costs 12C - Senna

Post by SSO »

Just posted up an article on all of our McLaren Maintenance costs covering the 12C, 650S Spider, 675LT Spider, 720S, P1, & Senna to date:

https://karenable.com

Comments?
Simon

Re: McLarens Maintenance Costs 12C - Senna

Post by Simon »

Interesting reading. Do you not take out the extended warranty on the older cars? It's not mentioned in your cost breakdown...
The artist formerly known as _Who_
SSO

Post by SSO »

Simon wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:22 pm Interesting reading. Do you not take out the extended warranty on the older cars? It's not mentioned in your cost breakdown...
No, I've never opted for the extended warrantees. Only car we ever needed it on (and had it for) was a Jaguar XKR.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

They’re not the frightening figures i was expecting. As a ratio between purchase price and service price they’re actually not that bad!
Mustang GT 5.0 V8 -- Jaguar F-Pace
SSO

Post by SSO »

Orange Cola wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:48 pm They’re not the frightening figures i was expecting. As a ratio between purchase price and service price they’re actually not that bad!
On a lot of things related to McLaren there is a large gap between negative perception and the much more positive reality.
unzippy

Post by unzippy »

Maybe mileage would have been a useful addition to the article?
The Evo forum really is a shadow of its former self. I remember when the internet was for the elite and now they seem to let any spastic on

IaFG Down Under Division
JonMad
Currently Driving: 2015 Swift; 2012 Yeti; 2006 Fabia

Post by JonMad »

Yes, that's surprisingly reasonable. Thank you for sharing, Agree the mileages would be an interesting addition.
Left over crest; tightens.
SSO

Post by SSO »

JonMad wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:09 am Yes, that's surprisingly reasonable. Thank you for sharing, Agree the mileages would be an interesting addition.
I've never really paid much attention or tracked the mileages as we service the cars annually regardless of mileage. On average though it would be int eh range of 2-5k depending on the car and year. On a few of the road trips, we have put well over 1k miles on the 675LT in just a few days. Never had it put a foot wrong.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

I think I’ve noticed you’ve not owned a Lamborghini, why is that?
SSO

Post by SSO »

Orange Cola wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:56 pm I think I’ve noticed you’ve not owned a Lamborghini, why is that?
Just never been a big Lambo fan. First one I drove was a early Diablo and it was horrible. Second was a Murcielago that I just could not get comfortable in.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

SSO wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:50 am
Orange Cola wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:56 pm I think I’ve noticed you’ve not owned a Lamborghini, why is that?
Just never been a big Lambo fan. First one I drove was a early Diablo and it was horrible. Second was a Murcielago that I just could not get comfortable in.
Would you try a newer one? I wonder if the VAG influence has improved it over time.
SSO

Post by SSO »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:14 am
SSO wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:50 am
Would you try a newer one? I wonder if the VAG influence has improved it over time.
Actually the one I find the most appealing is the Miura.
Orange Cola

Post by Orange Cola »

You’re not significantly taller than the average Italian are you? Could be another sticking point if you are... :lol:
SSO

Post by SSO »

Orange Cola wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:43 pm You’re not significantly taller than the average Italian are you? Could be another sticking point if you are... :lol:
Just by a bit......
Jimexpl

Post by Jimexpl »

SSO wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:32 pm
Orange Cola wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:43 pm You’re not significantly taller than the average Italian are you? Could be another sticking point if you are... :lol:
Just by a bit......
You can modify the seats to get an extra couple of inches, so someone of 6ft can actually fit in. I've had a brief drive in two (about 15 miles in each); the first production specification car (the fourth off the line, as the first three had a lower roofline!), and a later S that had throttle bodies instead of carbs. Aside from neither being my car, I could never relax in them with the worry of a fire. The S had two fire extinguishers plumbed in.

The throttle body car felt modern car quick,I could almost fit in it, and it always started!
The first production car hadn't really been driven since a rebuild 8 years before and I don't think I took it above 3,000rpm/50mph. A colleague sold the S for about £380k, and I sold the first production car for about £850k (aound 2012). I haven't kept track of the values in recent years.

The first one is pictured in this article, being given as a present to its namesake. The car had some better photos of that event with it, which I really should have kept copies of!
https://jalopnik.com/the-bulls-ferrucci ... er-5719004